The Walking Dead TV series on AMC

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Blackhawk
Bloodguard

The Walking Dead TV series on AMC

Post by Blackhawk »

A new series called "the Walking Dead" premiered last night on Halloween,HOLY **** did any of you catch this? as ive said before..nothing scares me (Horror movie wise) in this world... except ZOMBIES!!!!! they did great special effects from what ive seen so far on this series.. its hard for me to watch because half of me is screaming CHANGE THE STATION!!! but the other half cant get enough. I dont want to spoil any of it so give it a watch if you can find it out there.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Re: The Walking Dead TV series on AMC

Post by sindatur »

Blackhawk wrote:A new series called "the Walking Dead" premiered last night on Halloween,HOLY **** did any of you catch this? as ive said before..nothing scares me (Horror movie wise) in this world... except ZOMBIES!!!!! they did great special effects from what ive seen so far on this series.. its hard for me to watch because half of me is screaming CHANGE THE STATION!!! but the other half cant get enough. I dont want to spoil any of it so give it a watch if you can find it out there.
I recorded it, my Lover watched it and loved it (He's a great Zombie-phile as well). Looks like it will be on On Demand for Concast, as they have a spot for it, and have preliminary stuff like Comic Con panel, and trailers and such, so I imagine if it's not there tomorrow morning, it'll be there enxt Monday. I plan on watching it tonight
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I liked the first half, but the second half went downhill a little.

The thing about zombie movies - ok, I get that in 'this universe' zombies have never existed until now. Not understanding zombie mechanics makes some sense at first. But now that you know there are zombies... act like it. Do we have to assume that this is also a universe where they have no post-apocalyptic fiction? Don't go charging down main street in Atlanta on a f'ing horse (I mean, you obviously saw the immobilized tank. did you think it just ran out of gas?) without scoping the area out. You're a sheriff's deputy, for god's sake. Have some common sense.

I hope that was just a small hiccup in what will otherwise be a good series. For once, it would be nice to see a character in that kind of setting survive because they are smart rather than because the script needs them to (and aren't just miraculously lucky that they're attacked by a mob of zombies and escape without being infected).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm just not convinced an original zombie story exists anymore that hasn't been done fifteen billion times. Seriously, come up with some random zombie plot, and a movie probably exists for it.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

My kids watch so many zombie movies and play so many zombie games, I admit I'm a little sick of the concept. I made fun of this show before I saw it (.."now they're going to make the concept into a freakin TV series!?!"), but then I caught a little of it while flipping, and decided to record the replay of it. It looked pretty good. I'll watch tonight.

[Edit:
I'm just not convinced an original zombie story exists anymore that hasn't been done fifteen billion times. Seriously, come up with some random zombie plot, and a movie probably exists for it.
Ha, ha. Yeah, that's what I mean! Exactly.]
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

HEHE, it's not specifically about an "original Plot".

Zombie "rules" come in all shapes and sizes (They eat Brains exclusively, they eat the whole body, they do or don't eat non-humans, outbreak caused by aliens, a virus, or radiation, Voodo, or sometimes unexplained. Comedy mixed in or not, etc). With so many options, people who have a particular Zombie they prefer don't get alot of movies they can really sink their teeth into ( ;) ) so, even if the plot isn't original, they are still enjoyable because there are so few of that specific set of rules and many you think are stupid, because they don't follow your preferred set of rules.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Well, I finally got around to watching it. Not bad. About what I was expecting. The production, effects, acting, etc. were all okay. I don't see much potential for a story here, however. Obviously, the guy will spend the season looking for his wife and son. And kill zombies. I guess if that's all you're looking for in a zombie series, this fits the bill. It would have been nice if the main character was actually interesting.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Orlion wrote:I'm just not convinced an original zombie story exists anymore that hasn't been done fifteen billion times. Seriously, come up with some random zombie plot, and a movie probably exists for it.
Not much into the Zombie genre, but given vamp detectives, seriel killer detectives why not a zombie detective...or has that been done?

"Dead-ster" anyone?
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

thought the show was great. the source comics are also great.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I saw the first episode, and it was great. Anxiously awaiting my return home on Friday, so I can watch the second part on ON DEMAND.

