a real world Ranyhyn

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

a real world Ranyhyn

Post by duchess of malfi »

If there was ever a real life real world horse even close to being a Ranyhyn, it is the all time great California based racing mare Zenyatta.

She has 19 starts, 19 victories - most of them in important stakes races, including her being the only female to ever win the Breeder's Cup Classic. Right now she is tied for the North American record for the most consecutive wins, along with a mare named Pepper's Pride, who raced only in New Mexico. And the majority of Zenyatta's wins have come with her carrying a lot more weight than her opponents.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUZXtTzT6M

But it is more than just the wins. This mare has so much personality! Before her races she dances and prances and paws the earth in self-taught dance moves. And she is a huge hambone - she knows when the cameras are out and poses for them. :lol: And when he owners and trainer bring disabled children out to meet her, she is so gentle with them. She stands as still as a rock and lets the little ones pat her - as if she knows they are vulnerable, knows that she must be very careful with the tiny human foals.

She knows where the finish line is, and runs just as fast as she needs to to get her head in front at the wire - her jockey says that she has gears left over she has never hit in any race.

You cannot watch this mare and not know how much joy she finds in her life and in matching herself against other horses.

Anyway, at age 6 she is getting up there in years for a race horse, and after one more race she is being retired so she can become a mother.

So we all have only one more chance to see her run in a race - and that will be on the first Saturday in November when she will be attempting to defend her world championship against some of the best male horses on the planet (and they will be coming away from as far as Japan to challenge her). No horse has ever won the BC Classic race at the age of six, and only one horse (Tiznow, a direct male descendant of the great Man o' War, has ever managed to win the Classic twice), and she is the only female to ever win it. So the odds are hugely against her - but anyone who has seen her knows she will be flying up in the end, giving her best.

For those who have wondered why they do not have great champion horses like Secretariat and Seattle Slew anymore - well they do! Her name is Zenyatta. She is big and beautiful and undefeated. You only have one more chance to watch her.

And win or lose - this great mare is a champion for the ages who will be a legend like Man o' War, Citation, and Secretariat.
Love as thou wilt.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Great post, Duchess, thanks for sharing the clip.

During this year's TdF, there was a short clip that I watched over and over. The cyclists were riding through a gorgeous meadowland of France, when all of a sudden the camera cut to a man riding a magnificent black horse. I must've watched it a dozen times. I found a short clip, no sound, from YouTube, not great quality but you'll see what I mean.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX1D-pgtx0Q
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I always think of the Rany as something that doesn't really exist...the lines and grace you see in all sorts of medium-size horses, but the power of the big ones [Belgian Drafts, in my mind, usually, though Clydes work, and Percheron's seem to have the right colors more often]. I love their various personalities, which can be seen in any size real horse.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

dlb - what a beautiful beautiful horse! thank you! My husband and I watched as much as we could of the tour this summer, because France is just so bloody beautiful!

Vraith, Zenyatta has the size of a smaller draft horse (she is larger than most thoroughbred stallions) but has the athleticism of the bloodhorse that she is. :D And a personality all her own. :D

And she makes miracles! Or at least she does in the mind of the parents of this little boy:
www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/article ... h-zenyatta

dlb, seeing that video makes me think of the life and death of my favorite black stallion (well, technically he was dark brown or bay, but close enough :wink: ).
www.reines-de-course.com/seattle_slew.htm

I have heard thoughts on the internet that he is in the afterworld, waiting for his beloved soul-bonded Karen, as not even death can truly separate them for all time. While he waits he roams the Great Plains and the Black Hills, the herd stallion of a mighty harem, driving off all rivals. And from time to time Crazy Horse seeks him out - the unconquerable man filled with honor and the unconquerable stallion filled with fire - and they race the wind itself across the prairies and through the pine woods of the sacred lands.

He still has sons (AP Indy and Slew City Slew) standing at stud in Kentucky, still jumping mares while in their mid to late twenties, and still siring stakes winners. My secret hope is that Zenyatta will be sent to one of them while there is still time...
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I thought this thread was gonna be about Secretariat. (Which I saw yesterday with my little girl. Cool movie. :D) Zenyatta looks awesome! So when is her 20th race???
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Fist and Faith wrote:I thought this thread was gonna be about Secretariat. (Which I saw yesterday with my little girl. Cool movie. :D) Zenyatta looks awesome! So when is her 20th race???
She will run one more time - to defend her world championship in the Breeder's Cup Classic on Saturday, November 6 at Churchill Downs at 6:45PM eastern. It will be on ESPN in the US.

The odds are hugely against her - only one horse has ever managed to win this race race twice (Tiznow) - no horse as old as she (six) has ever won it. And she is the only female to ever win it, and some great ones have tried before her. Champion colts and stallions will be flying in from all over North America, and from two other continents (one horse has already arrived from Japan!) to challenge her.

