Rogue Trader - Exodus

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:'I am Logis Ezekial. Explain yourself'.
"I'm Explorator Malachi, stationed aboard the Invictus Aeterna. I have been sent by Metanus to find out more about an invasion of Delta-X-7 by a Rogue Trader. There's said to be forbidden technology on Delta-X-7, which cannot fall into the hands of this Rogue Trader."

Malachi takes a moment to shoulder his boltgun, before drawing his staff from his back and resting some weight upon it.

"I came here, to you, to seek more information on the possible whereabouts of this tech, find it, and prevent it from falling into the hands of anyone outside the Mechanicus. Whether that means returning it to you, or holding onto it myself, it's to be kept safe."

"Ezekial, will you help me?"
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Logis Ezekial listens intently to Malachi's proposition. The sound of his hissing filters is just audible above the humming machines of the complex.

'Delta-X-7 is a cancer even in this bed of sickness that is Footfall. The asteroid has a long association with degeneracy, corruption, and crime. It is a dangerous place, anathema to life.

'There is a debased secret about Delta-X-7 for which we are in part responsible. Artisan Kreel wished to build a great Templum in the heart of the asteroid, to ensure the Cult of the Machine was strong in Footfall. But Kreel was an accursed progressivist. He believed that technology's prime purpose was to advance and improve human life, and that it's bounties should be shared to all. Technology, Malachi, must always be guarded and watched. It's mysteries are not for the comprehension of those who do not belong to the Mechanicus, lest we repeat the Dark Age of Technology.

'Kreel claimed to have found a piece of archeotech in the heart of Delta-X-7 capable of inspiring profound genetic growth. Kreel was no Genetor, but he tinkered with this accursed technology without a thought. Very quickly, the seeds of corruption spread to Delta-X-7. In the lowest depths, what was anarchic has now slipped to tribal barbarism. Vile narcotics are made there which are shipped to the rest of Footfall and beyond - narcotics which have caused infections and blasphemous mechanical growths.

'Nothing has been heard from Kreel in over a decade, and the few large-scale sorties we have launched to discover his laboratories have always met with disaster. Survivors have talked of something stalking in the darkness there - something flesh and metal. Perhaps Kreel has used this archeotech to fashion a new kind of servitor to protect his studies.

'If you can infiltrate this lair, I must entreat you to eradicate any last trace of the Cult's involvement therein. And if the technology is to be found, you must use your discretion as to whether it can be salvaged, or destroyed'.

Logis Ezekial strides closer to Malachi. Thin trails of an oily-black smoke emerge from his shadowed cowl.

'We know very little of Delta-X-7's subterrenean levels, and less of the current events therein. We have lived in solace here, becoming one spiritually with the Machine Spirits, and ignoring the wickedness in this port. But I must ask, how else can we help you?'

[Above the Access Shaft]

In the gloom of the sewage drain, Zarkov strains his artificial eye to detect signs of movement. Moments before, in the central chamber nearby, he heard a distinct splash, as if something large and heavy had fallen into the channel.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>
Location: En route to Prethian, Koronus Expanse, Segmentum Obscurus. 816.M41

Post by Lt. Commander Zarkov »

Zarkov found himself wishing he knew how to command the servo-skull holding the light source. It hung in mid-air, clicking and buzzing quietly to itself. Zarkov, uninitiated in the Machine Cult's practices, assumed it had partially shutdown, awaiting the return of its master. The light from the lumen globe played across the skulls grisly features, but failed to illuminate the tunnel beyond a few metres.

He walked slowly towards the source of the noise, with the las-carbine held ready, his eyes trying to pierce the darkness.

[Silent Move check, and Perception with Bionic eye]
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[With Zarkov's untrained ability, and poor quality leg, Silent Move is a definite failing of his. You got a two-step failure. However, you did manage to get a three step-success on your Perception roll]

His augmented leg creaks stiffly, the of sound metal bending and scraping, as Zarkov tries as he might to stealthily navigate the darkness. He stops, just as he hears two more audible splashes in the chamber beyond.

