Manga and Anime

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I'm back to watching One Piece. I'd forgotten how fun it can be. It took a while to get going, but after about thirty episodes, it started to be genuinely enjoyable. It frequently makes me grin, which is an achievement.

I just watched episode 63, and holy crap! Laboon freaks me the hell out. It doesn't take much for a whale to freak me out anyway, but...argh!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

90 episodes in now, which puts me...less than a quarter of the way through the series. 8O
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I now have:

Paranoia Agent
Ayakashi: Japanese Horror
Chaos;HEAd

I'm not sure which will be first. The Chaos;HEAd review claim it's quite bad, but the premise intrigues me - and it wouldn't be the first time I've enjoyed something the reviewers on THEM Anime don't like (see Gantz and Divergence Eve). I've found I often like things they give three stars, and dislike things they give five stars.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I picked up the entire first season box set of InuYasha at the 99 cent store (I had previously picked up a couple of disks later in the series and it looked interesting). I've watched the first 9 episodes, and I'm really liking it.

Watched Avatar the Last Airbender, and the humor was a little juvenile, but, the story was well done and the story arc progression was also well done. (Got first season from Walmart for $15, got the other two seasons full price from Amazon)

Also picked up Ranma 1/2 Season 3 or 4 (don't remember which) box set from the 99 cent store,a nd that looks it may be pretty cool.

Got a couple of disks for Death Note and a couple from another series as well. The 99 cent store has had quite a few great bargains on Anime DVDs lately
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I've been meaning to watch Death Note for ages. I've got it somewhere.

Similarly, InuYasha is something I've had in the back of my mind for some time, but it's one of those series (like One Piece) that's prohibitively long. I prefer to buy things if I can, but I might have to settle for streaming InuYasha.

In reference to my previous post, I decided to start with Chaos;HEAd. A month or so after starting it, I'm only three episodes in. It's not that it's terrible (though the translation is a bit ropey) but it's somehow a chore to watch. Each episode feels like it's five hours long.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Finally watched Grave of the Fireflies.
Spoiler
Seita is a monster. He deserved his death after everything he inflicted on his sister.
And some of his decisions were bizarre.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

We got tons of anime and manga people when I first started the Hangar on EZ board. They all left when I explained to them that no it wasn't a misspelling of Akira-Ahira is the Devaki name for danlo's doppleganger. :P

Anyway like taras I grew up during the beginnings and loved 8th Man much more than Speed Racer or Gigantor--Astro Boy was pretty cool too...haven't seen much since except to Project A-KO, Tank Girl and the original vampire thigy--Shadow something-or-other....
fall far and well Pilots!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Science fiction comedy time! I've just completed the Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV series. A review suggested it would appeal to anyone who likes science fiction yet is able to laugh at it. I'm not sure I'd go that far, since the science fiction elements of this are pretty lazy, but it was quite entertaining. Actually, it's just occurred to me that the main character is kind of a more plausible take on the Kirk model of starship captain.

The series is about a young man called Justy Ueki Tylor who joins the space military in hopes of an easy life and manages, through pretty much blind luck, to get a rapid promotion to command of a starship. The ship itself is a junk heap, and the crew are all misfits and degenerates. Obvious comedy set-up.

Captain Tylor himself is, as I said, a bit Kirk-like in that he, like Kirk, tends to go for really outrageous, bold actions that rely on good luck and surprise. Unlike Kirk, however, everyone thinks Tylor is a reckless imbecile who scrapes through on undeserved good fortune. The plausibility of him being in charge of a starship is questionable, but I think his peers' opinion of him is more convincing than the hero worship ladled upon Kirk. It's left to the viewer to decide whether Tylor is just a lucky idiot, or a brilliant military tactician who, Columbo-like, passes himself off as a goofball for reasons of his own.

It's pretty weak at the start, but hits its stride after a few episodes. It trails off towards the end too, as some events prove anti-climactic and we get regular appearances by the most annoying character in the series, the enemy empress.

