TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

dlbpharmd
Lord

The Wounded Land, Chapters 8 & 9

Post by dlbpharmd »

CHAPTER EIGHT

THE CORRUPTION OF THE SUN

This chapter begins with Linden and Covenant realizing that the Sunbane-changed Marid’s attack had been successful: Covenant was bitten on the right forearm by one of the serpent’s heads. Linden quickly attempts to administer first aid to Covenant, cutting across the bite in a fashion similar to the way that Covenant attempted to treat the little girl’s snakebite in TPTP. When she attempts to suck out the poison, she is horrified at the unnatural vehemence of the venom:
“Poison. That wasn’t just venom. It was something more – something worse. Like the Sunbane. Some kind of moral poison.”
Meanwhile, Sunder completes the ritual of raising water and food from Marid’s blood. This is our first encounter with the power of the graveler, and we see that his exertions in manipulating the Sunbane have temporarily exhausted him. We’re also introduced to ussusimiel, a type of melon which Sunder says will pass as food on their journey.
Covenant is on the verge of passing out from the effects of Marid’s venom and Linden’s attempt to treat him, but before he loses consciousness he tells Sunder that he wants to go to Revelstone. To Sunder, this is just another piece of evidence of Covenant’s lunacy:
“Revelstone? You wander in your wits. Do you not know that Revelstone is the Keep of the na-Mhoram? Have I not spoken of the Rede concerning you? The Riders journey throughout the Land, commanding your destruction. Do you believe that they will welcome you courteously?…..Heaven and Earth! This is the greatest madness of all.”
After removing Covenant’s tourniquet, the trio set out in on their way and in search of more aliantha. While walking, Sunder sings part of the familiar song that Nassic taught him concerning the paradox of white gold, then goes on to sing of a-Jeroth of the Seven Hells, the Clave name for Lord Foul. The song relates the Clave’s legend that the Land, personified as “Diassomer Mininderain,” the mate of the Master, is cleverly seduced by a-Jeroth and runs away with him. Ashamed of her unfaithfulness, she begs the Master for forgiveness, but receives his wrath and retribution instead, as does a-Jeroth:
“Thus Earth became a gallow-fells,
For a-Jeroth of the Seven Hells.”
Linden questions Sunder about the Riders, and we learn that the Riders travel on great beasts called coursers – powerful animals bred in Revelstone and immune to the Sunbane.
Covenant becomes delirious from the effects of the venom, and is in and out of consciousness for some time. Linden and Sunder travel from one aliantha bush to another, and force-feed treasure berries to Covenant until he begins to recover. When he awakens from his delirium, we have this great foretelling scene between Linden and Covenant:
Dimness obscured Linden’s mien; but she was gazing down at him and he gave her a wan smile. “I dreamed about you.”

“Something good, I hope.” She sounded like the shadows.

“You were knocking at my door,” he said because his heart was full of relief. “I opened it and shouted, ‘Goddamn it, if I wanted visitors I’d post a sign.’ You gave me a right cross that almost broke my jaw. It was love at first sight.”

At that, she turned her head away as if he had hurt her. His smile fell apart. Immediately, his relief became the old familiar ache of loneliness, isolation made more poignant by the fact that she was not afraid of him. “Anyway,” he muttered with a crooked grimace like an apology, “it made sense at the time.”
Sunder returns, saying that he had narrowly missed being spotted by a Rider who was apparently headed for Mithil Stonedown. The trio set out again, knowing that the Rider will soon be after them. We also begin to understand just how difficult travel under the Sunbane will be, as they have only covered six leagues since leaving Mithil Stonedown a few nights earlier.

A fertile sun dawns the next morning. So far we’ve briefly seen a sun of rain, and a desert sun. Sunder is elated with the sunrise, as the fertile sun is the “life of the Land.” Also, a fertile sun will slow the Rider in his pursuit.

Covenant is stunned by the power of the fertile sun. Everywhere the light touches, green plants begin to grow. Covenant’s understanding of Earthpower, and of the Law governing it, is called into question by what he is witnessing. Sunder cannot relate to Covenant and Linden his joy of the fertile sun. Linden especially is horrified at what she is witnessing:
“It’s wrong…..Sick. Evil. It’s not supposed to be like this. It’s killing me.”
To which Sunder replies:
“Because of this, we will have food! The fertile sun gives life to all the Land. In Mithil Stonedown – now, while you stand thus decrying wrong and ill – every man, woman, and child sings. All who have strength are at labor. While the fertile sun holds, they will labor until they fall from weariness. Searching first to discover places where the soil is of a kind to support crops, then striving to clear that ground so seeds may be planted…..And if people from another Stonedown come upon this place, seeking proper soil for themselves, then there will be killing until one Stonedown is left to tend the crops. And the people will sing! The fertile sun is life!…..Speak not to me of wrong!….I cannot bear it.”
Sunder raises another crop of ussusimiel and after eating, the trio leaves the riverbed in search of water. They find a mirkfruit vine, which Sunder cuts with his knife and from which water flows.

