Official Predictions Thread!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

OhYeah
Servant of the Land

Post by OhYeah »

The Worm is going to devastate The Land on its way MS, making it basically unlivable, and a mess. Revelstone, Andelain devastated by skurj, gorgons, you name it. Meanwhile, transported to to the Thunderdome by an Insequent, Jerry & his Mom will capture the Worm in a box for a later purpose. The Elohim will be put in another box for their own safety from The Worm.

At the Thunderdome, is the major battle between good and evil beings. Last of Insequent are there, they perish fighting the 'bad guys'. Linden gets to kill Kasty, as revenge for Liand. Cov is going to have to kill his son, in a "I don't want to kill you son" moment, but TC has too, cause Rog is so dog-gone eeeevil. After Elena gets 'sprung' from She, Lord Foul and She will end up in a Jerry Box together for all eternity, never to return. Sort of like living with your ex-wife forever and ever and ever and ever...

The Creator will re-make the Land, and everyone 'good' will live in the New Land. The Creator will have the 'Elohim' come to live with him, as 'angelic' servants, out of the new Land. The New Land will be like paradise in that it won't have any banes to throw it off track. It also won't have any super-humans like Insequent to do whatever in the #ell they want. TC, LA, Elena, and Jerry, will live 'happily ever after' in the New Land, as one big happy adopted family, guiding everyone in the Land...
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

I find myself wondering if the alliance between Foul and Kasty is going to come unravelled....
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

About Kestenessen and the Elohim, my understanding of his story was that after he refused to do his duty, the Elohim used their combined powers to create the forbidding against the Skurj and threw Kestenessen into the prison as well as a punishment for his subordination. That's why, unlike the other appointed, he remained aware to be freed eventually. He wasn't part of the forbidding, he was one of the imprisoned.

In The Last Dark I predict the struggle will center around Mount Thunder. Jeremiah will use his powers to transport the company directly to Kiril Threndor and one of them will use the Krill to kill Kestenessen there. Roger will instantly die as well (because his power is leeched from Kesty) so no one will have to kill him.

Meanwhile the Haruchai and the Giants will fight the Sandgorgons and the Skurj. Longwrath will lead them with his magic sword. Linden would use her staff powers to transform the Skurj into something harmless, maybe she will fuse them into the walls of Kiril Threndor.

Covenant central role would be to make peace between Foul and SHE. His deep understanding of Foul will allow him to spark anew the flame of love between them. Thomas and Linden will be united with the two immortals and their rings (bereft of their magical wild fire powers) will ensure that this time their love would be everlasting. All the women She swallowed will be freed.

All the denizens of the Land will flee to the Sarangrave and they will be transform by the Lurker's powers into free spirits that could withstand the destruction of the world. They will all flow into the root of Mount Thunder and into the Lost Deep where Jeremiah, with the help of the demondim spawn and the unleashed powers of Covenant and Linden's rings and staff will create a new and better cosmos. It will inhabit his body.

The Lurker will be the new Worm (after Jeremiah drinks its essence) in this Creation, the disembodied Haruchai would be the new Elohim, finally getting the chance to have some fun, and the innocent Land people, the new people of the Land.

The Demondim spawn will be a natural part of this Creation. They will be the new Lords.

The story will end with Sheriff Lytton waking up in the hospital. He has just had a wonderful dream about all that's happened in the Last Chronicles. It didn't make much sense to him but he became a better person thanks to it. In the corridor he hears that all the mad-people in Linden's establishment regained their sanity.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Who was this guy who posted this back in 2003-05-02? (Saw this when peter posted in an old thread in the 2nd chrons forum.)
GSG wrote:We've got a new staff of law, but I believe that the law of death is still broken. Remember that Elena breaks that law at the end of The Illearth War, but the Staff of Law survives for a few years until it is destroyed by Covenant/The Colossus near the end of The Power That Preserves. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that the Law of Death is still broken. If that's the case, we'll probably see a lot of Thomas Covenant in the third series.

As to where it takes place, I'm sure it will be like the previous books: a setup that takes place in the real world, and then most of the action taking place in The Land. I just hope that they don't set out for the Worm At World's End again.

