Do you like philosophy?

Links to the outside world.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Do you like philosophy?

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I've been a member of ephilosopher.com for... maybe 5 years by now, and it's probably the forum I've invested the most of myself in inasmuch as philosophy is the academic subject I care about the most. Right now, we're recovering from major alterations to the site, and a lot of our strongest members from before no longer contribute. So off and on we're stuck with just the few of us who are decent posters either running in circles around each other, or dealing with irritating crazies who ramble about "The Death of Atheism" or how there's an Einstein cult running the physics community or whatever.

So, if that sounds like something worth fighting against, or less confrontationally, if a dedicated philosophy forum sounds like something worth participating in, register with ephilosopher.com and help us restore our erstwhile grace, yeah?

(I'm Szavieur over there, btw, if that matters.)

EDIT: Kevin's Watch has to be the most civil discussion group I've ever been a part of online, I think. If you guys could infuse ephilosopher with the same spirit of courtesy, I'd be happier than I might know how to adequately express.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've actually tried a few times. I registered (Patterner) and made a few posts. But the people just say stuff that's either pseudo-intellectual gibberish, or stuff that's way too specialized for me to understand.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i do not like philosophy.

more of an action man myself.

(i'm happy - hope you're happy too.)

but i hope you find like minded people here anyway. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

sgt.null wrote:i do not like philosophy.

more of an action man myself.
I think it's a mistake to think that philosophy goes hand in hand with inaction. As Du Marsais wrote, "Reason is to the philosopher what grace is to the Christian. Grace causes the Christian to act, reason the philosopher. Other men are carried away by their passions, their actions not being preceded by reflection: these are the men who walk in darkness. On the other hand, the philosopher, even in his passions, acts only after reflection: he walks in the dark, but by a torch.”
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Of course, you could always come start a few threads in our own philosophy forum, The Close.

;)

--A
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam

Avatar wrote:Of course, you could always come start a few threads in our own philosophy forum, The Close.

;)

--A
That's not a bad idea, but I wish ephilosopher were doing better nonetheless. :(
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Do you like philosophy?
What do people mean by "like", really? And what do they mean by "philosophy"? Isn't man the only animal that philosophizes? And if so, isn't not liking philosophy a solipsistic metaphor for being animalistic? And what do you mean, "do"? Is time a fixed matrix in which we all exist, or are we free to determine what we do do and don't do. Heh... I used do do in a philosophy post! ...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, we could move this to the Close if you like...

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

nobody got the bowie allusion/quote.

why does no=one GET me?

:)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Haven Farm”