Official Predictions Thread!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Official Predictions Thread!

Post by Orlion »

Are you sure about something? Want to rub it in people's faces when the Last Dark come out? Place it here! In this way, your predictions will be in a safe, easy to find place for everyone to reference!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

simple ones:
Stave will redeem his people.
Jerry's boxes will save the elohim, not doom them.

An old one I made [that I'm sticking with, though I'm less sure now]:
LF will [and now, I include SHE in this] will be restored to proper place: not as a good guy, exactly, but like death/destruction a natural necessity for existence...and proper in location, OUTSIDE the arch [or whatever takes the arches place], not trapped within...so like Creator, unable to directly touch the world.

The ur-viles will exceed anything they've done so far: their understanding/lore of possibilities [direct opposite of other peoples, especially elohims "mystic visions"] and structure will make the new "Law" possible. [a logical, but greater, extension of Vain/staff of Law.]

Longwrath will be directly responsible for saving Linden, probably sacrificing himself in the process.

Really unlikely, but I love them, so I insist: The Sandgorgons will change sides, TC will be responsible for this.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Not likely, but it'll amuse me if it's even remotely true: The Elohim were trapped in the place where Jeremiah's thoughts had been buried, and he will release them with another construct later, when the Worm is no longer a threat to them.

TC will be the main POV character again (please?).

Roger will die an anticlimactic death (like tripping over a pebble and falling over Landsdrop or something like that).

The Ranyhyn on the penultimate page of AATE got to dry land in time.

The Lurker will save Linden's life, and she will be embarrased.

The Mayans were a year off, and the world will end in 2013 on the day before TLD's release, and only the people with ARCs will know if any of these predictions come to pass. :twisted:
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Auleliel wrote: The Mayans were a year off, and the world will end in 2013 on the day before TLD's release, and only the people with ARCs will know if any of these predictions come to pass. :twisted:
If, in the days leading up to release, I start seeing crazy comets, bloody moons, or sunless days, I'm tracking you down and making sure I have at least one more day to live than you do. :evil:
:lol:

I'm also buying an ARC next time. 8)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
chaplainchris
Stonedownor

Post by chaplainchris »

Auleliel - your evil, Despiteful prediction makes me suspect that you are a Raver. Should this prediction be true, I predict that you will be rent. :P

Otoh, I really hope that Roger *does* trip on a pebble and fall off Landsdrop to a miserable ignominious death. I have no emotional connection to this character. Die, tool, die.

Predictions? Hm. My expectations for Liand and Anele both were false. Let's see:

Mahrtiir will get his vision back.
Pahni will teach the Masters how to redeem grief.
I too predict Jeremiah is saving the Elohim, although really, Infelice can jump off Landsdrop for all of me.
Some of the Swordmainnir wil die, and I won't know which ones they were two minutes later.
The redemption of the Sarangrave and the Lurker. (what?!?)
Beauty and Truth shall not pass utterly from the Earth.
"The glory of God is a human being who is fully alive." - St. Irenaeus
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Linden dies.

And there was much rejoicing.
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

Vraith wrote:
Auleliel wrote: The Mayans were a year off, and the world will end in 2013 on the day before TLD's release, and only the people with ARCs will know if any of these predictions come to pass. :twisted:
If, in the days leading up to release, I start seeing crazy comets, bloody moons, or sunless days, I'm tracking you down and making sure I have at least one more day to live than you do. :evil:
:lol:

I'm also buying an ARC next time. 8)
I will not buy an ARC, so if this "prediction" comes true, I will never know about the rest of it either.
Oh, and chaplainchris, whether or not I am a Raver, at the end of the world all physical matter shall be rent, myself included.
:)
dlbpharmd wrote:Linden dies.

As much as I'd rejoice about that, I highly suspect that she will not die any more than she already has (i.e. from that bullet).
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

The two rings and the staff will make a forbidding between the Worm and the Earthblood. The world will survive.

The worm will eat Mrs Voldermart and get a tummy ache and go back to sleep. It will also eat Kastenessen.

The giant with the magic sword will kill Nom the Sandgorgon.

Jeremiah will remove Lord Foul from the Earth. Covenant will replace him in the natural order.