All in all, a solid series and I'm glad I watched it, but it was let down somewhat by a weak beginning and end. Oh, I should note that the visuals were good for an early '90s series. It doesn't look present day, but it doesn't look its age either.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

So, with Netflix, and all, I decided to try and watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. I had watched it freshman year of high school and had considered it to be retarded gibberish. I thought that maybe, now that I'm more sophisticated, maybe I'd understand something that I didn't see before. I have five episodes left, and it still looks like retarded gibberish.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The annoying thing for me about Evangelion is that if it wasn't for the last few episodes it'd be a solid, if unremarkable, giant robot show. But that final run of episodes is just...ludicrous.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Well, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is just about finished up! There is just one more episode left, and right now, I am very satisfied with the result. Infinitely better then the first series, much more epic, much more intense. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm also glad it didn't end on a dud...hell, I'm glad it has an ending, unlike many animes that have peaked my interest over the years :roll:

I recommend it to everyone.

I had also finished the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. That was pretty good as well. Watched the first episode of Mobile Suit Z Gundam, and...well... we'll see if I continue that...
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

CovenantJr wrote:I'm back to watching One Piece.
This again. I'm now 270 episodes in! This is the longest series EVER!

Still, it's managed to be entertaining the whole time, more or less. Impressive.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

CovenantJr wrote:
This again. I'm now 270 episodes in! This is the longest series EVER!

Still, it's managed to be entertaining the whole time, more or less. Impressive.
Also, One Piece has some of my favourite anime music:

Luffy's Fierce Attack
Three Towers
To The Grand Line
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Ahahahaa! I search up the anime thread because I watch a little (emphasis on the "little") OP and KHR (i.e. [Home Tutor] Hitman Reborn aka "Reborn!").

And what is the FIRST thing I see at the top of the page? This:
:-D

Lufffy! And... longest series ever? YES. The teens at our church watch it, and joke with each other that when they're old they'll still be watching episodes.

What's it into, 700+ episodes? Or 800+?

Favorite chars? Mine is Zoro, followed by Nami.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

I heard that Berserk is going to be releasing new chapters soon (you might remember the man with the sword I once used as my sig, he's from that). IMO it is one of the most obviously westernized anime/manga series I have ever seen, and is therefore very accessible t o those who don't normally pursue anime and manga. Hopefully people will be working on english translations for the current chapters as well. The current hero is Guts, and I'm waiting to see if the author might be willing to change that formula, or keep it the same. I am hoping that, when all is said and done, there will be peace.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I am currently not watching any anime, as I just finished up InuYasha on Netflix, and InuYasha: The Final Act isn't available. Also just finsished re-watching Trigun. I abandoned Bleach as it seems to not be going anywhere ever through the 220 or 250 episodes or however many I have watched so far. I really enjoyed Dragon Ball Kai, but was disappointed that they didn't do the Buu saga.
Orlion wrote:Well, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is just about finished up! There is just one more episode left, and right now, I am very satisfied with the result. Infinitely better then the first series, much more epic, much more intense. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm also glad it didn't end on a dud...hell, I'm glad it has an ending, unlike many animes that have peaked my interest over the years :roll:
I might give Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood a shot. I liked the first series ok for the most part, but had to struggle to finish it.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:
Orlion wrote:Well, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is just about finished up! There is just one more episode left, and right now, I am very satisfied with the result. Infinitely better then the first series, much more epic, much more intense. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm also glad it didn't end on a dud...hell, I'm glad it has an ending, unlike many animes that have peaked my interest over the years :roll:
I might give Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood a shot. I liked the first series ok for the most part, but had to struggle to finish it.
Fullmetal Alchemist is dubbed on Netflix. I didn't realize that. Almost all of the anime they have is subtitled. I strongly prefer subtitled over dubbed, so I prob won't be watching FAB.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

bump :oops: things that go *bump* in the night

LOVED Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. One of my top favorites.

Really enjoyed InuYasha: The Final Act. FINALLY know the end! It took a few episodes to get me into the rhythm of it, but once it got going, WOW.

Favorite Animes:

Dragon Ball Z
Outlaw Star
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
InuYasha
Trigun
Bleach

May be forgetting something. Love Hayao Miyazaki movies.

I maxed-out Tetris!

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”