I suspect that in the intervening time between the Second Chronicles and the Third, Lord Foul has had a chance to master many ghosts and have them run amok in whatever is left of The Land. I think it would be interesting if, say, three thousand Land Years after the events of the Second Chronicles, we found The Land to be overrun with a population of people who know nothing about earthpower. Perhaps Kevin's Watch was cut down to make way for a new Starbucks?
This guy hit the nail on the head more often than he missed. I want to know who he is - he can manage my 401K!
Crossbow
Servant of the Land

Post by Crossbow »

wayfriend wrote:Who was this guy who posted this back in 2003-05-02? (Saw this when peter posted in an old thread in the 2nd chrons forum.)
GSG wrote:We've got a new staff of law, but I believe that the law of death is still broken. Remember that Elena breaks that law at the end of The Illearth War, but the Staff of Law survives for a few years until it is destroyed by Covenant/The Colossus near the end of The Power That Preserves. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that the Law of Death is still broken. If that's the case, we'll probably see a lot of Thomas Covenant in the third series.

As to where it takes place, I'm sure it will be like the previous books: a setup that takes place in the real world, and then most of the action taking place in The Land. I just hope that they don't set out for the Worm At World's End again.

I suspect that in the intervening time between the Second Chronicles and the Third, Lord Foul has had a chance to master many ghosts and have them run amok in whatever is left of The Land. I think it would be interesting if, say, three thousand Land Years after the events of the Second Chronicles, we found The Land to be overrun with a population of people who know nothing about earthpower. Perhaps Kevin's Watch was cut down to make way for a new Starbucks?
This guy hit the nail on the head more often than he missed. I want to know who he is - he can manage my 401K!
He sure did! I think he only missed with the Starbucks.

I predict... Linden continues to blame herself for every bad thing that ever happened to anyone anywhere, until her very last scene where she finally forgives herself and Love Saves the Day.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

I think we'll find that Linden will be absorbed by She, but with her health-sense will then emancipate She and her constituent women from Her/their madness. This will be a central element in the denouement of the story.

In making this prediction I admit that I'm influenced by a possible parallel with the events in the Second Chronicles in which Linden goes into a funk after simply being touched by samadhi/Gibbon, but by the end of the story has grown enough to be able to endure and eventually overcome possession by moksha Jehannum. In AATE Linden went into a funk due to the proximity of She (who is far more powerful than a Raver) but presumably by the end of The Last Dark sjhe will have grown further to be able to cope with becoming part of She
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

The Arch has to go: I can't see SRD not wanting to write this!

So the liklihood I think is that we'll see mass destruction in a maelstrom of events that confront the major protagonists, those from here, the Hurachai, the Elohim and "elementals" Foul, She, the Creator, etc. Death and rebirth, vindication and redemption, order and chaos.... the whole lot bound by White Gold and its nature of Paradox.

The series will end with a new Land; Covenant as the wild magic that creates and Linden as the Law that constructs. Cue sunrise over greenfields scene and the creator walking off into the distance, turning and winking.....and it is Mohram (barf).
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Turiya-Herem
Servant of the Land

Demondim Spawn

Post by Turiya-Herem »

Urvile and Waynhim turn out to be genders.

Probably not...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, T-H!

While I may have some experience with genders that pursue such divergent goal paths, fight each other with no holds barred when they meet, and still manage to bond for the good of species continuity... :twisted:

I agree, probably not. SRD has written the Urviles and Waynhim in such a way that it is just not credible that there can be pair-bonding between members of the races...unless the genders meet only in surreptitious encounters and raise the resulting young only when what is born is of the same species as the bearer. Clearly, the two forms do not cohabitate, and it would be a strain to imagine either Urvile or Waynhim raising (and conditioning) one of the other sort.

Interesting thought experiment...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Turiya-Herem
Servant of the Land

Post by Turiya-Herem »

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I do think it is unlikely - however, since the spawn are creations, having never experience a childhood as such, and having their partial philosophies (weird/wurd) tied to their physical attributes, rather than having been conditioned to them - offspring are not likely to need... "upbringing" - but would be manufactured with a more complete interpretation of the weird from conception - something like those of the uncorrupted Viles perhaps?
Gender here being complimentary parts of a single thing - offspring would probably mean no more Urviles/Waynhim - The seeming contradiction represented by each to the other, may, in fact, be a paradox (in the vicinity of the kind that seems to feature in the Chronicals).

