time and consequences

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

time and consequences

Post by lorin »

When Linden first goes back in time to find the staff of law she is very concerned about not affecting (effecting - I always get that wrong) the future yet when Linden is sent back in time and ends up assisting Berek by healing the wounded and showing the warriors how to find and use hurtloam doesn't that act in itself change the future?
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It's a tough one, mostly if you believe in the advice Homer got on his wedding day ("If you go back in time, don't touch anything! For the slightest change could alter history in ways you couldn't imagine!"). In this case, any interaction with the past would, theoretically, cause a huge change in history.

The story itself, however, doesn't operate on this level. It seems that you can interact with things in the past and be all right, just so long as your prescense isn't noticed or can be explained in terms of its history. Hence, history may have been changed (Linden heals the army instead of something else happening) but her actions are not enough to change the course of history.

Also, it seems to be implied that if Linden doesn't know what's suppose to happen and just acts as she would, she wouldn't change history (under normal circumstances, I'm sure if she nuked Berek's army that'd be significant enough to change the flow of time :D )
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: time and consequences

Post by Vraith »

lorin wrote:When Linden first goes back in time to find the staff of law she is very concerned about not affecting (effecting - I always get that wrong) the future yet when Linden is sent back in time and ends up assisting Berek by healing the wounded and showing the warriors how to find and use hurtloam doesn't that act in itself change the future?
Hee hee...welcome to time travel paradox Land!
There's lots of discussion of these issues scattered around.
The "strictly logical" best is that known history is spotty or inaccurately known, what Linded did isn't known history, but is the way it always really did happen.

The second best [and most consistent with what we know and has been said] is that if it makes minor changes, but has no world altering effect [for example, enough troops to win survived anyway, hurtloam was discovered a bit later and differently, but still found] the arch has enough "flex" to cover it.

And, btw, I'm not sure if you were correcting yourself, or making fun of your original mistake, but affecting is correct. Linden affects the future...what happens are effects.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Linden (guided by the Theomach) acted in a way which created a closed, paradox-free time loop. Anything she caused in Berek's time became part of the timeline in which Covenant, Linden, Hile Troy, Joan, Roger and Jeremiah enter the Land in the future.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

lorin wrote:When Linden first goes back in time to find the staff of law she is very concerned about not affecting (effecting - I always get that wrong) the future yet when Linden is sent back in time and ends up assisting Berek by healing the wounded and showing the warriors how to find and use hurtloam doesn't that act in itself change the future?
Affect is almost always used as a verb. The rather unused verb "effect" is almost always stated in the context literally of "something effected a change."
So if you're not saying "X effected a change," then use the verb "affect." "It affected me; therefore, it had an effect."

Rarely, except in psychological circles, "affect" is used as a noun. An affect is an emotion, and it is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

DrPaul is correct. It is the Theomach who altered the intent of those who brought Linden out of her own time and who guided the interactions with Berek's camp so that the timeline was not violated and so established history either occurred as it should (some sort of closed loop...) or was facilitated to achieve the old end in a new way that created no inconsistency.

(BTW, yay Lorin! One post to go to hit the 1k mark. Do not make us wait long for it, please!)
:7up:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Savor Dam wrote:
(BTW, yay Lorin! One post to go to hit the 1k mark. Do not make us wait long for it, please!)
:7up:
8O By gums, you're right! Lorin is one post away from giving up her entire soul to the Watch :twisted: One of us, one of us... ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Orlion wrote:...............In this case, any interaction with the past would, theoretically, cause a huge change in history.
Not necessarily, it certainly has the potential to, but may equally not change one thing. In something like chaos theory, the very act of being, breathing, walking, in the past could be cataclysmic to the future/present. But there are also butterflies whose wings beat in the Brazilian rainforests and there are no hurricanes in Africa and the only consequences is that the insect flies. Whilst I agree there is a liklihood that events may be altered by interference in the past it is not necessarily sequential.

There is also the paradox of how would you know? If you changed the past and as a consequence changed the future (ie the changer's relative present) you'd simply remember the new history. If you recalled a signpost pointed West and it was the same signpost that as a kid pointed West and you went back in time and changed it so that it pointed East surely your childhood memory of it would then be that it always pointed East.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

Also let us not forget that the Theomach, as Berek's teacher would be able to explain away LA's powers as the initial 'unfettered one', (which he did), her SOL as an instrument by which she wielded earthpower, (which it is). and her knowledge of earthpower, her ability to heal and her overall differences, as well as Rodger's and Jeremiah's, by highlighting that there are other races out in the world that Berek may or may not meet in his days of lordship.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Affect is almost always used as a verb. The rather unused verb "effect" is almost always stated in the context literally of "something effected a change."
So if you're not saying "X effected a change," then use the verb "affect." "It affected me; therefore, it had an effect."

Rarely, except in psychological circles, "affect" is used as a noun. An affect is an emotion, and it is pronounced with the stress on the first syllable.
I love the English language. It's so straightforward...
Thorhammerhand wrote:Also let us not forget that the Theomach, as Berek's teacher would be able to explain away LA's powers as the initial 'unfettered one', (which he did), her SOL as an instrument by which she wielded earthpower, (which it is). and her knowledge of earthpower, her ability to heal and her overall differences, as well as Rodger's and Jeremiah's, by highlighting that there are other races out in the world that Berek may or may not meet in his days of lordship.
Exactly. And Donaldson makes it a point to have the Theomach tell Linden he's done this, for both internal consistency and to let the reader know that he's aware of the potential paradoxes he's introduced. The Theomach even insists that Berek never speak of the events regarding Linden the Healer, because her name must not become part of the Land's history. Fortunately, though Berek wants for her to be celebrated, he agrees.

It's also pointed out that if a change is minor enough, or if it can be incorporated into the known timeline, then no damage is done. But as Orlion said, if Linden had done something like killing Berek and Damelon, that would probably bust the Arch.
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Thorhammerhand wrote:
Also let us not forget that the Theomach, as Berek's teacher would be able to explain away LA's powers as the initial 'unfettered one', (which he did), her SOL as an instrument by which she wielded earthpower, (which it is). and her knowledge of earthpower, her ability to heal and her overall differences, as well as Rodger's and Jeremiah's, by highlighting that there are other races out in the world that Berek may or may not meet in his days of lordship.

Exactly. And Donaldson makes it a point to have the Theomach tell Linden he's done this, for both internal consistency and to let the reader know that he's aware of the potential paradoxes he's introduced. The Theomach even insists that Berek never speak of the events regarding Linden the Healer, because her name must not become part of the Land's history. Fortunately, though Berek wants for her to be celebrated, he agrees.

This got me thinking back when I first read the 1st books.

So much "as do" with the Unfettered. There didn't seem to be a reason why SRD placed so much with them. And that was the point I didn't understand. Why go thru the Lorestat and not become a Lord? Seem to be the best way to use Earthpower. But in the first Chronicles the Unfettered were given a special place within the story line.

Now with FR, SRD ties in the connections. Linden's name wasn't preserved but her "actions of unbound" use of Earthpower was preserved.
It now looks like Linden was honored by proxy when the people and Lords speak highly of the Unfettered.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

I guess its just a whimsy and perhaps is better in the "names" thread, but the "unfettered" also remove many constraints of the author in that they are not totally defined as to their powers, limitations or lineage. SRD could, if he chose, work many a plotline around abilities we are yet to fathom.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"

Return to “Fatal Revenant”