Which book(s) of SK didn't you like?

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Which book(s) of SK didn't you like?

Post by Revan »

Which one did you hate the most?
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Didn't like:

TommyKnockers
Desperation/The Regulators
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

SK is like a drug habit to me. I'll read it no matter what the quality. But The Tommyknockers is definitely one of my least favorites, along with thr Regulators, and Misery. :?
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Oh, and I didn't much care for Dreamcatcher. :?
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Ditto on dreamcatcher the beginning was good though... I never finished it... There was another on that I didn't like but I can't remember the name of it... figures I guess.

Pie and Cake
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Bag of Bones

It just didn't seem like anything worthwhile happened.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Dreamcatcher
Tommy Knockers
Bag Of Bones
The Regulators

just to name a few... he's got a hellva body of work and it's amazing that almost all of his books hit the best seller lists, some stay on it longer than others but he's an automatic "sell-out" whenever his newest works hit the shelves.

But as with the titles (and others) mentioned (above) writers do hit slumps now and again.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

Tommyknockers, Regulators (evil Power Rangers), and half of the Dark Half. They all blew!

-B
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
DarkReflection
Ramen

Post by DarkReflection »

Tommyknockers

heres my quick synopsis....
Spoiler
girl discovers thing in ground....weird green light...teeth begin falling out......weird green light.....someone dies.....weird green light...somthing blows up....weird green light.....someone invents somthing...weird green light...followed by more...weird green light....everyones teeth begin falling out...weird green light...you begin questioning if people have that many teeth available for the weird green light to make fall out.......more teeth....light.....more death...light......then aliens......light....ship blows up.....everyone left alive sees the dentist......the end

seriously, thats how it goes, but for over 700 pages, IMO a great 300 page story that went WAY, WAY too far.

King himself admits that he was one day browsing through a bookstore and saw the title with his name on it, and had totally forgotten that he had written it, or what it was about, because he was at the worst of his cocaine addiction during its conception and writting.

Yeah, not his brightest work by a long shot
And so on I walk the world,
a slave to this dark fiend,
traveling, traveling, held within a dream......
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

Definitely Bag of Bones - much ado for nothing.
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Least Favorites and the reason:

The Tommyknockers - as said elsewhere here, it's too long for the plot. The same story could have been told in a lot less pages.

Insomnia - ditto - however, I will say that it had one of the best death scenes at the end I've ever read, and of course, I enjoyed the Dark Tower tie-in.

Pet Sematary - King chickened out and turned a great novel into a slasher flick, when Gage comes back from the dead. He should have continued in the absolutely chilling and eerie vein he used with the cat's resurrection, with Gage just being slightly "off" and how the parents would come to terms with this.

Cujo - a great straight suspense novel, which didn't need the supernatural trappings introduced late in the book.

Roadwork - much ado about nothing.

The Sundogs - trying too hard, and weak in comparison to the other entries in Four Past Midnight.

Black House. I wanted to see a whole lot more of the Territories. The bikers scenes were way too drawn out and extended. I blame Straub!!!!!
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

I can't believe I forgot one of my biggest disappointment. From a Buick 8.

I will never buy into his basic concept that SIXTY or seventy people associated with a police station could keep a secret of such magnitude for 20 years. A handful of people for 20 years. Or 60 people for a couple of years. But not sixty people for 20 years. It defies all logic and human nature. And King is normally a keen student of human nature.

Ruined the story for me. :cry:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Gerald's Game-Pointlessly masochistic. I felt dumber after I read it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Dreamcatcher was spleen-rending TERRIBLE.

Tommyknockers....YAWN!
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

It's funny, Gunslinger. For the most part we agree on Stephen King, certainly where the Dark Tower is concerned.

However, in the year 2001, we are totally at odds. I think Dreamcatcher was a the great novel of that particular year, and you think Black House was. :lol:

Return to “Stephen King Forum”