But this is our last chance to see one of the all time greats before she reaches her peaceful and secluded second life as a fat and happy pampered broodmare in the green fields of Kentucky (where she will rightfully be treated as a goddess for the rest of her life).

edited to add:
I had to go searching for an ad for a young Clyde stallion that caught my eye a while back (oh, to only have the land and the money!) for Vraith. Isn't he a beauty? There is a growing market in the US for Clydes as pleasure horses, especially for larger people. You see them now being trained and used not only for trail and pleasure riding, but also for dressage, hunting, and cross country jumping! They are also being crossbred with thoroughbreds to make large strong very athletic horses to use in more serious competition.
www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-284934

And at over 17 hands, Zenyatta is larger than this Clyde stallion!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXK7AKhdRbE

They have had to be very careful with her due to her huge size. Since she is so much larger than average for her breed, her humans have been worried about soundness issues (all of that weight pounding down on thoroughbred ankles about the size of champagne flutes). So they did not race her until the end of her three year old season, and have only lightly raced her in every season since. But they have kept her sound, sane, and very happy in all the years they have had her. The fact that she is still racing and winning at age 6, and so obviously enjoys the hell out of life says it all. :biggrin:
Last edited by duchess of malfi on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love as thou wilt.

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Fist and Faith wrote:I thought this thread was gonna be about Secretariat. (Which I saw yesterday with my little girl. Cool movie. :D) Zenyatta looks awesome! So when is her 20th race???
Haven't seen that flick, but I loved the film "Seabiscuit."
Gorgeous creature...Sea and Zen look a bit alike to me [in full-body profile].
Here are some photo's of the real one, though you can probably find better ones [and some footage on youtube]

www.time.com/time/2003/seabiscuit/gallery/index.html
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv49V2RzgHw
what it is like to ride the wind...
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Vraith wrote:
Haven't seen that flick, but I loved the film "Seabiscuit."
Gorgeous creature...Sea and Zen look a bit alike to me [in full-body profile].
Here are some photo's of the real one, though you can probably find better ones [and some footage on youtube]

www.time.com/time/2003/seabiscuit/gallery/index.html
The two do share bloodlines. Seabiscuit was a grandson of the great Man o' War (he was a nephew to War Admiral, whom he faced in the famous match race).

Zenyatta goes back to Man o' War on her mother's side (through War Admiral) and to Man o' War's sire Fair Play on her father's side.

Have not seen "Secretariat" yet, but "Seabiscuit" is a wonderful film. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Seabiscuit is an awesome movie! I really can't stand all the cute little doggy and horsey movies that come out all the time. I was working in a house on a snow day, and the boss there said, "Oh just watch it! It's great!" Nothing else to do all day, so we did. BOOM!!!!!!!! I bought the special edition that has making of, documentary, and best of all - the actual race! Just amazing!!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hee hee! This is off--topic sort of, but all this talk inspired me, so I made a call, and...
On Halloween, I might get to dress up as a Bloodguard and ride a Percheron for a "Haunted Hayride" fundraiser thing they have here every year. I'll post pics if it works out.
His name's "Tarzan" [some people are so bad with naming].
His personality is more like Jane from the Jetson's.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

duchess of malfi wrote:www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv49V2RzgHw
what it is like to ride the wind...
Magnificent!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Vraith wrote:Hee hee! This is off--topic sort of, but all this talk inspired me, so I made a call, and...
On Halloween, I might get to dress up as a Bloodguard and ride a Percheron for a "Haunted Hayride" fundraiser thing they have here every year. I'll post pics if it works out.
His name's "Tarzan" [some people are so bad with naming].
His personality is more like Jane from the Jetson's.
That's awesome! :biggrin:

dlb - I think that is the closest any of us will ever know what the world will look like from the back of a Ranyhyn. 8)

Here is a bit of history:
Zenyatta's first public appearance, as a yearling up for auction:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP8VFLO25Q4

Notice how chatty she was! :) I wonder if she was announcing to the world that she would grow up to become a great queen? :)

At the time her father Street Cry was a new unproven stallion imported from Ireland, and her mother was an unknown mare who had not distinguished herself at the track and with an unknown produce record. And her half sister (same mother) was only a year older and had not yet started winning stakes races.

Here is her lovely elder sister (who is the boss mare of her farm):
cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/throughthelens/ ... lance.aspx

To give you an idea of how these two mares - especially Zenyatta - have upgraded their families, here is the auction of Balance's first colt (sired by one of the greatest sons of the immortal Seattle Slew) as a yearling this summer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qP74qgai-8

Can't you see the resemblances between Zenyatta, her sister, and her sister's first son? :D 8) All three big beautiful bays. :)

And while the $60,000 they paid for Zenyatta is a lot of money to any of us, she has earned over $6 million thus far in purses, and heaven only knows what her foals would sell for (if her owners ever sell them, which they might not given how much they love the big mare).
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Just letting everyone know that they will be having a feature story about Zenyatta on 60 Minutes this Sunday. :D 8)

her first world championship (Breeders Cup Ladies Classic against the females in 2008):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ucnV4RjBU

her second world championship (Breeders Cup Classic - against the males in 2009):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt-88DTxeYs
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Occasionally greatness comes through even in defeat.

The great mare lost for the first time last night, in her final race. :(

The odds were so far against her though - and if she had had room for only one more stride she would have beaten the very good young stallion (only 4 years old to her six) Blame.