Just noticed another possible paradox, right beside my forum posts:
-------------------
Turiya-Herem
Servant of the Land

Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Turiya-Herem wrote:

Turiya-Herem
Servant of the Land
Hey, the ur-Viles became "good guys". Maybe there is hope for the Ravers! :lol:
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Horrim Carabal wrote:
Turiya-Herem wrote:

Turiya-Herem
Servant of the Land
Hey, the ur-Viles became "good guys". Maybe there is hope for the Ravers! :lol:
now THAT would be unexpected! I think you should be gifted the white gold ring if it turns out right. :biggrin:

But Turiya, the gender thing is fun even if very unlikely...however, it points at a thing I often wonder about. Events and the Wayn. obviously brought change to the ur-Viles, so they're on the "same side" now. Yet I keep thinking the ur-Viles, even though not as Evil-selfish-yet-desperate as Horrim Carabal ALSO aren't necessarily selfless/in service/altruistic...and I wonder how that will play into/play out in the final stage.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Turiya-Herem
Servant of the Land

Post by Turiya-Herem »

Well... neither of the d-spawn are directly altruistic.
Primarily, they utterly serve their own current interpretations of their Weird - which may, consequently be interpreted as altruistic (in some instances).

The Ravers.... now what is the chance they are children of She, conceived/corrupted through a-Jeroth's (thus-far) vague betrayal?
Turiya-Herem
Servant of the Land

Post by Turiya-Herem »

Expanding on the d-spawn comment...
How is it that the presence staff of Law is hazardous to them, due to them not being creature of Law, when the staff itself is partially d-spawn?
Could the blackness of the staff and its fire be related to greater activation of the Vain portion?
The marriage of Earth power and Vile power could hint at the Urvile intention... while the Wayhim serve Law, the Urviles serve the vision behind Vain's creation - perhaps re-written Law to replace the previously shattered one (like the staff) - one which the d-spawn are not excluded.

Too much speculation... :/
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

1. Due to the alliance with the lurker and geographic proximity, the protagonists will head to the Sarangrave.

2. Horrim Carabal will have some cockamamie scheme in mind for the Staff.

3. Not sure how all that gets worked out, but then it's westward to Gravin Threndor.

4. The Masters will employ their newfangled (via Stave) mental powers to do something effective about the Sandgorgons, since both forms of life use the same kind of telepathy. They will also help take care of Her using their powers/Bloodguard marriage history/sense of commitment (*nod* at Vraith).

5. Kevin's Dirt is dispelled.

6. "written in water": the combined effect on the waterways of the Worm's approach, the flood in the Lost Deep, and/or the battle in the Wightwarrens will allow the protagonists to travel in reverse on the rivers west. No more depending on equine or Gap (;)) magic to travel fast.

7. Here, I'm torn. There are reasons to go to Revelstone as well as Gallows Howe. I'll list my predictions from Revelstone on first, then the others.

8a. Jeremiah does something with all the "toys," if you will, in the Aumbrie.

8b. Jeremiah is possessed by a Raver.

8c. Linden uses the Staff at Glimmermere to make a new One Tree. This embodies the restored Laws of Life and Death and harmonizes the Demondim-spawn with the natural order. This is relevant to stopping the Worm (see below).

8d. The Land and Earthpower are too damaged/corrupt (the darkening of the Staff is implicated in this), though, so the Creator finally intervenes and breaks the Arch.

8e. Linden kills Covenant, learning to accept his Death.

OR?

9a. Jeremiah is possessed by a Raver at Gallows Howe. Incidentally, this place the Sunbane didn't destroy.

9b. The similarity between the blackened trees there and the blackened trees in Elemesnedene will allow him to open a portal from Gallows Howe to the Elohim home.

9c. Following him, Linden will carry the black Staff into the realm of the stars accessible during the Elohimfest. Covenant follows her. Queue the Last Dark.

ALSO...

