Any of yall remember Dark Future?

Forum-based role-playing games

Moderators: Xar, Goatkiller666

Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Any of yall remember Dark Future?

Post by Dorian »

Hey guys

I randomly stumbled across some old pics of the old Games workshop game, Dark Future, the awesome mad max styled game of theirs from the late 80s.

I was wondering if any of you old GW fans remember it? If so, do you not agree that it would make for an awesome RPG?

The rules to the old game are available for free on GW website. It wouldnt take TO much work to splice them with a more conventional RPG to run some sorta sandbox style game.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Any of yall remember Dark Future?

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Yo dawg! I ain't never heard of that game, yo. But you know I'm always down for playing whatevs.

Who would RUN it, though? I think all the game masters are already running games right now.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

I can barely keep up with my own game to start another
Seska Karantanija
Giantfriend

Post by Seska Karantanija »

I'll preemptively say "No" before GK sends me an IM suggesting it. :P
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

I remember it. Check out the Jack Yeovil (Kim Newman) novels about it. It was like an alternate 1980s, in which the world had collapsed. Elvis Presley was a road policeman, John Lennon was the leader of the British oppossition, Nixon had inadvertently turned the US into a giant desert. Great stuff.

One of the Yeovil novels had Presley encountering a cult of Ku Klux Klan who worshipped a giant alligator in the Florida swamps.

I can't run it . . . anyway, Borderlands is close enough to the theme.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Oh yeah. When's that gonna happen? I'm liking Andrea enough that I wouldn't mind if Borderlands took a while, though.
Drokken
Servant of the Land

Post by Drokken »

The guy who runs the gaming club (also the owner of JKLM games) I go to has a copy. I remember there being some nice artwork on the box. I'll have to give it a go at some point...

On a sideline note, someone please take me under there wing and get me involved in a roleplay on here, if not I think my brain my implode.
Kalindriel Ec'urb
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kalindriel Ec'urb »

Oooooh! I wouldn't want to miss that.

[Waits impatiently for brain implosion]
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Drokken, all of the PnP games except Darkwood are full up right now. Darkwood has one open slot, but the DM for that game just went out of town until the middle of next week. But, if you're interested in some old skool D&D 3.5 action, send a PM to Seven Words expressing your interest.

Syl had said there was room in Acropolis a couple turns ago, I'm not sure how he feels about it right now. It's a turn-based deity game, set in a single city. Similarly, Aesir has had some attrition recently, so Odin might be willing to let you join. It's also a turn-based deity game, but set on a whole world.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Theres always room in mine but I struggle to keep up and hardly update so I wouldn't recommend it :P
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Drokken wrote: On a sideline note, someone please take me under there wing and get me involved in a roleplay on here, if not I think my brain my implode.
I hear rumours of Lore doing another Zombie Apocalypse game. It's not strictly RPG, but it can be played a bit like one.

I've given thought to allowing a new PC into Rogue Trader, but I may just over-tax my output if I do.
Goatkiller666 wrote:Oh yeah. When's that gonna happen? I'm liking Andrea enough that I wouldn't mind if Borderlands took a while, though.
I'm not working on it unil I submit my PhD. In any case, I won't run it until I have finished the Rogue Trader campaign.
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

If Lore is starting up a new game, I'll be the first to suggest resurrecting his Requiem game. I miss Ivan.
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Goatkiller666 wrote:If Lore is starting up a new game, I'll be the first to suggest resurrecting his Requiem game. I miss Ivan.
He's running that over the table. I think it's too much work to do online. The game he told me he's doing is another Zombie Apocalypse game, like his original. This is all rumour, of course.

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

ohmygawd, I would play ZA hard-core.
Jack Frost the hobo lives on!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Read the signature. If it's in GT, I'll play it.

(I just KNOW someone's going to want to start up a Care Bears game, just out of spite. Fear not, SkullF---er Bear has a plan.)
Seska Karantanija
Giantfriend

Post by Seska Karantanija »

I've always wanted to run a Strawberry Shortcake game!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Someone needs to do an old skool Paranoia game. Or, my old favorite, Human Occupied Landfill.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

I may well be the only one who HAS Paranoia. The 5th edition, to be exact. :)

Company folded about 10 years ago, and nobody else has bought the rights to it.

I also have Teenagers From Outer Space. Goat, Seska.....either of you remember playing that one night at college?
Drokken
Servant of the Land

Post by Drokken »

Ohh... they're two of my favourite words put together... Zombie... Apocalypse...

Just having finished The Zombie Survival Guide, and World War Z, something like that would be great

However, How would it be not strictly RPG?
Last edited by Drokken on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dorian »

Yeah, that would rule. I had World War Z. awesome book.

Ive been looking for a good Zombie Survival PC game for ages that isn't just kills the swarm. Perhaps I should give up and just wait for Lores game :P

Return to “Gravin Threndor”