Balance of Power- Intro Thread

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Lord of the Gyre
Ramen

Balance of Power- Intro Thread

Post by Lord of the Gyre »

Hello everyone. You may have noticed me post in some of the other forums over the past few days, but I hadn't noticed this forum until earlier today. Now generally I frequent several forums similar in purpose to GT, and even admin quite a few. Therefore I'd like to offer my skills and game ideas to see if anyone wants to play (or if I'm even allowed to GM) any of them. They're all history themed except for one, so sorry if that doesn't interest you.

BALANCE OF POWER
My specialty is Balance of Power games. In the words of my friend "Sonny":
Balance of Power is a forum game where YOU control and play as a nation's leader. During any time period from World War I, World War II, the Cold War, or Modern day you take on the role of the leader of any nation. Use diplomatic skills to win over foreign nations' support. Send covert agents to kill enemies. Or if all else fails, send in your army to conquer. Build an economic giant or a military empire. Work side by side with allies in NATO, Warsaw Pact, the Allies, Axis, or Unaligned Nations. Work peacefully or rabble rouse in the United Nations. In Balance of Power history can be changed for the good or worse. Spread Democracy to the world as the United States or dominate it with your Communist might as the Soviet Union. Your options are limitless.
I could run three versions of this game. One would be during World War II, the other would be at the turn of the century/age of imperialism, and the other during the Cold War (1969). I am very experienced at these games and would love to teach you guys how to play.

Europe Burning: Bloody Twilight
A semi-RPG where you play as a military officer (with a sizeable amount of men following you) in a post-apocalyptic Central Europe, ravaged by a war between democracy and communism.

Untitled Three Ages Project: You play as a tribe at the beginning of the Neolithic Age on a fictional island. You are in charge of progressing through the first developments of civilization, from the Paleolithic to the Bronze Age. The forum game I'm copying this from is much more complex, but I'll leave a lot of this (such as the backstories to your civilization) up to you guys. Note: I may add some fantastical elements such as prehistoric creatures or tribes of non-Homo Sapiens.

Verada: Freeform RPG game set in a banana republic during the Cold War. You play as a politician, military figure, or rebel leader (with a possible transition from one to another). Sort of a government simulation with war. Probably the most boring but also the most freeform.

Anyone interested? Or rather, is anyone cool with me running one of these games? Just mention which ones.
Last edited by Lord of the Gyre on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But a moment later Kasreyn twitched. His limbs shifted. Slowly, stiffly, he climbed to his hands and knees, then to his feet. An instant ago, he had had no pulse: now his heart beat with renewed vigor. Strength flowed back into him. He turned to face the company. He was grinning like a promise of murder."

Gamemaster of Balance of Power 1936
Casper von Hausberg in Vampire: Dark Ages
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

I'd be interested in a Cold War Balance of Power, or the Europe Burning game.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Something other than
Deities and Vampires!
Oh, and D&D...

Seems a nice change, but
I will still just make trouble
By writing poems
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm interested in the Europe game, but I need alot more information about it before I could commit.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

My son, Dam-et, is a WWII fount-of-knowledge and might be interested in playing either the BoP game or whichever you may end up putting on. Will keep watching...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The more freeform the better as far as I'm concerned, if by freeform you mean what I think you mean. :D

(Edit: oh, and you're pretty much welcome to run a game in here, as long as you have enough players to make it worthwhile. Games that stop or become defunct from lack of play will be archived.)

--A
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I'd be down for any or all of those games. My .sig could stand a couple extra lines of vanity.
Lord of the Gyre
Ramen

Excellent. Europa Burning is based rather loosely off of the RPG Twilight 2000. For the backstory behind it, read this. I have a map that I'm not really proud of either, but if you want I can post this.

Regarding BOP, I'd be extremely willing to run a WWII or Cold War game. For either game, I will need anywhere from 6-12 players (preferably around 9 or 10), so get more people to join and I'll begin to write stats up
"But a moment later Kasreyn twitched. His limbs shifted. Slowly, stiffly, he climbed to his hands and knees, then to his feet. An instant ago, he had had no pulse: now his heart beat with renewed vigor. Strength flowed back into him. He turned to face the company. He was grinning like a promise of murder."

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Your "Untitled Three Ages Project" sounds really interesting...
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Lord of the Gyre
Ramen

balon! wrote:Your "Untitled Three Ages Project" sounds really interesting...
Oh, yeah. I'm starting to lean towards this or BOP, since I'm working on Europa Burning on a different forum.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

So, when would this be looking to start? Do I need to go get a copy of Twilight 2000, now?
Montresor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Montresor »

Goatkiller666 wrote:So, when would this be looking to start? Do I need to go get a copy of Twilight 2000, now?
Good luck in finding one . . .

I used to run that game many, many years ago. Liked the setting, but found the system too cumbersome. I did use it once to run a decent zombie apocalypse game, though.

Forgive my off-topic ramble, I'll depart now.
"For the love of God, Montresor!"
"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!" - Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

The all knowing gods of the Interwebs will provide for me, as always they have.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

I remember seeing ads for twilight 2000, they were with my Car Wars Deluxe Edition Box Set I got back in 1986....and still have...sans actual box, but have all the stuff.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

All hail the Interwebs. I have asked, and they have provided. I now possess Twilight 2000 rulebooks.

Huzzah!
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I ask this in full knowledge that I'm way to busy to even be posting to my current stuff right now. But, any kind of ETA on getting this started? It sounds hella cool.
Lord of the Gyre
Ramen

Oh, right, this. I'm kind of in the middle of a transition in my life, but I could get Europa Burning started pretty soon (I think).

Unless of course you guys want to play BOP.

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Notwithstanding my recent lack of postings, I'm down for whatever you want to run.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Whichever...
Lord of the Gyre
Ramen

Bumpin this.

Gonna get it started soon.

Return to “Balance of Power”