The most unneeded character?

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Joy wrote:Give Liete Corregio a break, ok? She inspired SRD to some of my all-time favorite writing.
Agreed. I love the first chapter from her point of view. The whole wind metaphor is cool.

The thing that I sometimes found odd is not that there are silly little characters, because every book has and needs them. It's more the way SRD names some and not others. For some amazingly odd reason, Alba Parmute (Data third then Data second, Captain's Fancy) has a first and last name, but Captain's Fancy's Helm first doesn't get either. Why does Malda Verone (Targ first, Captain's Fancy) get a last name when Carmel and Lind (Scan first and Communications first repsectively, Captain's Fancy) don't? Alesha Hardaway (Targ first, Free Lunch even gets a last name, but UMCPHQ Chief of Security Manditch doesn't. It's just quite odd sometimes.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

I think Sunja Pilat was a useless character. No point in having that one around IMHO.

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Nuh-uh, without Alba's incompetence Morn would not have been able to free Davies and without Liete Captain's Fancy probably wouldn't have been destroyed and Nick might not have gone crazy.

My vote would be for Glessen. All he contributed to the books was a swear word leading to a mental note from Min Donner that never actually led to anything.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Glessen?! His heroic efforts as Punisher's targ officer (gunner) kept both Punisher and Trumpet alive. Without Glessen, Calm Horizons would have killed Trumpet before they could either broadcast the the formula or get home.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Punisher would have had three other targ officers, are we sure it was always Glessen? I can't remember offhand.

To be honest though, I don't think SRD is in the habit of writing in unnecessary characters.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

It was always Glessen when a name was mentioned.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

variol son wrote:
Joy wrote:Give Liete Corregio a break, ok? She inspired SRD to some of my all-time favorite writing.
Agreed. I love the first chapter from her point of view. The whole wind metaphor is cool.

The thing that I sometimes found odd is not that there are silly little characters, because every book has and needs them. It's more the way SRD names some and not others. For some amazingly odd reason, Alba Parmute (Data third then Data second, Captain's Fancy) has a first and last name, but Captain's Fancy's Helm first doesn't get either. Why does Malda Verone (Targ first, Captain's Fancy) get a last name when Carmel and Lind (Scan first and Communications first repsectively, Captain's Fancy) don't? Alesha Hardaway (Targ first, Free Lunch even gets a last name, but UMCPHQ Chief of Security Manditch doesn't. It's just quite odd sometimes.

Sum sui generis
Vs
I thought she was an idiot... just went killed herself for Nick... Not very realistic if you ask me.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

No, I think it was pretty realistic. Remember that Nick had a hell of a reputation as a swashbuckling pirate captain and Liete obviously felt very strongly for him. By the time CF reached Billingate the only people who had started to see through Nick's facade were the people he effectively kicked off the ship; Mikka, Vector, Sib and Ciro. Therefore, when the time came, the only people left aboard were either devout Nick-followers (Liete, Lind, Malda Verone), people who probably wpuldn't have sacrificed themselves for Nick, but weren't in a position to do anything about it (Alba, Ransum etc) and Pastille (and Liete was awake to the threat he posed).

I thought it was really quite poignant that twenty-something people died (most of them unwillingly) to save Nick, who was by now proving to be something of a dirtbag. I think that, given the choice, Nick would have let Tranquil Hegemony blow him and the others away rather than have Captain's Fancy destroyed. He cared about little else beyond his own reputation, which would probably endure if he were mown down whilst attempting a daring rescue from the amnion sector and his crew lived to tell the tale.

I think it would have been interesting to have seen Pastille's reaction when he realised what Liete was about to do, and if the others were as loyal as Liete believed.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

The amount of character development on Free Lunch and crew always struck me as disproportionate to her fate. I have wondered if SRD at one time intended to do more with the characters.
variol son wrote: The thing that I sometimes found odd is not that there are silly little characters, because every book has and needs them. It's more the way SRD names some and not others. For some amazingly odd reason, Alba Parmute (Data third then Data second, Captain's Fancy) has a first and last name, but Captain's Fancy's Helm first doesn't get either. Why does Malda Verone (Targ first, Captain's Fancy) get a last name when Carmel and Lind (Scan first and Communications first repsectively, Captain's Fancy) don't? Alesha Hardaway (Targ first, Free Lunch even gets a last name, but UMCPHQ Chief of Security Manditch doesn't. It's just quite odd sometimes.

Sum sui generis
Vs
And no one on Soar is ever mentioned by name. Most annoying.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

having seen this topic prior to reading Gap and now, having nearly finished, i had to come back here and comment.

i didn't find ANY superfluous characters in this series. everyone served a purpose no matter how fractional. as a matter of fact, i think that the Gap Cycle is some of Donaldson's best writing!!!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Yay, Lucimay! My pick for all-time best sci fi series.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Lucimay wrote: as a matter of fact, i think that the Gap Cycle is some of Donaldson's best writing!!!
I think it is his best.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'll second that.

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Wait..do you mean it's his second best, or are you seconding that it's his best? :D

I've only read TCOTC and the GAP (well DOR too)-and only read the GAP once (so far) so it's hard to judge.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

drew wrote:Wait..do you mean it's his second best, or are you seconding that it's his best? :D
The second. :twisted:

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

:x
ARRRRGH!
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

What? 8O

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I'll let you know in a second, or two.
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

drew having a blond moment :lol: