Caesures unnoticed prior to 100 years ago

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Orlion wrote:
wayfriend wrote:If there is only one timeline, then there would be no way to create a paradox, and the Arch of Time would not be in danger. So if this is correct, then a lot of people are worried about nothing.
I think being able to travel backwards in time when time only moves forward is fairly paradoxical, though how much it would harm the Arch, I don't know. Maybe it's just the change in the form of the timeline, in which it is naturally a string, but through caesures could be bunched together creating a weakness in the Arch...
"Fairly paradoxical"? Is that like "kinda pregnant"? :wink:

Isn't there some textual support for the idea that time travel damages the Arch, but doesn't bring it down immediately like a paradox would?
Yes, a fair amount spread around...some discussion that Joans ceasures are whittling away, the only reason haven't destroyed arch entirely is because, they "give instants back as rapidly as they rip them away" [roughly]. And she's striking madly, randomly, doesn't [can't] aim at something and hit it.
The battle around the staff in the past...they had to drag everyone forward because no significant battle at that place/time ever happened.
Melenkurion falling doesn't break it because it was going to break anyway, and no one important "native" to "either" time was close enough to matter.
The way I read the various travelers experiences within the ceasures point towards the damage they are doing as well.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Let's keep the FR spoilers out of the Runes forum, please.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Oops...ceasure got me...coulda sworn I was in FR forum...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Vraith wrote:Oops...ceasure got me...coulda sworn I was in FR forum...
This is a difficult rule to follow. We're told to expect spoilers on the Last Chrons forum, except it turns out we're to keep the spoilers topical to the proper sub-forum.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
sevensterre
Servant of the Land

Post by sevensterre »

Vraith wrote:Not a bad analogy, WF.
There still comes a point of paradox with linear time, if something important enough changes [serious damage to the tracks, or a bridge not built, whatever] or [which is what Joan has done so far] you keep piling up the little ones.
Of course, every bit of that danger comes from outside the Arch...one of the ideas I love about this 'universe' is that Time isn't fully a sorting mechanism, matter of perception, it really exists; at the same time it isn't fully a 'natural law'...it was constructed, it didn't just happen, or be.
I think the caesures exist in all times but are only visible at certain times. From the point of view of the time where someone disappeared. There just gone and no one knows why they are missing. I also think that a good analogy for the caesures is a tornado. The tornado may have a ten mile path but only touch down for part of it.

Kevin
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, sevensterre. (Why not introduce yourself o'er in the Summonsing forum?)

I agree with the tornado analogy, I guess. I suppose "touching down" would be the caesure manifesting somehow, to be visible or to snatch someone up. If I understand you correctly.
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Post by Soarback Grayhare »

I have a hard time understanding how caesures can exist in all time, but be seen moving by an observer. This may be hard to explain. I'm not sure I'm wrapping my head around it correctly.

Say I am standing on Kevin's Watch, and I see a caesure. If it exists in all time, everyone throughout history would see it in that exact place. That would mean that yesterday that caesure is seen in that place, and the day before, and tomorrow. If you walked into it, you could pop out anywhere, but in that same place.

Now say it's 12:00 Central standard Land time on Kevin's Watch, and I see a caesure moving across the plain. The location where I see it at 12 is the same everyone else sees it, throughout time. If I see it at 12 in a certain place, that means I would have seen it at 11:45 at the same place, and it will still be there at 12:15. But if I see it move, it is not seen the same throughout time. This is the tricky part. If it moves, that means it was in a different place 15 minutes ago when I should have seen it in the same place.

This makes my head hurt. It also leads me to picture caesures, the actual visible falls, as independent doors to the place where time is happening all at once (you know, the place where the Time Warden sees all). You enter a door (caesure) in one time and place, and you exit through another door (caesure) at a different time and place. The room you enter is 'ALL TIME'.

Joan, or Linden, or whoever has made the 'enter' doors, but the 'exit' doors were made from within by some travelers to go to a desired time, and by other travelers (Anele) to pop out in an unknown time . How?

Anyway, that's my confusing take.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”