Did Findail lie?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Henochius
Servant of the Land

Did Findail lie?

Post by Henochius »

In the Second Chronices, Findail says that the One Tree was unguarded at the time Berek went there; however the Last Chronicles says it was indeed guarded (and this was one of the reasons the Theomach had to accompany Berek). So, if I'm not mistaken, either Findail lied, or SRD made a mistake...!?
I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the other members on this; am I missing something obvious...?
(I don't know if this is explained in AATE as I haven't yet read it, only the first 8 books.)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'm pretty sure Donaldson said on the G.I. that it was an "oops" [actually, IIRC he said it was a big-time screw-up or somesuch].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

It's explained briefly in AATE.
It might be further explained in the last book.

I'll spoil it if you really want to know:
Spoiler
It has something to do with ....read AATE!

I was going to tell you but it occurred to me that if you (or anyone else) are expecting some major revelation and there isn't one you'll be disappointed. Or if you think it's nothing and it's a game changer you won't be happy either.
Sorry.
I don't want to break anyone's Arch of the Final Chronicles.

:D
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Henochius
Servant of the Land

Post by Henochius »

OK, that's interesting :-) . Thanks for the info...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's a retcon, plain and simple.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

dlbpharmd wrote:It's a retcon, plain and simple.
I think so as well.
Love as thou wilt.

Seeker of Truth
Ramen

Post by Seeker of Truth »

since when did Findail ever offer unconditional information anyway?? ;)
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchett - Jingo
Bill the Cat
Servant of the Land

Post by Bill the Cat »

I agree. Findail was an elohim, and the Theomac was an Insequent. Maybe Findail was embarrassed that an Insequent defeated the previous elohim guardian?
I may not yet be as old as dirt, but dirt and I are starting to have an awful lot in common... SRD

Return to “Fatal Revenant”