Manga and Anime

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Ylva Kresh
<i>Haruchai</i>

Manga and Anime

Post by Ylva Kresh »

I love Ranma1/2 - are there any other "Lanma" fans out there (or rather Ryoga...)? Is there some Manga/anime that one should not miss exept Ranma1/2?

Important: I have one urgent question for the learned on the Watch: What is "NeoGenesis" and is it any good?

Urgent? yes, it is on sale here, but who knows how long it will last? :wink:
SLATFATF...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think Syl would be a good person to ask. He seems to know a lot about anime. :)
Love as thou wilt.

theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

Neon Genesis Evangelion...never seen it though...you could do a search Yahoo or somethin, get some info on it that way...

My faves are Vampire Hunter D: first and the second one...Macross/Appleseed/Robotech...Tank Police...Ninja Scroll is a classic..havent seen the second one in that series...i watch alot of the Cartoon Network shows...when they have good ones, anyway...

I became a fan of Tenchi Muyo and Gundam Wing because of CN, as well as DBZ...Outlway Star was a good show...Big O...Rurouni Kenshin is a good show, although i havent seen the uncut versions..

Princess Mononoki is a good movie...
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I'm going to revive this a bit because I've been watching more anime recently.

Watched the first few episodes of Evangelion, and it was alright, with some promise, but didn't seem that special.

On Syl's recommendation, watched the whole of Samurai Deeper Kyo, which was mostly excellent. Kyo himself is great.

I'm now watching Trigun. Vash the Stampede rivals Demon Eyes Kyo and Jubei Kibagami (Ninja Scroll the series) for badassness - but in a completely different way. :lol:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

:R
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

:R to the Trigun theme. Heh.

I've also watched the first half (however many episodes that is...) of Cowboy Bebop, Perfect Blue, the original Ghost In The Shell, Ninja Scroll the film and part of the series, and a few episodes a piece of Bubblegum Crisis, You're Under Arrest, Ranma 1/2, Vampire Princess Miyu, Oh My Goddess (meh) and *retch* Love Hina.

That scattershot approach is the result of a friend lending me a boxed set with the first four-ish episodes of several series.

On my "to watch" stack in the cupboard, I have such delights as Outlaw Star, Elfen Lied, Blood: The Last Vampire, one of the (apparently) better Gundam series, Escaflowne...and various others.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Finished Trigun. Now onto Hellsing, the best vampire-based anime I've seen so far.
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Neon Genesis is a mix of topics including religious pseudo-philosophizing, whining brats, a main character more frustrating at times than Covenant, and really big mech-things that beat the shit out of other things.

It's good for a series that tries to be waaaaayyyy too deep. I don't like my philosophy coming from anime. And I HATE Shinji.

BUT! Rei is in it. For that reason alone you should see it. Rei kicks ass.

(Now, I haven't seen the show in a good 6 or 7 years, and I've only seen it through twice so I may be missing things. It's a good watch... sometimes, but not a requisite for pure Anime enjoyment)
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Do you have the Escaflowne series or the Escaflowne movie? If it's the series, enjoy. If it's the movie, go get the series, heh.

The series is a lot of fun, though. It has some teen-angst in it, but it's fun to laugh at. I've seen the whole series a good three or four times now. I enjoy it.

I finally got A to watch Escaflowne, maybe she can chime in on her opinion of the series, heh.

I think I've seen the whole Neon Genesis Evangelion series in bits and parts on Adult Swim, but never the whole thing from start to finish. It seemed all right. But I don't think I understood a lot of what was going on, especially the ending, heh.

And I've never watched any of Cowboy Bebop, except that I've seen/heard the opening credits a million times when the series was shown on Adult Swim, heh. I liked listening to the opening theme, but I never bothered to watch an episode.

Oh, and a friend of mine just gave me the whole Trigun series. 8O Although it only has english subtitles. But that's cool. I can't wait to watch it.

-jay
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Oh! And as for what you should not miss:
Now and Then, Here and There (series)
Akira (movie)
Vamp. Hunter D Bloodlust (movie)
Cowboy Bebop (series)
Ghost in a Shell (movie)
Princess Mononoke (movie)
Trigun (series)

I'm sure there are more, but that's all Is gots for now.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

kevinswatch wrote:Do you have the Escaflowne series or the Escaflowne movie? If it's the series, enjoy. If it's the movie, go get the series, heh.
The series. 8) I found an ebay seller who does dvd sets of complete series for a bargainous price. Not shoddy copies either. Probably still copies, heh, but very, very good ones. Enjoy Trigun; it's genius. Vash the Stampede. 8) It's kind of a shame about it being subtitled though - the voice acting is pretty good, particularly Vash.