Though his leg is a painful reminder of his tragedies, Zarkov's augmented eye has its uses. In the gloom, Zarkov spies movement. Within the central channel juncture, the First Officer notices a heap of garbage. It appears to shift and bob in the gently churning sewer . . . until Zarkov notices that the bobbing is caused by something gnawing at the heap of detritus. Two long, worm like bodies swim to the garbage and begin to gnaw. Clicking and tearing, the things approach their meal with voracity.

Abruptly, the feeding stops. Zarkov sights what he thinks is the head of one of the creatures - green-black, smooth, glistening chiten rises, a worm like undulation that gives way to toxin stained mandibles and a ridge of incisors. Its body snakes and ripples, more than a metre long.

[Act quickly]
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

[Not sure if quick draw applies to the already readied carbine]

The utter disgust Zarkov felt beholding the xenos pests forced his hand. He aimed the las at the closest of the creatures and squeezed off two shots. The sound was deafening in the confined space of the sewage tunnel and his aural implants immediately cut in, suppressing the noise before they overloaded. An eerie silence descended upon him.

[Aimed fire.]
Last edited by Lt. Commander Zarkov on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Venerate the Immortal Emperor, revere his Holy name. Praise the Omnissiah, for the Machine Spirit protects.

Suffer not the Alien.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Montresor wrote:'We have lived in solace here, becoming one spiritually with the Machine Spirits, and ignoring the wickedness in this port. But I must ask, how else can we help you?'
"If you feel you can keep this tech safe, then I will aim to bring it to you -- as I find it, or destroyed. As for help, you've given me a lot to get me started, but if the threat is as serious as you say, I would very much like any spare resources you may have... combat servitors, weapons and ammunition, lumen lamps, unguents, but do not feel you need to give these if you can't commit it.

"The one thing I must ask, however, is that you assist us with shuttle transport. I'll make do by myself, if I have to, but the one thing I can't do is get to Delta-X-7 in time... especially with the restrictions on transport here."
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

[The Sewer Channel]

[Zarkov lacks Basic Weapon Training, so the Aimed action simply manages to off-set his inefficiency with the weapon (pistols are his forte). No Quick Draw was necessary]

The las-carbine blasts two shots in rapid succession. Needles of light pierce the darkness, both impacting with the chitin-covered back of the sewer-worm. The laser blasts glance off the creature's natural armour, apparently causing no harm whatsoever.

The brief, stark illumination of the carbine fire reveals two more of the hideous things. Sightless monstrosities - trunks of chitin and short hooks - they click their mandibles furiously and swim through the channel to Zarkov with avid hunger.

[In the Templum of the Plasma Generators]

'Delta-X-7 is a dangerous place, but we cannot afford to compromise our own security here by loaning kill-servitors. I will not allow a brother to go unaided against hersy, so I will do what I can. We have weapons we could loan to you - grenades, the blessed incindiaries of Mars and the Forge Worlds.

'Also, we can provide transportation. If you can reach Docking Bay K-871 within the hour, we may be able to provide a small window of opportunity to take you to Delta-X-7. We have a shuttle which will ferry you. You must be aware that the shuttle cannot wait, and you may have to make your own way back here.

'Consider finding men on Delta-X-7 who could be recruited to aid you. The asteroid is teeming with gangers and opportunists. But be careful who you trust'.

[At this point, Malachi will become aware of Zarkov's plight far above (via the servo-skull)]

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

Zarkov retreated back towards the servo skull, hailing Malachi. "Brother Explorator, we may have a problem here."

The chitinous worms grew closer. He swung the las-carbine behind his back and drew his bolt pistol and mono-sword.

[Movement, Holster, Draw and Fire. By this time the worms are probably very close. 2 shots again at closest target.]

Suffer not the Alien.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

With startling rapidity, the worms surge through the fetid channel, clambering over stone and rock-crete. Their hooks dig into the hard surface and they charge on to Zarkov. He only just has enough time to draw his bolt pistol. In the dark he glimpses an onrush of soft, sickly flesh, and hard green-black chitin. His bolt-pistol roars with two shots that rip into chitin. The bolts explode as they tear open one of the worms, spattering the walls. Two wet and torn halves audibly splash into the toxic channel.

In an instant, the other worms are upon the Lieutenant Commander. He squeezes off two more rounds, but they blindly impact somewhere in the darkness beyond.