They come upon a grove of gilden trees, which Covenant recognizes from his previous times in the Land. The pain that Linden has been experiencing from the Sunbane comes to the surface, as she tells Covenant that the gilden trees are on fire inside. Covenant asks Linden to explain to him why the Sunbane is hurting her so:
“I can’t shut it out.” Hands, arms, shoulders – every part of her was clenched into the rictus of damned and demanding passion. “It’s all happening to me. I can see – feel – the trees. In me. It’s too personal. I can’t take it. It’s killing me.”
Covenant then tells Linden of Foul’s message of doom, received on Kevin’s Watch – to which Linden replies:
“I don’t believe in evil. People aren’t like that. This place is sick. Lord Foul is just something you made up. If you can blame sickness on somebody, instead of accepting it for what it is, then you can avoid being responsible for it. You don’t have to try to end the pain. Even if this is a dream.”
Covenant realizes the Linden’s denial of the Land and her own inner Despiser will make her an easy target for Lord Foul’s manipulations.

CHAPTER NINE

RIVER-RIDE

Covenant, Sunder and Linden continue on their journey to Revelstone. The second day of the fertile sun causes trees to rise to unimaginable heights. On the third day, the group comes upon an area of broken timber that they find difficult to navigate; by sunset they find an area of heather and settle in for the night.

Covenant realizes that Sunder was troubled; upon questioning Sunder tells them that he cannot find any stone, and he fears to suffer Marid’s fate. Covenant tells him that he will carry him at sunrise, and tries to reassure him that no harm will come to him. Although Sunder fears are not laid to rest, at sunrise he climbed onto Covenant’s back, and a sun of rain dawned before them.

Sunder greets the sun of rain with anticipation, for now the travelers will make better speed. He forms a raft out of branches, and when the Mithil reaches sufficient height, the trio dives into the water while holding onto the raft. Covenant momentarily loses hold, but soon joins the others.

The water is very cold, and the weight of the driving rain causes the overgrown trees to fall, but the group manages to survive their first miserable day in the water. At night as they climb onto the banks of the Mithil, they are exhausted and desperate for fire. Covenant is reluctant to let Sunder shed himself for the power to start the fire, so he takes the Sunstone (orcrest) from Sunder. We see again Covenant’s abhorrence of power; with difficulty he brings the sunstone and white gold together and eventually manages to raise fire from the ring.

Linden tells Sunder that she cannot take another day in the river, to which Sunder replies:
“Is there choice?….The ur-Lord aims toward Revelstone. Very well. But the distance is great. Refusing the aid of the River, we must journey afoot. To gain the Keep of the na-Mhoram would require many turnings of the moon. But I fear we would not gain it. The Sunbane is too perilous. And there is the matter of pursuit.”

The set of Linden’s shoulders showed her apprehension. After a moment, she asked tightly, “How much longer?”

The Graveler sighed. “None can foretell the Sunbane,” he said in a dim voice. “It is said that in generations past each new sun shone for five and six, even as many as seven days. But a sun of four days in now uncommon. And with my own eyes I have beheld only one sun of less then three.”

“Two more days,” Linden muttered. “Dear God.”
Linden then asks Covenant why it is so hard to use the white ring, and he tells here it is morally hard for him to use power. Sunder replies:
“There at last, ur-Lord…you have uttered a word which lies within my comprehension. You fear both strength and weakness, both power and lack of power. You fear to be in need – and to have your need answered. As do I. I am a Graveler – well acquainted with such fear. A Stonedown trusts the Graveler for its life. But in the name of that life, that trust, he must shed the blood of his people. Those who trust must be sacrificed to meet that trust. Thus trust becomes a matter of blood and death. Therefore I have fled my home….to serve a man and woman whom I cannot trust. I know not how to trust you, and so I am freed of the burden of trust. There is naught between us which would require me to shed your lives. Or to sacrifice my own.”
This profound explanation of the trust between a Stonedown and its Graveler touches Covenant, and he agrees to let Sunder use his power to benefit them in the future. But Linden can’t let go of Covenant’s reluctance to use the wild magic:
“It isn’t enough,” she said stiffly. “You keep saying you want to fight the Sunbane, but you can hardly light a fire. You might as well be afraid of rubbing sticks together. I need a better answer than that.”
The group continues downriver through the second day of rain, and then the third. The next morning finds our first encounter with the sun of pestilence. Sunder says that they are fortunate that the sun of pestilence follows a sun of rain and not a desert or fertile sun. Covenant asks what harm this sun brings, to which Sunder replies:
“ What harm does it not? It is the dread and torment of the Land. Still water becomes stagnant. Growing things rot and crumble. All who eat or drink of that which has not been shaded are afflicted with a disease which few survive and none cure. And the insects-“