And Waddley! First a banana riding a green llama, now anime! :o As someone once said to me (heh): Is there no end to your amazing taste?!
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

CovenantJr wrote:And Waddley! First a banana riding a green llama, now anime! :o As someone once said to me (heh): Is there no end to your amazing taste?!
Probably, just haven't got to it yet. :D

To keep it on track, also watch Spirited Away. WATCH. IT. And anyone who calls them selves and anime fan, you watch it too. You have a week, then heads will roll.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

A friend's meant to be lending me that. He swears by it as among the very best he's seen.

My extensive "to watch" pile in the cupboard does include some of your other suggestions, such as Princess Mononoke.

My brother has Akira, but lots of people have said it's badly overrated. I saw it on DVD for £7 once and went back to buy it, but it had gone. :(
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Heh, I think a friend of mine showed Princess Mononoke a few years ago, and I MST3Ked it the whole time. He wasn't amused. Hehe. To be fair, I do that for pretty much every movie I see.-jay
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

If I ever meet you, Jay, we will not watch movies.

EDIT: Just re-read that and realised it could be taken in completely the wrong way. Bugger.

In fact, that was probably the wrong choice of curse just then too. Arse.

*sigh* This just isn't getting any better, is it?
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

My Neighbor Totoro

Princess Mononoke

:beer:
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Post by kevinswatch »

Haha. I missed what it said the first time. No fun. Heh.

Yeah, if you're a person who doesn't like other people talking or making jokes while watching a movie, I'd probably be bad company. I can't help myself.-jay
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

I like Akira a *lot*, but a lot of that can probably be attributed to the fact that it was the first anime I was exposed to. It's still in my top 5 movies to watch.

Some times I'm hesitant to suggest Spirited Away, because it's rather... youthful... girls and moms like it. On the other hand, so has everyone else (mostly dudes) who I've shown it to... so... yeah. It's my favorite Anime move, period. So Covenant, put it at the top of your pile. Watch it tonight and I'll give you a cookie. :D

Oh!! Forgot about Ninja Scroll (movie, not series... ewwww...) Kicks. Ass. Watch that, too Ylva Kresh.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Waddley Hasselhoff wrote:Oh!! Forgot about Ninja Scroll (movie, not series... ewwww...) Kicks. Ass. Watch that, too Ylva Kresh.
I demand you reverse that ewwww! I enjoy the series much more than the movie. If you like, I can tell you why...but it'll have to wait. At this moment, it's time to sleep.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

In the last couple of weeks I've watched:

Orphen - meh, so-so cliche-filled fantasy for the most part, but with some nice plot development towards the end.

The rest of Cowboy Bebop at last - as good as ever.

Outlaw Star - a bit Bebop-like in places, but enjoyable in its own right. Aisha the Ctarl-Ctarl can be annoying, but Suzuka is great. Disappointing that it had a hackneyed hot spings episode, but never mind. The presence of the greatest gun ever (the Caster) makes up for such shortcomings.

Blood, the Last Vampire - badly overrated. Critics and viewers tend to be very complimentary about this film, but I found it quite poor. Watch any episode of Hellsing for a similar concept done far, far better.

Divergence Eve - this is a strange one. It's probably the most fan service laden anime I've ever seen. 90% of the characters are ridiculously endowed women, often with chests larger than their heads, sometimes larger than their torsos. This did cause me to just switch it off originally, but I came back later because some of the ideas were intriguing. I'm more or less glad I did, because if you can train your mind to ignore the ridiculous bouncing globes there's actually a decent science fiction horror story in there. Do not watch the end credits of any episode though. Argh.

Elfen Lied - interesting, slightly arty and graphically violent. There isn't really much I can say about this, since it has a strong mystery element to it, but I will say it's definitely worth watching if you can tolerate very brutal violence (usually in the form of dismemberment, and not cartoony either) and themes exploring the darkest recesses of human nature.

I'm currently in the middle of Noir - so far an enjoyable mystery thriller kind of thing about two young women who are professional assassins, each with a shadowed past. Sadly, the series does have a tendency to use repeated flashbacks. Irritating.

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”