Vanir - Rules & Comments

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Vanir - Rules & Comments

Post by Han-shan »

Don't know how much anything will actually change, but stuff will certainly be added.

There has been a convergence. Several beings, each of a unique nature, through means that are also unique, have noticed a world named Narie. They have felt that Narie has the potential to give power in a particular way - through worship. The reason these beings feel this potential is because they have the potential to use this kind of power.

Merely being in this world's locale gives these beings a minimum of this divine power. But only for one year. They have that year to attract worshipers. If they do not, they lose the potential.

-One turn equals one season.

-One domain per deity.

-More than one deity can have the same domain.

Prophets
You can talk directly to your Prophet. (Which means having a conversation with me.) Tell Prophet what you want done, get info on local things from your Prophet, etc.

And your Prophet's voice echoes with your power. Her/his voice does not have power, per se. It's just that all recognize that one of the deities has chosen this person (whatever), and this person speaks your words.

A deity can have only one Prophet until reaching DR of 3. At which point, if you want, you may take on another. It will cost you 3 DRPs or the permanent sacrifice of 1.

There's a change to getting a Prophet. You're not going to start the game with one. 8O :lol:

Narie is a multi-faceted place. It is entirely possible that you would want to make a Prophet from an area (possibly a large area) where one is not likely to be found. Is a member of the X race likely to be any deity's Prophet? Will such a thing be likely in a given race? Or a given society? You have to find out. You can't just say, "Ah, I want a Prophet from among the merfolk (or whatever). I'll write about how I swayed that merman/maid to my worship." It might not happen.

Here's a recommended course of action. Think not about what group you want your Prophet to come from; think about what group might want you. Then go for it. If you were going to do this, based on what you know about Narie (no meta-knowledge), how would you do it? Court them in one way or another. If you want a Prophet, you'll have to make it happen. You'll have to use power to make them think you're special, and make one of them choose to be your Prophet. When one does, it'll be free. You'll be told, "John Smith has fully embraced you, and is now your Prophet."

NON-DRP ACTIONS
The only way to do non-drp moves is directly with your Prophet. Tell Prophet what you want done. Prophet will do it, or tell the people to do it. Obviously (at least until you find a way to get your Prophet around quickly), this means you'll only be able to do non-drp stuff local to your Prophet, and only as many things in a turn as your Prophet can manage. Prophet can't start a priesthood (which takes some time and effort), and have Prophet hike through the nearby mountains looking for a legendary character to try to make contact. (Naturally, this means that you can't do non-DRP stuff if you don't have a Prophet. :D)

MANIFESTING
You can Manifest once per game! Make it count! :lol: I'll give you a bonus of some sort when you do. It should be a big deal when a deity manifests, after all, eh?

GAINING POWER
You start with 1 DRP. Gaining DRPs has something to do with population. But it's not nearly ALL about population. How you use your power is important. There's no formula, so I can't say, "Do X, Y, and Z, and you'll get another DRP." I'll tell you when you've done something and/or have a big enough population to gain a DRP.

-You can get better with practice. Give a person Forest Affinity with 1 DRP in a particular turn. The next time you give Forest Affinity, you can give it to 2 people with 1 DRP. The next time, you can give it to 3 for 1 DRP. But you can never improve to more than your current DR. No amount of practice will let you give it to 4 people if you're only DR 3.

SPREADSHEET (Goatkiller's idea, btw.)
You will keep track of your own things for me. :mrgreen: The last thing in your turn submission will be a spreadsheet. Actually, not that complicated. Just a list of important facts. Population, permanent empowerings, permanent non-drp things... Like this:
Population 10,000

DRP
-3 followers have 1 DRP of Forest Affinity.
-Prophet has 2 DRPs of Forest Affinity.
-Prophet has 2 DRPs of Forestwalk.
-5 trees are sentient.
-2 artifacts. (1 Staff of Law. 1 never-miss bow.)

NON-DRP
-Priesthood
Last edited by Han-shan on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I climb the road to Cold Mountain,
The road to Cold Mountain that never ends.
- Han-shan

We dance round in a ring and suppose,
But the Secret sits in the middle and knows.
- Robert Frost

Today was a good day. - Ice Cube
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

As I said in my txts to all of you, here's the basic ideas so far...

