Liand

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Aranion
Stonedownor

Liand

Post by Aranion »

It's funny, because I just reread a Q&A in the GI where SRD talks about body count....

....and I just read where Kastnessen, through Anele, took Liand's head apart. NEVER saw that coming. Holy crap, he's really not pulling any punches.

I wasn't a huge fan of Liand - his worship of Linden was fairly annoying - but I'm sorta shocked.

Wow. And I thought the death of a character in the Lost Deep was something.

Damn. I'm almost afraid to keep reading.
"There is nothing beautiful or sweet or great in life that is not mysterious."

--Francois Rene de Chateaubriand
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Yeah, Liand's death was kind of a shocker. Keep reading.
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: Liand

Post by Billy G. »

Aranion wrote:Wow. And I thought the death of a character in the Lost Deep was something.
I found that quite amusing! :twisted:
Aranion
Stonedownor

Re: Liand

Post by Aranion »

Billy G. wrote:
Aranion wrote:Wow. And I thought the death of a character in the Lost Deep was something.
I found that quite amusing! :twisted:
Oh, I did, too - much as I hated laughing at something RC did, I LOVED that scene.
"There is nothing beautiful or sweet or great in life that is not mysterious."

--Francois Rene de Chateaubriand
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Didn't suprise or bother me. He had red shirt written on him from the start.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I just read that chapter during my lunch break... like the OP, I was absolutely shocked! Wow!

I never cared much for Liand, but I figured he would turn out to be more important in the final book. Never expected this for his fate.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Akasri wrote:I just read that chapter during my lunch break... like the OP, I was absolutely shocked! Wow!

I never cared much for Liand, but I figured he would turn out to be more important in the final book. Never expected this for his fate.
Agreed.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

Revan wrote:Didn't suprise or bother me. He had red shirt written on him from the start.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spoiler
At least he made the cover.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Spoiler
That's Liand on the cover?
I figured it was the Harrow or someone...
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

That's the Harrow on the US AATE cover...beads and all...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Unbelieverable
Servant of the Land

Post by Unbelieverable »

Yeah, poor Liand. I liked him myself...kind of innocent and naive, which exuses his apparent worship of LA. I was under the impression, too, that he was destined for greater things at the end of the story...like being integral to the healing of Kevin's dirt, or something. That being said, how IS the Land going to heal with neither Liand or Anele being around?
"Something in her expression made Covenant feel that he came from a very poor world, where no one knew or cared about healing stoneware pots."
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It won't, it'll be leperous 8)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Unbelieverable wrote:That being said, how IS the Land going to heal with neither Liand or Anele being around?
Well, the last book will be called "The Last Dark", right? Maybe there won't be a healing?
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Yeah I expected that he would have a much larger part in the scheme of things. I also thought that Anele would have a larger part to play. The idea that he was the last hope of the land made me think he would be a sacrifice at the end or something. Both to me were a bit anti-climatic.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
CT
Stonedownor

Post by CT »

Revan wrote:Didn't suprise or bother me. He had red shirt written on him from the start.
No way - he had "Sunder part deux" written all over him. I was a little disappointed in the Liand character through the first 2 and 1/2 books, b/c all along I've neatly fit him into the Sunder box - stonedowner, doesn't know the land's history, has some power (sunder's was partly known, liand's he found during the story, same-same), represents a "new" Lord for TC/LA to leave behind in the Land, blah blah blah. I even figgered Pahni for Hollian Redux, absent the power but with some serious baby-Lord-making hips (truth be told, I thought we'd 'discover' some latent earthpowerful ability in Pahni before the end to make the circle complete). I was already expecting an epilogue with a new council of Lords where several members directly trace their lineage to Liand/Pahni. [NOTE: we have no idea if L/P were knocking boots or not...there remains the possibility of Liand Jr]

SRD whacking Liand was awesome in the "shake up my expectations" sense, even if not in the "wow, tough break kid" sense.
starkllr
Ramen

Post by starkllr »

I think it was strongly implied that Liand and Pahni were "knocking boots", although not outright stated.

His death, along with Anele's, has me completely convinced that the Land is going to be destroyed for good in TLD.
CT
Stonedownor

Post by CT »

starkllr wrote: has me completely convinced that the Land is going to be destroyed for good in TLD.
I reallllly hope you're wrong.

I especially hope there isn't a Narnia-esque reboot of the Earth. Feels cheesy.

Is SRD a big fan of the happy ending? The conclusion of the Gap series was roughly "happy", in that the chars you care the most about end up reasonably content.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

CT wrote:
starkllr wrote: has me completely convinced that the Land is going to be destroyed for good in TLD.

Is SRD a big fan of the happy ending? The conclusion of the Gap series was roughly "happy", in that the chars you care the most about end up reasonably content.
I cared about Holt; he didn't end up so happy. You just lied to me, I am grieved by this.

It will destroyed and remade, me thinks; without Foul.
CT
Stonedownor

Post by CT »

Revan wrote:
CT wrote:

I cared about Holt; he didn't end up so happy. You just lied to me, I am grieved by this.

It will destroyed and remade, me thinks; without Foul.
Hey, I named my son Holt. Not b/c I love the character per se, but b/c it's an awesome name.
lnkstern
Servant of the Land

Liand (and Pahni)

Post by lnkstern »

First time poster here, though I have been a lurker for years.

(1) Roger: "SUCK-er!" I had to laugh a bit, even though the situation was pretty dire.

(2) Pahni's reaction after Liand died -- I KNEW she would be pissed, but dayum! "Bring him back to life!" (sic). That cuts clear to Linden's core!

Lincoln F. Sternn

Return to “Against All Things Ending”