“He’s right,” Linden whispered with her mouth full of dismay. “Oh my God.”

“It is the Mithil River which makes us fortunate, for it will not stagnate. Until another desert sun, it will continue to flow from its springs, and from the rain. And it will ward us in other ways also….Yet I cannot behold such a sun without faintheartedness. My people hide in their homes at such a time and pray for a sun of two days. I ache to be hidden also. I am homeless and small against the wideness of the world, and in all the Land I fear a sun of pestilence more than any other thing.”
I always feel so sorry for Sunder here, especially where he says “I am homeless and small against the wideness of the world, and in all the Land I fear a sun of pestilence more than any other thing.” How poignant.

Covenant attempts to encourage Sunder:
“You’re also the only reason we’re still alive.”

“Yes,” the Graveler responded as if he were listening to his own thoughts rather than to Covenant.

“Yes!” Covenant snapped. “And someday every Stonedown is going to know that this Sunbane is not the only way to live. When that day comes, you’re going to be just about the only person in the Land who can teach them anything.”

Sunder was silent for a time. Then he asked distantly, “What will I teach them?”

“To remake the Land…..It used to be a place of such health and loveliness – if you saw it, it would break your heart…..That can be true again.”

Linden covered her gaze; but Sunder turned and met Covenant’s ire. “Your words have no meaning. No man or woman can remake the Land. It is in the hands of the Sunbane, for good or ill. Yet this I say to you – make the attempt. I can no longer bear to believe that Nassic my father was a mere witless fool.”

“I hear you,” Covenant muttered. He felt an unexpected desire for violence. “I hear you.”
Linden reminds them that they need to be on their way, and they set out into the current once again. The warmer sun heats the river, and their time in the water becomes more bearable. The come to an area of convergence, which Covenant realizes must be the Black River merging with the Mithil on its way to Mt. Thunder. Sunder wants to leave the water at this point, and they are no longer traveling in a northern direction, but Covenant decides to stay in the river, because he knows that they are headed toward Andelain. He desperately needs to see if the heart and soul of the Land still flourishes.

While Covenant dwells on his memories of Andelain, Linden becomes very anxious about her surroundings:
"Sunder showed no specific anxiety. But Linden’s agitation mounted. She seemed inexplicably cold; her teeth chattered until she locked her jaws to stop them. She searched the sky and the riverbanks apprehensively, looking-

The air became harder to breathe, humid and dangerous.

Covenant was momentarily deaf to the swelling hum. But then he heard it – a raw thick growling like the anger of bees.

Bees!

The noise augered through him. He gaped in dumb horror as a swarm dense enough to obscure the sun rose abruptly out of the brush along the River and came snarling toward the raft.

“Heaven and Earth!” Sunder gasped.

Linden thrashed the water, clutched at Covenant. “Raver!” Her voice scaled into a shriek. “Oh, my God!”
( I appreciate the opportunity to participate! Thanks, Don.)
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Great lead-in dlbpharmd :) :)

As I read these chapters I was struck by how much Covenant's and Linden's perceptions of the Land were so different. Covenant, remembering how beautiful it used to be and devastated by what happened to it wanted nothing more then to restore that beauty. Linden, on the other hand, couldn't cope with it.."It's killing me". She never knew it for it's beauty and power, all she sees is its sickness, feels it in every nerve of her body. How awful that must have been for her, to be emmersed into disease, she must have felt as tho she were drowning.

Sigh, I best be off, want to comment more but just don't have the time. I wanted to definitely give you my kudos tho for a great lead-in dlbpharmd :) :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
srtrout
Woodhelvennin

Post by srtrout »

SRD weaves so many different themes into this work; I've previously written here on the religious themes but I also sense a deeply imbedded theme of ecology in this book , well exemplified in this chapter.

Isn't there a comparison between what the Sunbane does to the land and what humans have done to the Earth? The only difference is that we haven't had purposeful and controlled changes to the weather, although we are certainly affecting it with global warming.