Gnashing teeth and mandibles bite repeatedly at Zarkov's chest. The head of one worm bounces off his armour, though the other punctures through the flak with disturbing ease. Zarkov feels a mandible sink into his flesh, and a hot rush of toxin sears through his blood.

The melee pushes Zarkov back, just out of the glow from the skull. In the narrow confines and darkness, Zarkov is forced to swing wildly with his sword, impacting rock-crete again and again. The worms surge around him, one wrapping about his legs and threatening to pull Zarkov into the channel. The other climbs the wall, and seeks to bite down at his helmet.

[Zarkov has suffered one wound and temprarily used a Fate Point]

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

Zarkov struggled against the worm wrapped around his legs, but it held fast. Attempting to move into the light from the servo-skull, he lowered his bolt pistol against a part of the worm and attempted to fire.
Last edited by Lt. Commander Zarkov on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suffer not the Alien.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Malachi receives the alert signal and tells his familiar to stay close to Zarkov.

"My companion is in danger. I will gladly take any grenades you can spare, as well as directions to Docking Bay K-871, I will take my leave."
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Malachi wrote: "My companion is in danger. I will gladly take any grenades you can spare, as well as directions to Docking Bay K-871, I will take my leave."
'Brother, if the situation is dire, we can begin the Rite of Acceleration to properly inspire the Machin Spirits to bring the lift to the surface faster. But there may be some risk of injury to yourself. Do you wish us to do this?'

[In the Sewer]

Malachi's servo-skull hovers closer to the desperate struggle in the sewer, shedding light upon the fray. Struggling to keep his balance while aiming his bolt-pistol, Zarkov is pulled from the ground. The second worm wraps around his upper body while the first, drenched in waste, loses its grip and slides awkwardly free.

Almost before he knows what has happened, Zarkov feels the cold rush of the sewer rush around him. His sword is dropped somewhere in the channel, though he just retains hold of his bolt-pistol. While the loathsome sewer worm attempts to constrict the life from him, the other creature surges back into the channel, trying to regain its grip around his body.

The muted sounds of thrashing under water fill Zarkov's ears, just as the fetid waste of the channel begins to find its way through the kinks in his armour...
Last edited by Montresor on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

Thrashing against the vile xenos beast, Zarkov again tries to fire his bolt pistol, pressing it against the horrid worm-thing and working it on an angle away from his body. He held his breath against the stinking waters.
Last edited by Lt. Commander Zarkov on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suffer not the Alien.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

"I will take whatever risks are necessary to aid my companion."

With that, Malachi rushes to the lift.
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

'With the haste of Machine God, Brother'.

Malachi rushes to the elevator as Logis Ezekial summons enginseers to begin the Rite of Acceleration. Within moments, the lift is hurtling at a break-neck speed towards the sewer vault. Forced to the floor through the sheer force, Malachi braces for the inevitable impact.

[Zarkov is drowning, and has only about 8 or so rounds in which he can stay conscious under water - Malachi will arrive on the 12th round. Essentially, Zarkov had to succeed in enough opposed grapple rolls to be able to draw breath and survive a little longer. All the while, attempting to shoot the upper-most worm]

The crushing hooks of the bloated vermin dig into flak and tighten their grip upon the Lieutenant Commander. The second worm regains its grip around the legs of Zarkov, making it almost impossible for him to gain his footing. Both worms twist violently in unison, rolling Zarkov over himself dozens of times, crushing and twisting the strength out of him.

With his lungs burning and his head swimming, Zarkov holds on to his bolt pistol and struggles with the creatures as best he can. The bolt-pistol begins to loosen in his grip and he stifles an almost uncontrollable urge to vomit.

[Zarkov gains one level of fatigue on the fifth round]

Knowing that he is less than a minute from his own death, Zarkov redoubles his efforts. The muzzle of his gun pushes against the hard-chitin of a worm's head and Zarkov squeezes the trigger. The thing is blasted into the air, flying a half-dozen feet before crashing back down in the waste. Panicked, rent, and in agony, the worm escapes to the safety of another tunnel.

The second creature loses its grip in the confusion, and Zarkov is able to stand waist deep in the channel. His stance is unsteady and his head still swims in confusion. The two shots he fires from his bolt-pistol go wide and turn rock-crete into shrapnel.