-Each deity will have only one domain.

-Nobody will have the same domain they had in Aesir.

-Nobody's characters will be descended from any Aesir character, or have any knowledge whatsoever of Aesir. There will be no meta-knowledge. Aesir's stuff is the random events and NPCs of Vanir, and is what lead to the state of Narie in the time of Vanir. But some bizarre thing or other prevents knowledge from carrying over to this game. I suppose it's just been so damned long that everybody forgets. There are ancient legends and stuff, but it's all been distorted over the ages.

-As deities, you can feel the traces of divine energy that brought so many things about. You know you are not the first deities that have used power on Narie.

-Growth will be slower than it was in Aesir. Probably 2nd DRP at 5,000; 3rd at 20,000; 4th at 50,000. Not set in stone, but a good possibility.

-As in Aesir, practice makes you better. But the numbers are different. You might, for example, empower 1 person with 1 DRP. Next time, you can empower 2 people with 1 DRP. Then 3 with 1. Etc. However, you'll only ever be able to empower up to your current DR with 1 DRP.

-You'll be helping me keep track of things. At the end of your submission each turn, you'll include a spreadsheet of your population, and all the permanent things you've done with your DRPs prior to that submission. That is, all the things that have already been approved. Just bullet-point kind of thing.
Population 3,000

-3 followers have Forest Affinity.
-Prophet has 2 DRPs of Forestwalk.
-5 trees are sentient.
-2 artifacts. (1 Staff of Law. 1 quiver of never-miss arrows, with 4 arrows remaining.)
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Odin wrote: -Each deity will have only one domain.

-Nobody will have the same domain they had in Aesir.
Sounds good so far.
Odin wrote:There are ancient legends and stuff, but it's all been distorted over the ages.

-As deities, you can feel the traces of divine energy that brought so many things about. You know you are not the first deities that have used power on Narie.
I dont expect an answer, but will there be any actual remnants of the previous game or just the legends? Say artifacts we've created, or races or effects that may last... it'd be fun to be rewarded with someone else's toy that's been subtly altered over time.

Odin wrote:-Growth will be slower than it was in Aesir.
-As in Aesir, practice makes you better.
This has always been the key facet for my love of Aes..er...Vanir.
Odin wrote:-You'll be helping me keep track of things.
I love it!

I already keep a binder of hardcopy to sheaf through at work, and I'm constantly quoting to you anyway...

When do we start?
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

balon! wrote:I dont expect an answer, but will there be any actual remnants of the previous game or just the legends? Say artifacts we've created, or races or effects that may last... it'd be fun to be rewarded with someone else's toy that's been subtly altered over time.
Yeah, there's some stuff, and races. I don't have it all exactly worked out yet, so, even if I was gonna tell you everything, I couldn't yet.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Odin wrote:Yeah, there's some stuff, and races. I don't have it all exactly worked out yet, so, even if I was gonna tell you everything, I couldn't yet.
Sounds perfect.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I'm getting all tingly, thinking of there being 100,000 yr old golems standing around on the ocean floor of Narie.

(Anyone read Making Money?)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I have.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm still out. Two games are enough.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm still debating if I want to play.

The more games the better for me, especially deity-based ones. But, it is too painful for a setting to just...stop, with no resolution. I was told, "so write a book about them."

Yeah, with my writing skills, riiiight.

Anyway, knowing me, I'll probably play. But no domains are calling out to me this time.
...maybe a Chiffon Margarine like hippie-fied Mother Nature is next for me.

hmm...
Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

If you're not gonna play, don't play. But don't tease us like that. :lol:

Murrin wrote:I'm still out. Two games are enough.
I get the message. I'll stop txting you about the new rules. :biggrin:
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Han-shan
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Han-shan »

OK, here's the deal. I'll be away until Monday evening. I might be online that night, but maybe not until Tuesday morning.

I'm on vacation next week, so it'll all be going much faster then. Ideas for the time between Aesir and Vanir have been going crazy in my head for the last couple days. By the end of next week, likely by Thursday evening, I'll post the background. At that point, you can make whatever changes will be needed to the work that you should already have done regarding your character and Revelation.

I'll ask for Revelations probably by Sunday the 15th.

Please feel free to PM me about everything. Tell me what domain you want. Send me the general idea of the Revelation.

