Aesir 2.0

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Erd
<i>Elohim</i>

Aesir 2.0

Post by Erd »

Odin wrote:I'm running into a problem. I have no idea what to do about it. Some of you have been doing serious things for a long time. Building and building. I set it up so growth would be slow, simply because I knew I wouldn't be able to handle turns where 3, 4, 5, 6 deities have 5, 6, 7, 8 DRPs each. But some things are getting to that point anyway. In many cases, my results could easily be nothing more than "Yeah, you got what you wanted".

What I'm saying is, I don't know how to handle the game. Have I mentioned I'm not a GM? :lol: So I need you folks to talk about how stuff might go. I don't even know what I mean, or what could help me do this, but I need some sort of input.
Without something to strive against, we're going to just come up with random s--t and do it. Flying cities, continent-wide forests, inventing new races, whatever. Especially now that all of the belligerent gods are gone, there's nothing to fight against. Anything else will just be "improving the life of our followers" which kind of automatically translates into "grow our civilizations".

That said, I've always felt that Xar takes things a bit too far with all of the random and targeted things that can cause problems for the gods, but regardless of my opinion, he's always got stuff for us to do. There's always an enemy, or an uprising, or a group of followers who do something dumb. It makes it more challenging (and thus more interesting) to try to accomplish our goals. Add to that that there are a number of "evil" or at least opposing gods, and things stay fun.

In the same light, Acropolis had the Barbarians, who still seem to be on the horizon, about to cause mischief.

So, give us some conflict. Force it on us. Either amongst ourselves (Mekoth is about to explode... all those gods need to relocate their people elsewhere... fighting ensues on Ayana / Troon.) or with some NPC. Make up some kind of enemy god, like the World Breaker or Demos, and see how we react. Perhaps the followers of Lliannon, through their continued faith, somehow manage to create an NPC god of nightmares, and they go on the rampage to terrorize the rest of the world?

I've suggested privately, have all of the people of Nerie instantly transported to some new world, where there are the left-overs of many ancient previous civilizations... casts Odin in a darker light, no? That he keeps growing up people / gods and then dropping them into this new place where they somehow die out. We don't know why. We get to figure it out. And our peoples are thrown together with new neighbors and different allocations of resources, etc. Maybe what killed the previous iterations will kill us. Maybe they killed each other. Maybe they just ascended and left bodies behind.

So, put on your Bahkti / Bahkti / Zephyr hat and throw some challanges our way. Try to recruite some players to be evil. (Don't make me start out at rank 1 on an otherwise full world, and I might consider starting a new nemesis character.)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I wouldn't rush anything. We're like different species of bacteria in a petri dish. We'll eventually have to start fighting for resources. And there are always unintended consequences (like the whole Old Man Winter thing. that was cool).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Whereas I like concentrating on world building and storyline, without struggle and conflict. The ongoing story with the four prophets in Candler is really intriguing me right now. I may just need to attempt to draw a fifth prophet in to it too, with the way things went this past season...
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

I've got a few little things up my sleeve for Narie as well.
I say give it at least a couple more turns before anything TOO drastic.

OTOH, I'm always game to give it another do-over. I've got too many character ideas, and Aesir is my perfect pace. I could play this forever...
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Yeah, I wasn't saying we needed to have a redux. Erd has stuff planned out for the next eight turns, at least. And that's before interacting with other deities (in a beneficial, trading kind of way, not combative).

But in order to keep Odin's interest, I figure three straight turns of "dump all my power into this" wouldn't cut it.

I mean, really... I wouldn't be at all surprised if we each could just tell Odin what our next four turns would be, he processes them all as a batch, and BOOM... we're a year later.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

hmm...
nah.

I'm enjoying my current storyline too much to jump a year ahead.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

It's not jumping. It's just compressing the processing time. Let Odin flex his creative muscles in writing out bigger and better (or at least more detailed) turn results, based on four times as much input from us.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

And by "at least" I meant only that the current quality of the turn results are already great (as balon! said). Not trying to imply that he needs to improve. That said... a turn result that was four times as long would HAVE to be four times as good, right?

Right?

Return to “Aesir & Vanir”