Q&A posted on SRD's Gradual Interview Re ARC's

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Q&A posted on SRD's Gradual Interview Re ARC's

Post by Seareach »

I think it's important to put this here so everyone knows where SRD stands on the purchase of ARC's of Against All Things Ending on eBay.

This is a question and answer posted today on SRD's gradual interview.
Mark Powis: Dear Dr. Donaldson: I regret to inform you that the text of AATE appears to have been illegally leaked to the public. I myself haven't seen or found it, but judging from the newest discussion thread at Kevins Watch, it *is* available for public consuumption. Even though I haven't seen it myself, the comments in the aforementioned new thread CLEARLY indicate that people are reading / have read the book. Automatically I assumed you would wish to be made aware of the situation. Personally, I refuse to read it "early" for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the truly genuine respect I have for you as an author. In my opinion, anyone reading AATE for free on the Web is guilty of theft of intellectual property from you, theft of money from the publisher, recieveing & possessing stolen property.....well, you get the idea. And last but not least: Don't these people realize how badly they're cheating themselves? It's like sneaking under the Christmas tree as a child, carefully peeling back the wrapping paper, and finding out early what your present is. Kinda took a lot of the fun out of Christmas morning when I did that. By the same emotional token, I choose to preserve the joy of holding the book in my hands for the first time, and the almost sexually aroused (!!!) feeling I'll get as I slowly open the front cover for the first time, and begin reading. These people are cheating everyone! Starting with you, and next the publisher, and finally themselves! "Hear you all? You are foolish beyond all hope of redemption, and Steve's lawyers shall feast upon your very souls!".....Best Wishes ! The Spoony

I appreciate your concern. However, the situation you describe may not be what it appears to be. Here's a perfectly plausible scenario that does *not* mean the text has been "illegally leaked to the public." The publisher contracts with a printer to produce ARCs ("advance reading copies") which the publisher intends to distribute free to reviewers, book-buyers, and the like in an effort to create "buzz." Someone who works for the printer slips, say, 3 copies off the production line (in effect, stealing them from the publisher), takes them home, and immediately lists them for sale on eBay. Someone from Kevin's Watch buys one of them, and the discussion starts.

Well, if this is what happened, there are several sides to the story. 1) Personally, I find it reprehensible that someone stole a few copies from the publisher. But that isn't exactly the same thing as releasing the book to the public. 2) And someone else was always going to do the same thing anyway: reviewers are *forever* picking up some unearned money by selling their ARCs--and in fact there's nothing illegal about this (immoral, perhaps: illegal, no). 3) Meanwhile, I can't blame someone for buying a book on eBay. In particular, I can't blame anyone from Kevin's Watch. The people who belong to that virtual community have always "played fair" with me; and I have good reason to believe that the person or persons who bought ARCs will also buy "legitimate" copies when the time comes. So where's the harm?

My publishers certainly don't see any harm. As far as they are concerned, this is (almost) free advertising. The only "victim"--if there is one--is the poor person who paid too much for a book on eBay. And as far as *I* am concerned--well, like you, I wouldn't do it myself. I don't like to reward people (the sellers) who want money they haven't earned. But I can't honestly say that I feel damaged. And I don't think ill of the people who buy the books.

(09/05/2010)

Cheers.
Sea
Last edited by Seareach on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I have my copy, and I still have pre-order in on Amazon which I intend to buy. I haven't said anything about it here or anywhere else other than one post in the spoiler thread (other than announcing my ARC was coming).

I have to admit, I tend to be impulsive and when I heard ARCs existed, the long long wait was finally over...but I won't do it for TLD.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I wouldn't be feeling bad about it, rdopeca. He seems nonplussed.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The only reason I haven't bought an ARC is that I don't want to reward thieves.

Here's my q&a to SRD, way back in 2004:
dlbpharmd: There is currently a big debate on kevinswatch.com about the sale of the ARC for Runes on ebay. Would you mind sharing your thoughts and opinions about this?

I think it's "stealing," and I don't condone it. But we live in a society ruled by greed, and I know of no effective way to change "'our' core values." I'm told by those who know more than I do (agents and editors) that the vast majority of ARCs get sold to SOMEbody. Most of the sellers are just more discreet than our friend on eBay.

(06/23/2004)
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I don't feel bad per se...however, I did not think, perhaps naively, that the ARCs were "stolen". And I still plan to buy my copy, and haven't given anything away, so I don't feel "bad".

However if they are actually stolen, I won't be doing it again.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Nah, they're not necessarily stolen. That's SRD's guess...but there's other scenarios that are possible (especially the closer you get to the release date). :)
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

Well......forgive me for getting up on my "Morality Soapbox".....but I just thought (and still do think) that it's wrong......but that's just me.... :P
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

hey! thanks to donaldson for gettin our backs! we *do* always play fair with him and there's not one person here who would buy an ARC that wouldn't buy the book when it comes out. :D

thanks SRD! hats off to ya! :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

Just pre-ordered my two copies from the local bookstore....the one in Steves town that will ship them 10/19.....SIGNED by SRD!!! *YAYs!*...
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

oh, and by the way.....Thanks a lot to Seareach for putting me in the spotlight! *hopes the good side is showing*...LOL :soapbox:
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

spoonchicken wrote:oh, and by the way.....Thanks a lot to Seareach for putting me in the spotlight! *hopes the good side is showing*...LOL :soapbox:
I wasn't trying to put you in the spotlight, per say. I'm merely highlighting a question and answer from the GI. Buying ARCs has been long debated on KW.
spoonchicken
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by spoonchicken »

I'm kidding, Sea....no harm done....and I was always kinda curious about the ARC scenario myself.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

lucimay wrote:we *do* always play fair with him and there's not one person here who would buy an ARC that wouldn't buy the book when it comes out. :D
I have one ARC. Fatal Revenant. Bought it on e-bay.

I never even read it. I just thought it would be cool to have one. So I bought it, then waited for the real book, and then read the real book. Because I wanted to read it at the same time as everyone else on the Watch, in case your wondering. (I think I did peak at the title page and acknowledgements page, tho.)

Looking back, it's not as cool as how much I paid for it would suggest. So SRD is right on that point.

Maybe I'll ask SRD to sign it ... :twisted:

In case anyone doesn't know, the type face and formatting in an ARC are horrible, and I can only imagine that reading one would be a sucky experience.
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

I Still havent read AATE, I have a hard cover copy on my shelf I look at everday when i come home but.. still havent read it yet..

the Physical books being taken from the publishers and sold on ebay are a literal drop in the bucket, the digital copies dont only get sold once but get uploaded free to HUNDREDS if not thousands or even Millions of people depending on the book and author. its one reason I am pretty much against digital copies of books. saves paper i guess but it can kill the authors sales.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”