The Elohim won't be seen again. Linden will replace them in some fashion, possibly with the ur-viles or the Insequent.
Unbelieverable
Servant of the Land

Predictions for the last installment

Post by Unbelieverable »

[Mod note: topic merged]

Is it too soon for this? Or is there another thread where this is discussed? If not, i'd just like to put it out there and say that Jeremiah will stop the worm at the beginning of the next book (with a construct as described by the Harrow earlier in Andelain). The rest of the story will be the confronting of all the Land's enemies one or two at a time...ultimately resulting in (obviously) Lord Foul's demise. Just for the record, my predictions, historically, haven't been any good.
"Something in her expression made Covenant feel that he came from a very poor world, where no one knew or cared about healing stoneware pots."
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I think at the end of the next book Richard Dawkins will show up and politely explain to the Creator and Lord Foul why they don't exist.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

The Worm will try a few skurj for a midday snack, which will destroy him. The resulting conflagration will be like the na-Mhoram's biggest Banefire ever. Into which Linden will go to "cleanse" herself ala TC in WGW. But it won't work, she'll be incinerated. :P
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

chaplainchris wrote:Otoh, I really hope that Roger *does* trip on a pebble and fall off Landsdrop to a miserable ignominious death. I have no emotional connection to this character. Die, tool, die.
Roger's a breath of fresh air as far as the villains. He has fun being evil. All the rest of them are retreads. It leads up to a Star Wars moment with TC telling Roger in a Darth Vader voice "Roger I'm your father." ;)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

dlbpharmd wrote:Linden dies.

Not much of a prediction -- she's already dead! :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Longwrath will battle Sandgorgons with his sword.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

All that's left in the Land to fight the skurj, Sandgorgons, Roger and Kastenessen are the Masters.

Though good fighters they can't do much by themselves.

But the end of the world is coming, things/beings are reinventing themselves (the Lurker for instance) and they are about to find out that they've been indirectly serving Foul for the past 3 thousand years.
They are going to be pissed.

What if they decide to use weapons?
And by "weapons" I mean the perfect recollection of all the uses of Kevin's lore that they have in their collective memory.
And each one mounted on a Ranyhyn?
They could wrap those Sandgorgons and Skurj up in a forbidding that would never break.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Preliminarily, I think that Jeremiah's talent for building constructs will somehow be used in conjunction with white gold to build a construct that will act as a bastion to stand against destruction--maybe the forbidding that kept being mentioned.

It will be like the Staff of Law, only immensely more powerful, and stationary--it won't be something to carry around and wield, but rather something like Revelstone, only imbued and pulsing with Earthpower and Law.

Perhaps the Giants will help him use the rubble of Kevin's Watch for this...

And, we will discover that Jeremiah was somehow visited by the Creator.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
DWOLF
Stonedownor

Post by DWOLF »

I think Holt and Angus will find out they have a lot in common, they will team up and kick some. Terisa and Geralden will have a child who gets lost in a mirror, they'll have to go find him. Liand will read these new books and he will be so surprised that his head explodes.
TWDuke77
Servant of the Land

Post by TWDuke77 »

My favourite thread so far! First thing to make me smile since I started AATE...

Predictions:

Finally, Foul may make a re-appearance. I miss his merciless taunting. Really, none of the other 'baddies' cone close. I miss him.

Yep, the Elohim are trapped for their own protection and will be released. Unfortunately.

At some stage I'll care if one of the Giants dies - but only so I stand a better chance of remembering the names of the ones left alive. Giantish overload is somewhat reducing the size of their impact. 'Diminishing returns' in action.

Roger will turn out to be the son of the Old Man in the Ochre Robe who has yet to make an appearance. That's where the Star Wars moment will come from.

The Creator and Foul will be seen in the same place at the same time - proving once and for all that they are NOT the same person.

Covenant will wake up in front of the Police car - the last words of the Chronicles? 'It was all just a dream.'

And at some point I'll sit back and think that reading 3200 pages of the LC was worth it.

[/quote]
'Devalue the object of desire and the pain of loss diminishes' - Patrick Mcgrath
'Funny how secrets travel' - Bowie
jackgiantkiller
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jackgiantkiller »

Lindan will moan and winge incessently throughout the last dark
Linden will constantly bitch about TC not telling her how much he loves her
Lindan will will feel really sorry for herself
Lindan will grip the staff of law and cry in anger, doubt, fear
Lindan will let someone close to her get killed, due to her self absorption and selfpity
How do you hurt someone who has lost everything? give him back somthing broken.

I dont hate death, I hate life!
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

jackgiantkiller wrote:Lindan will moan and winge incessently throughout the last dark
Linden will constantly bitch about TC not telling her how much he loves her
Lindan will will feel really sorry for herself
Lindan will grip the staff of law and cry in anger, doubt, fear
Lindan will let someone close to her get killed, due to her self absorption and selfpity
Ok I'll bite...is this a prediction or a recap? :twisted:
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."

Return to “Against All Things Ending”