Roger listed 5 materials aside from racetracks that Jeremiah can use to make constructs, in this order:
  • WOOD . STONE . METAL . BONE . CLOTH
We first saw him use Garrotting Deep to make the door to the Blood of the Earth. Then we saw the travertine cloaking device. Then we saw his racecar and the remains of quellvisks fused at Muirwin Delenoth. That leaves cloth. (C.f. the Mahdoubt's raiment.) We could start with Jeremiah's pajamas. Linden's jeans are pretty significant threads. Infelice's sendaline stuff of dreams or w/e might be, too. And we know how much Covenant loves his fashion sense. But what Jeremiah would make from these, I have no idea. Maybe Jeremiah will build a door for himself and Linden, maybe a redeemed Roger, back to our world. But this door is like a trap, too: it will permanently prevent outsiders to Time from re-entering the Land, thereby ensuring that these ARE the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

The Creator was able to prevent Covenant's death in TPTP. Who's to say he can't heal Linden, Jeremiah, or whoever?

But wait, there's more!

Mahrtiir's questing for a great story. Infelice thinks stories are equivalent to life. Covenant thinks they're equivalent to the entire world. Somehow, these plot strands/leitmotifs converge, potentially in a way related to the Creator's talk with Covenant about storytelling at the end of TPTP.

I think the Dead need to go. Not in a bad way, just to help settle the Worm. If the Tree is life and the Worm death, then the breaking of the Law of Death might be related to the Worm's awakening, and not just in the sense that it allowed Covenant's resurrection. Or, the breaking of the Laws of Life and Death, since the Arch of Time is at one point said to be "the arch of life that spans and masters Time," is how the Worm consuming the Blood of the Earth can destroy Time: Time is so weak at this point that even the Worm can break it with enough might. By restoring the Laws of Life and Death, the Worm will not be put back to sleep, but it will not be able to shatter the Arch, then, either.

Or, by "consume the Arch of Time" is not meant the same kind of destruction as if wild magic scaled completely out of control. Maybe it would be more like the wasteland of the caesures. But this is no longer prediction.

Before I forget...

The Ranyhyn all or mostly die. Treacherous lurker... But this is just something I'm dreading.
peter4361
Servant of the Land

Theomach?

Post by peter4361 »

It's a while since I read AATE, but here are a few thoughts - just my twopennyworth.

What stuck with me from AATE was the absence of the Theomach. Ever since it was revealed that his real name is Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol, I've viewed him as a key character - possibly the ultimate one (he spent a long time as guardian of the One Tree, so during that time presumably studied the Worm of the World's End, and therefore is most likely to know what to do about it. And Linden, knowing his name, can command him.)

Maybe the term "Insequent" refers to the ability to time-travel (e.g. not bounded by the laws of sequence.) And further, given the discontinuity between time in the Land and time in "our world", maybe all the Insequent come from the latter, have figured out how to move between the two worlds, and use this to appear/disappear where and when they wish.

So - maybe the Theomach will reveal to Linden that both she, Covenant and Jeremiah are Insequent themselves - and having found that out, Linden will learn how to return to our world before her own death.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Brinn killed the Theomach at the end of TOT. Also, in FR after the battle between the Mahdoubt and the Harrow, Linden said the name "Kenaustin Ardenol" in FR and nothing happened.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Before anything comes out, I want to make this wild prediction:

The Worm=The Creator.

Bam.

Edited to add, in a semi-jocular fashion:

Lord Foul=The Arch.

Mindf*
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
shinnok
Stonedownor

Post by shinnok »

Orlion wrote:Before anything comes out, I want to make this wild prediction:

The Worm=The Creator.

Bam.

Edited to add, in a semi-jocular fashion:

Lord Foul=The Arch.

Mindf*
I have to question the logic of your prediction. The Worm is the destroyer of worlds - he does not create, and would make no sense making him ‘the Creator.’ Perhaps we can wait 'till it eats half the stars in the universe and falls asleep again, but that would probably be a fourth chronicle, not the last book in the third.
Lord Foul - probably the smartest and most Machiavellian of all Dark Lords - has been imprisoned in the Arch for millennia...if he were the Arch itself he would have figured it out by now. Finally, if Stephen decides to end the epic in the manner you predict he would have forged a finish that would make the Dark Tower's finale look good. This is his life's work - he won't go there.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

shinnok wrote:if Stephen decides to end the epic in the manner you predict he would have forged a finish that would make the Dark Tower's finale look good.
Ooooo...burn!

But seriously...how did the Crimson King become an ineffectual old guy with a box of Harry Potter grenades?

Its not even the same character as in Insomnia. Not even close.

Boy, that series ended with an enormous thud.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”