As I said, you are all from elsewhere. Nobody is from Narie. You all sense that Narie has the potential to gain power from worship, and you come to see what you can do with it. Coincidentally, a bunch of others show up at the same time, with the same time. Convergence.

Beyond that, make up your own origin. Where are you from? How did you happen to notice Narie? What is the nature of your being? What do you hope to accomplish? You can answer them all, but you don't need to. If you do, you don't need to tell anyone. It's all up to you. Most of us didn't know what Eztlicoatl was until he left, but everyone knew all about Zephyr right from the Revelation. Either way is fine.

But you are not from Narie. You don't know anything about the place. I'll post in the background thread, and that's all you know. Stuff you see from a birdseye view.

I have a more detailed history in mind, of course. Maybe some of you will learn some of it at some point. Heh heh.
- Han-shan

- Robert Frost

Leaf
Servant of the Land

Post by Leaf »

Since the other thread is locked...

Leaf, Mother Nature of Narie, is ready.
...sort of.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

I have my general concept done. But until I know more about the texture of the place (what the races are, what the technology level is, how sparse / dense the population is, etc.) I can't really get into the Revelation. Not in any kind of useful way.

But worry not, fair readers. I'll likely be able to knock something out toute suite once that background is posted.
The Illuminati
Servant of the Land

Post by The Illuminati »

So, out of curiosity, does anybody else find the whole "pre-game" world building part to be also very interesting? I've found myself thinking about ideas for the world, and texting the hell out of Odin (almost as much as when I was bugging him about stuff Erd might do), just because they were maybe neat ideas.

This might end up being like my Calvinball idea, but could one (or several of us together) make a "game" just out of building a world? More as a creative exercise than strictly as a game with players and winners / losers. Maybe after we're all done, someone might be willing to actually run the thing as a game too.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

I find the concept interesting, and have the germination of an idea for where my deity will come from. Which I expect will not be where others come from. If it is, that will be very cool for potential interaction, but I am not expecting it.

I expect Narie to be totally formed without our input until our arrival, since it was already in existence, with a prior pantheon of deities long before we arrive.

My hope is that Vanir, like I thought Aesir was, is all about world building and being creative, and not about winners and losers. That is what I loved about Fist's game from the start, and I hope it stays that way.
The Illuminati
Servant of the Land

Post by The Illuminati »

That's all fine. But it's not what I'm talking about. Separate from the process of Odin building up Narie for us to play Venir on... I think that there would be a lot of interest in just a collaborative process of building some other world. It almost doesn't even matter if we don't then end up actually playing a game in the world.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

But you are then saying we would all come from the same world, right? Which, from what I am getting what Odin has shared of the rules so far, is not necessarily the case...

I would love to help do some world building, as I never have actually taken part in the process. But I don't see it as being the one world where the next pantheon of deities on Narie would come from. I like the idea of each of us coming up with our own origins from all sorts of different areas, so we can have culture clash and misunderstandings of societies, et. al.
The Illuminati
Servant of the Land

Re: Vanir - Rules & Comments

Post by The Illuminati »

Odin wrote:-You can talk directly to your Prophet. (Which means having a conversation with me.) Tell Prophet what you want done, get info on local things from Prophet, etc.
By this, are we to assume that you will play our prophets for us, and we must route all our stuff through you? That might cut into our ability to post story-like posts about what's going on with our turns. (I guess once you give us results back, we can THEN use those to ad-lib stories.)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Re: Vanir - Rules & Comments

Post by [Syl] »

The Illuminati wrote:
Odin wrote:-You can talk directly to your Prophet. (Which means having a conversation with me.) Tell Prophet what you want done, get info on local things from Prophet, etc.
Can't imagine playing any other way. The god's my character. The prophet's just a tool. Simjen, of course, was very fond of his tools, but that's it. Even Aarklar, who was created by Dante, was still the central actor.

<edit to add> Out of curiosity, did any players other than me have a prophet in p1?
Last edited by [Syl] on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
The Illuminati
Servant of the Land

Post by The Illuminati »

I guess it just means we (i.e. - I'm speaking for myself and generalizing it to include the rest of you) need to be a bit more rigorous about not jumping to conclusions about stuff and posting.

Return to “Aesir & Vanir”