Japanese and Italian

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Japanese and Italian

Post by lurch »

huh? Yea,,Mishio Massima..The author has me scratching my head on this one,,the Ardents " steed" that TC was told not to forget..Mishio Massima..!!

A google of it produces websites in Italian."massima" meaning leadership or leading in authority of..in Italian ..? and Mishio ..Japanese for.".relating to salt"
Okay..it was a very " strange" .."unconnected" scene with the Ardent telling TC not to forget Mishio Massima..weird! to say the least and a bridge in to the future to be crossed for sure. Yet, what of now? As in,,a horse named to regards of being a leading authority on Salt...well..salt peppered on a worm supposedly will kill it...?

Maybe the author refers to ..salt of the earth..humanity?

Then there is Mishio Kaguko(spl?) a leading authority on natural foods and thus lifestyles..hhhmm..connected with TC's repeated exclamations of.." I got to go!" at end of scene..perhaps another SRD joke? Don't forget a daily epsom salt enema to stay healthy? Geesh Donaldson must be feeling his age! Perhaps way too much of a stretch even for Donaldson. Yet,,Joan's existence could be seen as a load of horse crap that had to be put to an end.

Yet,, I seek understanding in this combination of Japanese and Italian for a horses name that the Ardent believes is of Import to TC and Lindens future.
Perhaps the author invites team work in solving this bit of mystery..something to keep us busy until the release of TLD..?...
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Japanese and Italian

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

lurch wrote:huh? Yea,,Mishio Massima..The author has me scratching my head on this one,,the Ardents " steed" that TC was told not to forget..Mishio Massima..!!
Sometimes a name is just a name. That is probably the case with 'Mishio.'
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'm assuming he'll need the horse's name in order to call him in TLD after the Harrow's horse dies.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

lurch wrote:
Joan's existence could be seen as a load of horse crap that had to be put to an end.
:haha:

OMG, that is just too freakin' hilarious!

And how does one put a load of horse crap to an end?

edited: Also, the combination of leading and salt makes me think of Foamfollower. Clearly, this mount will have a role to play before the end. :yeehaa:
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

aliantha wrote:I'm assuming he'll need the horse's name in order to call him in TLD after the Harrow's horse dies.
That's what I'm thinking.
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

dlbpharmd wrote:
aliantha wrote:I'm assuming he'll need the horse's name in order to call him in TLD after the Harrow's horse dies.
That's what I'm thinking.
Yep. It's not SRD's way to build in such a setup without a payoff later.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

yes,,sure,,but, why Mishio Massima? Seems rather extravagant for a name of a horse ,,so,,is there any import to the name and its Future servitude to TC? ..does the name imply its future function? or,,as Worm has it..no,,a name is simply a name. Then why not Spot,,or Trigger,,or Sam..? What I find interesting is that its a first and last name ..Not a lot of first and last name characters in the Land..Most are single name, horses anyway. The name is just so Odd..perhaps thats the whole deal..the horse is Odd..inexplicable in nature. HHHmmm. I'm likeing it. The Ardent and his wish for Experience to be taken there by a horse inexplicable..
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

heh...the name does seem foregrounded... yea, it has a practical purpose, TC is gonna need a ride...but it seems to hint at more, so I'll play along with some possibles...you tell me what they might mean:
"The principle of salt"
"The adage of salt [or "salt sayings" or "salt maxims"
"Maximum salt"
"All-encompassing" or "girded by" Salt or "Salt that encompasses, engulfs or girds"

Are we having fun yet?
:biggrin:
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm not even sure if the Ardent's mount is worth its weight in salt :biggrin:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Orlion wrote:I'm not even sure if the Ardent's mount is worth its weight in salt :biggrin:
but is it worth the salt in my beer?
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Just a thought but could the Ardent have disguised an Insequent's name in his horse's name?
A little knowledge is still better than no knowledge.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Maybe the horse *is* an Insequent? 8O

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

aliantha wrote:Maybe the horse *is* an Insequent? 8O
So... no one can talk to a horse, of course, unless that horse happens to be the famous Mishio Massima? :lol:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

"Furthermore, neeigh! I would like to add that you forgot to add salt to my hay. The ranyhyn council has been notified of your deplorable lack of horse-sense. Now start horsing around. Neeeigh!"
Fuzzy_Logic
Woodhelvennin

Post by Fuzzy_Logic »

I think the horse's name is grandiose because of the Ardent's grand self-image, not necessarily because it's especially important.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'm not sure it's important, but I suspect it might be interesting...the guy liked one-of-a-kind, absolutely unique things. Since riding is so ordinary, I'm curious about what's so special with his particular mount.
esperandus
Servant of the Land

A horse is a horse of course of course....

Post by esperandus »

Unless the horse is an insequent that can be summoned and commanded using its very name :)

+1 for that suggestion above. I feel like the *name* was pushed a bit too strongly for it to not be important in the future. That horse is special, that much is clear. It seems logical for it to be an insequent.

Alternatively, "My steed" may refer to something else entirely. Not a horse at all. Perhaps some magical transportative force; perhaps a disparaging name for the ardent's body itself. Or maybe something equally weird.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Sometimes a horse is just a horse.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Of course, of course
And no one can talk to a horse of course
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

The last time Covenant needed a horse he didn't need to know its name to summon it. The Humbled Ranyhyn brought it to him on their own. So the Ardent didn't give him his name just so he could summon it.

I know this may sound surprising, but could it be that the Ardent wants someone to care for his horse, his only remaining legacy, after he dies?

Return to “Against All Things Ending”