I too was struck with the differences in Covenant's and Linden's sense of the land. He is enjoying the nostalgia of returning to the people and land that he loved; she , with her Health sense, is overcome by the sense of evil and destruction of the environment. One would wonder how someone from 200 years ago would react if they returned to Manhattan, or even to Iowa, to see how the land has changed . (Reference James Taylor's song
"Frozen Man" where a man awakens after over a 100 years; in Covenant's case it's thousands of years).

The main difference in the approach to ecology in both of these trilogies , as opposed to our current world, is that the ecology of the Land is intact as long as evil doesn't enter in . What little is described of the Land's "spritual gatherings" has more attention to ecological type considerations , the land, power, etc, than to God. In our world, ecology seems to be threatened by man's activity, that although perhaps misguided, is not inherently evil.

Another consideration is the fascinating way that the people of the second Chronicles interact with the evil of the Sunbane to accomplish good ends. They use evil, shedding of blood, etc, to provide good things like food and water. Even some of the members of the Clave seem to be less than truly evil, although in the hand, all those who serve the Sunbane enable the evil it is accomplishing.[/b]
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

For me these chapters seems like an unending catalogue of woes. And this is probably one of the messages that SRD is trying to get across. We are told, in no uncertain terms by Sunder, what has happened and what is happening in the Land. For those of us who have read the first books this puts us in a situation where we get the same perspective as TC. As a matter of fact we understand him better than all those he meets in the books at this point. :)
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

dlbpharmd, I'm sorry a haven't congratulated you earlier for this stunning job. This is the part of the Second Chronicles that began making me seriously depressed and physically ill the last time I read it. So I try to, kinda, avoid this part or take it in bits and pieces. Actually I'm much better this time around when I can just read it whenever I want as opposed to: I must finish the whole book and TWL must b my sole focus. As Ryzel says this is where all the horrors of the "new" Land begin to pour down.

Between the venom and the blood the horrid Sunbane and the
Spoiler
at first look
Nazgul-like riders on twisted Coursers (thinking OMG is THIS what become of the Ranyhyn? 8O) I literally thought the Land had contracted leprosy from TC. I've never believed in evil-but here SRD was clearly beginning to change my mind. I just bought a newer copy of TWL and, so far, haven't hurled it at the wall or stomped on it. So here's hoping! 8) (sunbane goggles)
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

These are hard chapters to swallow but they're good introductions to the other horrors Foul has cooked up for TC as he struggles to Revelstone.
Thankfully he gives us a brief (but sad) rest in
Spoiler
Andelain
in later chapters before continuing on.

Great dissection dlbpharmd.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

Yes, I'm also sorry not being able to take part regarding your post earlier, Real-Life you know...but...

It's a great dissection dlbpharmd! You have it all there... :D

Up until now the Journey has been an abyss of horrors and truly it has been a dark read. In these two chapters we finally realize the horrors of the Sunbane: the Desert sun, the Sun of Rain, the Fertile Sun, the Sun of Pestilence...As mentioned earlier by Joy and F&F, what a great concept this is, this idea of SRD, the Sunbane, soo imaginative. Nowhere equalled in the history of fantasy...

I wonder, Diassomer Mininderain (what a great name!), did she exist as a-Jeroth's wife? And a-Jeroth is Lord Foul(right?) The song is a lie as we all know, a corrupted version of the Land's creation myth, but is there truth in this matter about a-Jeroth having a wife, Lord Foul having a wife! I guess we will never know...but interesting.

srtrout wrote:
Another consideration is the fascinating way that the people of the second Chronocles interact with the evil of the Sunbane to accomplish good ends. They use evil, shedding of blood, etc, to provide good things like food and water
Yes, it's fascinating. One thing with the first chrons and it's people was that you make do with what you have, it permeates the whole first trilogy, you just continue fighting regardless. With this I mean for example that the lomilliaor rod that was supposed to be used as a communication-device between Hile Troy and his forces, it's purpose misunderstood by all exept HT, was used anyway, in another way. Lord Mhoram's understanding of the Ritual of desecration. What if he had come to an understanding earlier, how much difference it had made. What if the Unfettered one had been able to send his message from the cave to Revelstone with the lommiliaor instead of being killed by a raver. A lot of these occurences, but the people of the Land just fought on.