Apparently, the ratings/reception were so good after just the first two episodes aired, that they have already commisioned a second season of 13 episodes.

I really enjoyed the first episode, and am looking forward to continuing to watch, but, I'm curios/concerned how they can keep a Zombie series going and interesting (not redundant) for 19 1/2 hours and maybe more.

Though, it does kind remind me of the British remake/reimagined Series Survivors (Post appocolyptic series about a dealy virus that wiped out most of thhe population and the Survivors and what they go through) and it was still great after 2, 6 episode Seasons/Series, and is renewed for a third, so, it very well may work out long term.

Definitely a bold proposition to take on.

The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

I thought the pilot was pretty great, for what it was. Unfortunately every episode after that has got progressively worse and more predictable and lazy in terms of writing. The fight at the end of the latest one was okay, but the fact that it took them more than half the season - via shitty character development and increasingly cliched setpieces - to get to it is terrible. And the whole opening scene was so horribly shoe-horned into the main plot that it was horribly obvious that it was just there to make us care about the ending.

And oh god the grandma, what the hell was that :(
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

I'm not gonna argue the predictability of the plot or the characterization. It's a freaking zombie TV show.

However, the latest episode, when they showed the brain of test subject 19 and how the disease affected the brain, and what came back ... that was chilling.

I recall somewhere in Flicks is a thread that linked to a website article about horror movie fears (clearly done for laughs), and the fear of zombies supposedly comes from our fear of crowds. Wrong. That bit I saw in this mostly banal TV show crystalized my fear of zombies as the loss of my humanity.
ItisWritten
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

ItisWritten wrote:I'm not gonna argue the predictability of the plot or the characterization. It's a freaking zombie TV show.

However, the latest episode, when they showed the brain of test subject 19 and how the disease affected the brain, and what came back ... that was chilling.

I recall somewhere in Flicks is a thread that linked to a website article about horror movie fears (clearly done for laughs), and the fear of zombies supposedly comes from our fear of crowds. Wrong. That bit I saw in this mostly banal TV show crystalized my fear of zombies as the loss of my humanity.
Can we have a spoiler on the info about the series. We're a week behind here in the UK. :thumbsup:
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Phantasm wrote:
ItisWritten wrote:I'm not gonna argue the predictability of the plot or the characterization. It's a freaking zombie TV show.

Can we have a spoiler on the info about the series. We're a week behind here in the UK. :thumbsup:
I considered the spoiler level of this before I posted. I despise spoilers, too.

What I mentioned (without describing) isn't a spoiler. It's a visual, which can't be spoiled by my pitiful words or humble opinion.
ItisWritten
vasko
Woodhelvennin

Post by vasko »

A fan of the comics and a fan of the series.
It's quite sedate which I actually like.
Almost a soap that just happens to have zombies in it?
Impressively gore filled though, never seen this level of gore on telly before. Which is nice :)
"There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken." - Thomas Covenant
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

See what you mean about test subject 19 - good stuff.

Is the series still running in the US, as that was the last episode until next year here in the UK.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

The first season was only 6 eps long but I think it's been confirmed for a longer second season. I'll probably watch the last two episodes of this season over Christmas, and I'm willing to give the next one a chance given that the US tends to be a bit better with longer-running dramas than UK-style 6-episode series.

Plus apparently they've gone for a huge shakeup of the writing staff, and man, the first episode implied it would be really great. The rest was just so goddamn bad :(
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

What I like about zombie stories is the post-apoc how civilization tries to rebuild stories. The zombies are kinda like the shark in Jaws. They give the characters a reason to join together (or not) in a common cause. But the real story is the characters.

This series has potential but seemed to be threading water in the middle. The first two episodes were good. The last episode was good. In between a little weak.
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Sadly, zombies and vampires are now in the same boat--they have been so over-done that I am tired of them. The only movie I have heard about that has anything fresh to offer zombies was called "Fido" (or something like that) about a boy and his pet zombie (their world was post-Z-day but survived so zombies are everywhere).
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I really liked "Fido." Probably because I really like Billy Connolly, and he played the titular role.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “TV Shows”