She was so far behind the field towards the beginning of her race I thought she would have no chance at all - I thought even with her flying freight train finish she would be able to make it to mid-pack at best and finish far back from the winner.

She was an amazing 8 inches or so short.

What a great horse, with so much heart and determination!

I cannot wait to see her babies someday.

We also saw another potential superstar yesterday. I have been hearing rumors that a two year old colt named Uncle Mo is the most dominating two year old colt since Seattle Slew. He blew away his field (and a very good field at that) in the two year old championship yesterday. His father is more of a sprinter type but he has some stamina on his mother's side. Hopefully he can (like the best) combine the speed of one side with the stamina of the other and set the world on fire next year in the Triple Crown.

And we did get to see history made yesterday in the turf mile. The Irish bred French based super mare Goldikova became the first horse to ever win three Breeders Cups. She won all three in the turf mile against male fields. Goldi is to European racing fans what Zenyatta is to US fans. But unlike the Big Girl she is a tiny little itty bitty thing. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I CANNOT BELIEVE SHE CAME THAT CLOSE!!!!

I CANNOT BELIEVE SHE LOST!!!!!

Damn, that's out of the movies!!! What an incredible race!!!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Fist and Faith wrote:I CANNOT BELIEVE SHE CAME THAT CLOSE!!!!

I CANNOT BELIEVE SHE LOST!!!!!

Damn, that's out of the movies!!! What an incredible race!!!!!
I think that is a race all who watched it will remember forever. Zenyatta revealed her true quality even in her lone defeat. One of the greatest of all time! No question about it!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Et15M6wsPo
I still cannot believe she was able to make up so much ground on the eventual winner. She was so far back! She has so much heart and determination!

Oddly enough the big mare and Blame (the colt who won the race) are sort of pedigree reverses of each other. Zenyatta's father is from Mr. Prospector bloodlines and her mother was sired by a stallion named Kris S. Blame's mother is from Mr. Prospector bloodlines and his father Arch was sired by Kris S. Kris S was by the British stallion Roberto, a noted stamina influence, just as a lot of speed (which tends to combine very well with stamina bloodlines) comes from Mr. Prospector. Another top horse who resulted from a cross of Mr. Prospector and Roberto bloodlines was poor doomed Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro.

Here is Goldikova's history making race for those who might have missed it. When she starts her run it is like she is turning on rockets! Look at the little mare fly!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7I2JjiusFE

but an even better part: her groom's reaction!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W70SzJtkQwk

and best yet: her humans announced today they will be racing her next year at age six - and trying for an unprecedented fourth Breeders Cup!

and next year on the Derby Trail look out for Uncle Mo:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC71S2v3W14
Hopefully he will prove to have the stamina for the longer distances in the classics to go along with his speed....he is a grandson of Arch on his mother's side and therefore a greatgrandson of Kris S, who figures in both the pedigrees of Zenyatta and Blame as a source of their stamina. We can cross our fingers! :)
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

It is official - Zenyatta - one of the greatest race horses of all time is now retired.

www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/article ... ta-retired

Here is the peaceful and beautiful farm in Kentucky where she will live:
www.lanesend.com/

Many of North America's leading stallions, such as Seattle Slew's best remaining son, AP Indy, stand at stud there.

One last look at this great mare and what she has done for so many people (prepare to cry when you read this):
cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-st ... tions.aspx
Look at the gentleness and intelligence in her eyes. This is an animal who has always been unstintingly loved, and freely shares that love with all around her.

Sometimes in this world we need a hero - someone who will never give up, will always keep going and run down the target in front of them no matter how far behind they are, no matter what the odds. A being of light and love and courage and determination. We found that in the big mare.

May she spend many blessed years to come running and dancing across the rolling green pastures of Kentucky, giving birth to and nursing and raising many fine foals. May life bring her continued happiness and love for each and every day she graces this Earth.
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Zenyatta's first baby daddy has been announced!
www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/article ... bernardini

It is the regally bred classic winner Bernardini.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernardini

He is the son Belmont and Breeder's Cup winner AP Indy who is the son of one Triple Crown Winner (Seattle Slew) and the maternal grandson of another (Secretariat). His mother is a multiple stakes winning mare out of a stallion who also sired a near Triple Crown winner in Real Quiet (who won the Derby and Preakness and lost the Belmont by a nostril). His second dam was a daughter of the great Spectacular Bid. So really strong paternal and maternal blood lines in this stallion with numerous blood ties to many classic winners.

In addition, Bernardini is one of the most beautiful stallions you could ever lay eyes on - the resulting foal should be stunning!

His oldest offspring have just turned three, and one named To Honor and Serve is considered one of the early favorites for the Kentucky Derby. I believe that Bernardini became the only first crop sire (one who only has two year olds on the track) to ever sire Grade I winners in both North America and Europe when he had standouts on both continents last year.

Great choice by Zenyatta's owners, and the resulting foal will be one to watch! :biggrin:
Love as thou wilt.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Seeing this made me think of another example of a real world Ranyhyn, especially because of the description of the height of the great horses.

Return to “Sports”