The connection between Stave and Linden

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Bahgoon_the_Unbearable
Servant of the Land

The connection between Stave and Linden

Post by Bahgoon_the_Unbearable »

In my latest re-reading I've noticed some beautiful connections between these two characters. For one we know little of Stave's connection to his sons but we do know his deep rooted loss concerning his mind melding with the rest of the "Masters". By helping Linden he is giving up a connection with his sons, a connection that is exactly what Linden is fighting for with her own son.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Just recently I had suggested that one possible meaning of "Stave" is that, like a staff, he props Linden up.

And then there is also this:

Jody
Servant of the Land

Post by Jody »

:spew: Doesn´t it say somewhere that Linden realises that the haruchai gets this weird feeling about a perticular women when he feels the time is right... I can´t remember the exact wordings - doesn´t have the book. But they are in her room at Revelstone
But that´s what Cail follows to the merewifes and this is how Stave feels for Linden?
We all struggle to find the right path in life. It´s not always easy to know what that is - or where it will lead us. In the end it´s the people in our lives that provide us the balance to help us make it through.
Crossbow
Servant of the Land

Post by Crossbow »

wayfriend wrote:Just recently I had suggested that one possible meaning of "Stave" is that, like a staff, he props Linden up.
I think that's definitely the meaning Donaldson was going for.
Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

wayfriend wrote:Just recently I had suggested that one possible meaning of "Stave" is that, like a staff, he props Linden up.

that image is sooooo wrong on many levels! :hairs:
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchett - Jingo
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Crossbow wrote:
I think that's definitely the meaning Donaldson was going for.
or like Mahrtiir... Martyr, right?
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
OisinAnderson
Servant of the Land

Post by OisinAnderson »

Doesn´t it say somewhere that Linden realises that the haruchai gets this weird feeling about a perticular women when he feels the time is right... I can´t remember the exact wordings - doesn´t have the book. But they are in her room at Revelstone

I would like to know where this is... I agree about the stave bit propping Linden up, but I was definitely getting a Stave/Linden vibe during the whole book.
If you wonder where I'll be in a year,
I'll probably be sittin' right here.
And if you know the answer, don't tell me, anyone
'Cause I don't wanna know...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

BHAHAHAHAHAHAH. XD

Stave props her up, and why refuse a Master's puissant stave while that bastard Covenant only romps around the Arch of Time, not bothering to grant her the proper Wild Magic she yearns for. ;)
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

were it not for unforgettable characters like Stave and Liand I might not have burned an orgiastic swath through these books, as I did in my youth for the first two series. Genuinely moving, and impossible to be so without Linden as a foil, so take that, THOOLAH! ;)
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

That was wonderful! I, like a few others it seems, have been hoping that Linden would forget about her past relationship and see other possibilities. Though, I highly doubt such a relationship would work out. Just imagine the arguments over lost honour if she took out the trash by accident.

"Chosen, your removal of the refuse has diminished me further in the eyes of the Humbled. Also, this Kiss the cook frontal covering you aquired for me is of an inappropriate hue."

Return to “Fatal Revenant”