A flash of mandibles and toxin coated incisors surges from the waste, tearing into Zarkov's bionic leg. Foul poison floods the augmentation to no effect, though the voracious creature rips chunks of metal away in its fetid maw.

[Zarkov suffers 1 Wound]

The lift, having slowed its pace in the last ten seconds, comes to a crashing halt. Malachi is thrown about in the interior, bashing against the walls and rails, denting them out of shape. The vault door retracts and slides open and the Explorator emerges to see Zarkov fighting for his life in the channel.

[Malachi suffers 1 Wound. Zarkov has one shot left in his clip]

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Malachi takes a moment to survey the situation before charging at the creature with shock staff in hand.
Ezra
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

As the worms rears to strike at Zarkov, Malachi charges and leaps into the channel, driving his staff into the centre of its back. Electrical power ripples through the staff and over the creature, causing it to spasm wildly. As the thing writhes, Zarkov brings his bolt-pistol to touch the top of its head. Squeezing the trigger, the bolt roars and the worm's chitinous head explodes. The body slowly subsides beneath the waste clogged channel, still convulsing in shock as it does.

[If nothing is done, Logis Ezekial will arrive at the top in a few minutes with directions to the shuttle, two frag grenades, and a blind grenade. I feel it's only fair to point out that Zarkov's sword is somewhere in the channel]

Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

"It looks like you had everything in order here."
Ezra
Lt. Commander Zarkov
<i>Elohim</i>

To Zarkov, the red-robed Explorator appeared like a guardian angel from the lift-well, smiting the worm with mysterious lightning.

"Brother Explorator!" Zarkov spluttered in between bouts of coughing. "Your robes!" The bottom of the tech-priest's attire was coated in the filth of the channel. Zarkov, on the other hand, was completely covered in stinking detritus. He momentarily forgot about his brush with death and simply gaped at the tech-priest.
Malachi wrote:"It looks like you had everything in order here."
"Forgive me, brother. I did not mean to interrupt your meeting." Zarkov grimaced. "These things proved too quick for me." He realised that this could be taken as an ingratitude to his bionic leg, and bowed his head.

"You must get out of this filth, Explorator, please..." He kept his head low. "And thank you. I did not wish to meet my end in a sewer."

Realising his mono-sword was still lost in the waste, Zarkov began to sift through the debris and filth in the channel. He could not bring himself to ask the tech-priest for help, such a dishonour that would be. The servo-skull hung over him silently.

[Hampered by his injuries and poor visibility, Zarkov wades in the toxic filth for well over 5 minutes before finding his sword.]

Finally, close to giving up, Zarkov's hand closed around the base of the sword's grip. Wiping the filth of the ancient weapon, he caught a glimpse of his reflection in the shiny surface. He and the sword had seen better days.
Last edited by Lt. Commander Zarkov on Sun May 02, 2010 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suffer not the Alien.
Malachi
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Malachi »

Lt. Commander Zarkov wrote:"Brother Explorator!" Zarkov spluttered in between bouts of coughing. "Your robes!" The bottom of the tech-priest's attire was coated in the filth of the channel. Zarkov, on the other hand, was completely covered in stinking detritus. He momentarily forgot about his brush with death and simply gaped at the tech-priest.
"It looks like you had everything in order here."
Lt. Commander Zarkov wrote:"Forgive me, brother. I did not mean to interrupt your meeting." Zarkov grimaced. "These things proved to quick for me." He realised that this could be taken as an ingratitude to his bionic leg, and bowed his head.

"You must get out of this filth, Explorator, please..."
Were the light strong enough, a smile would have been seen in Malachi's eyes. He places a friendly pat on Zarkov's shoulder."

"Please Zarkov, there's no need for such formality..."

He gestures to the chunks of waste lapping at their legs.

"...especially in such a casual setting. Besides, I've stood in far worse than this."
Lt. Commander Zarkov wrote:"And thank you. I did not wish to meet my end in a sewer."
Ah, as for my rescue of you, it looked more like I nearly stole your rightful vengeance on this thing."

Zarkov suddenly begins his search, and Malachi proceeds to offer his assistance, but Zarkov looks so intent on finding his... whatever he's looking for, that Malachi decides to let him be.

"I'll just be over here, then," he says, and points in the direction of the lift he exited from.
Ezra

Return to “Rogue Trader”