The Walking Dead TV series on AMC

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I wish I had a good answer for that. I think it's sort of like Battered Wife Syndrome. There's a good premise here, and every once in a while the show sets me back on my heels. But as a series, this show gets a weak "C" at best.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Julie and I predicted some five deaths apiece. Dull mid season ending.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

That was a seriously kick-ass episode on Sunday night. Very gratifying - especially the bazooka incident. It felt like they dropped a couple of lines, but overall it was one of the best nights in a while. I wonder how long Rick's new found hope can survive. I don't think they're staying in Alexandria buy they haven't been forced to leave ... yet.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:That was a seriously kick-ass episode on Sunday night. Very gratifying - especially the bazooka incident. It felt like they dropped a couple of lines, but overall it was one of the best nights in a while. I wonder how long Rick's new found hope can survive. I don't think they're staying in Alexandria buy they haven't been forced to leave ... yet.
I agree. We kept saying, "dayyyyyum!" over and over.

Really strong episode.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I guess if you like exploding bikers and kids getting eaten alive, it was a strong episode. I though it was a jump the shark episode. It felt campy. How many times did someone almost get killed before someone else showed up in the nick of time with a gun and a one-liner? "Nibble on that!" I like it when the action sets up character development, not when it makes me go "dayyuumm." It was so over the top, I kept expecting certain parts to be a dream sequence.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

All I can say is: you got a group called the Saviors, and a guy called Jesus, how unrelated can they really be?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, I didn't see that episode coming. Great Carol episode; the complexity the show is revealing of her serves it's overarching theme very well. IMO, it seems like Morgan has "infected" her with a point of view she is struggling to incorporate; but it's a good question as to whether she is regaining some humanity ground or if she's just going bonkers. (And it's perfect that we have to wonder.) That scene at the beginning, about "carrying that" and "as if you did it yourself" seems poignant in light of all this. Carol is strong, I see her emerging from this.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yeah, that was a brutal ep. Maggie sure surprised me, too. I don't expect her to say things like, "We have to finish this."
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Also fun was meeting Alicia Witt after the show (on Talking Dead) - such a fun, exuberant person, pleasantly unexpected after watching her act as a machiavellian warlord.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I don't watch Talking Dead but didja know Alicia Witt was the little girl in Dune?

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(Abomination!)

No! I thought she was one of the daughters from 8 Simple Rules. But that was (IMDB tells me) Amy Davidson. But (now that I looked it up) she was the daughter on Cybill, which explains that "I've seen her before" feeling. Alia Atreides is way a cooler connection, but I don't think I coulda made that on my own.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:Also fun was meeting Alicia Witt after the show (on Talking Dead) - such a fun, exuberant person, pleasantly unexpected after watching her act as a machiavellian warlord.
I never watch that, but happened upon it this week. I concur, she was a pleasure to watch. I've liked her in everything I've seen of hers, and no, I had no idea she was in Dune.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I guess that was a connecting ep last night. I guess we wait and see what we're connecting to.

"I can't love anyone, because I can't kill for anyone."

Now that's poignant. (Someone should tell her to read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.)

Will the cliff hanger due in 2 episodes be about conflicted, pacifistic Carol needing rescue from Dwight? (Funny, you can search for just "Carol" in Google News and Walking Dead stories are the top hits.)

[ok, more.] This show continues to explore the boundaries of humanity in conflict with crisis. And I like it! Here we have Eugene, who's belatedly going into "Stage 2: Ready to Fight". Meanwhile, poor Carol has been through stages 3 and 4, and is tripping up in stage 5 or thereabouts. She seemed capable of flipping from idyllic domestic to blood-soaked mercanary at will. But she was a bit nuts, and Morgan tipped her out of her balance. Now she's trying to reconcile Loving and Killing, from an angle we probably hadn't thought about before. She seems to know that the power to kill and the power to love are two sides of the same coin, too intimately intergrown to be severed from each other. But now she can't figure out how to achieve less of one while seeking more of the other - it doesn't seem possible.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Alicia Witt was written into Twin Peaks by the director of that and Dune, David Lynch.

Julie and I have really enjoyed this half of the season. but there is dread with Negan coming.

I have Fear the Walking Dead on disc and will be watching that.

we both really enjoy Talking Dead and feel it adds a lot to the show.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

THR: Negan is coming in the season six finale. How would you describe his first entrance?

Norman Reedus: That episode is the most hardcore episode you've ever seen on the show. Ever. And it's so well directed [by exec producer Greg Nicotero] and it's so well played out. And so terrifying. It's so good. A lot of effort went into making that the best episode we've ever shot on this show.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

wayfriend wrote:
THR: Negan is coming in the season six finale. How would you describe his first entrance?

Norman Reedus: That episode is the most hardcore episode you've ever seen on the show. Ever. And it's so well directed [by exec producer Greg Nicotero] and it's so well played out. And so terrifying. It's so good. A lot of effort went into making that the best episode we've ever shot on this show.
Christ. He wasn't kidding.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Last night was pretty intense. Painful, I must say. It caused a lot of real anxiety for the fans in my family. Which means, of course, that it succeeded.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I won't belabor the point for fear of seeming needlessly argumentative, but I'm no longer a fan of this show. I thought this season was some of the corniest, campiest crap on TV. We finished it out, but more as a Mystery Science Theater exercise in family mockery.

Bitch nuts.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I'm about done with this show. I think mainly because with the cliffhanger ending, I found I couldn't care less who the "lucky" person is.
Plus, I find the world view of this show abhorrent. I know it is a show and that if everyone got along, there would be no drama. But I would imagine if something like this ever happened, people would band together more and there'd be smaller pockets of the horrible dickhead leaders, instead of them seemingly everywhere. It seems to me when horrible things happen, people just want to feel safe and taken care of, and tend to try to work together to make that happen, which we've seen several times throughout history, at least in my lifetime. I don't see people of today putting up with a leader that kills his or her own people, and living under that fear for very long. I just don't see the type of people they frequently encounter on the show surviving long.
I've mentioned this to others at work and they find me naive.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Humans can be savages. However, I think in a zombie apocalypse, you'd have the same exact social structures evolving that we've seen during every other human, environmental, or biological catastrophe. The general trend of human nature is to evolve ever more complex social structures that are ever more interdependent. Sure, there is war and conflict, but the general trend has produced what we have now: a technological, global civilization. We've always had hardship, predators, calamity, etc. That doesn't stop the general trend, and neither should the (largely) ineffectual zombie problem.

None of the global technology has really been harmed by the zombies, from what I can see. I think humans would have moved past petty, low-tech tribalism long before now.

That could still be a fascinating story.

Return to “TV Shows”