It is dark but I love the glimpses of affection TC is starting to feel for LA. He is beginning to feel the Land through her.
Her revulsion was all the answer Covenant needed. It struck him like an instant of shared vision, momentarily gifting or blighting his senses with the acuity they lacked. Suddenly, the long grass and the curling vines, the thick bushes, the saplings no longer seemed lush to him. Instead, they looked frenetic, hysterical. They did not spring with spontaneous luxuriance out of the soil; they were forced to grow by the unnatural scourge of the sun.
And again dlbpharmd, great job! :D
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Great lead in, dlbpharmd!

These first instances of the Earthpower gone wrong are sickening to us, the readers.

And Sunder! I wonder at what this man would be had he been born 3000 years earlier.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Sunder is an incredibly strong character, and incredibly strong man. Dromond, I do not think he would have been the least on the Council by any means, had he ever decided to attend the Loresaat and try to become a Lord...
And that myth about Lord Foul and the Creator's wife...is it possible that this is instead a corruption of the story of Berek and his Queen? Something made up to diminish the legend of their love?

Chapter 8, the Corruption of the Sun...

Linden trying to treat TC and his poisoned wound:
A third time she sucked, spat. Her features strained whitely, like clenched knuckles. With unintended brutality, she dropped his arm; a blaze shot up through his shoulder. Springing to her feet, she stamped on the spat blood, ground it into the dirt as if it were an outrage she wanted to eradicate from the world.
...interesting that TC's blood itself is attacked in this manner, given the importance of blood as a material of power in the Second Chrons...

Sunder, after singign the song of Foul and the Creator's faithless wife:
The Graveler sighed. "Her children are the inhabitants of the Earth. It is said that elsewhere in the Earth - across the seas, beyond the mountians - live beings who have kept faith. But the Land is the home of the faithless, and on the descendants of betryal the Sunbane wreaks the Master's wrath.
Spoiler
Here is our first clue that the Sunbane is only in the Land, at least for now, and that other races still live without its Corruption, as we will find in TOT.
We get to see the twisted reality the Clave teaches in this song. That the people of the Land deserve the lives they lead, that they deserve the horrors of the Sunbane. :(
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

chapter 9, River Ride

In chapter 9 we experience traveling under the horrors of the Sunbane...
The second day of the fertile sun raised the banyans to heights far beyond anything Covenant would have believed possible. Huge avenues and galleries lay between the trunks; the prodigious intergrown branches arched and stretched like the high groined ceiling and towering pillars of a place of reverance in Revelstone - or like the grand cavern of Earthroot under Melenkurion Skyweir. But the effect was ominous rather than grand. Every bough and trunk seemed to be suffering under its own weight.
Spoiler
This is clearly a breaking/twisting of the Law...which goes along with the mention of Earthroot, where Elena did so much harm to the Land when she broke the Law of Death -- and is a clear foreshadowing of what TC will find at his beloved Revelstone...a place of beauty which has been perverted...broken...
The rain sounded like a great beast thrashing in the bush. The water began to run more rapidly. Moiling like a current of snakes, the stream slipped between the trees, rushed slapping and gurgling through the shrubs.
snakes...a great beast...unnatural...like Marid and his venom...
Spoiler
the Sunbane is like a Raver set loose upon the Land...
The next day surpassed Covenant's worst expectations. As clouds sealed the Plains, the wind mounted to rabid proportions, whipping the River into froth and flailing rain like the barbs of a scourge.
barbs...another analogy to poison...
Covenant searched his memory. "Must have been the Black River." From Garrotting Deep. And from Melenkurien Skyweir, where Elena had broken the Law of Death to summon Kevin Landwaster from his grave, and had died herself as a result. Covenant flinched at the recollection, and at the thought that perhaps none of the Lnd's ancient forests had survivied the Sunbane.
Spoiler
Nice bits of foreshadowing here...as we will soon encounter the dead and the last of the Forestals...and another reminder of broken laws...
Love as thou wilt.

Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

In chapter 8, this line I always liked...
"This is ussusimiel" he said in a fragile tone, as if he were exhausted and feared contradiction.
Because Sunder's truths are on such shakey ground now, he questions every truth he has known.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Dawngreeter wrote:In chapter 8, this line I always liked...
"This is ussusimiel" he said in a fragile tone, as if he were exhausted and feared contradiction.
Because Sunder's truths are on such shakey ground now, he questions every truth he has known.
Yeah. SRD does a very good job portraying Sunder as a man whose world, as he knows it, is being transformed by Covenant's presence.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The early parts of this book are incredible in that sense. Everything we know about the Land is rendered invalid in one stroke. Sunder's whole world, his whole belief system and value system have come crashing down around him, and all because of Covenant.

As I've said before, this was the most powerful book of the Chrons as a whole for me.

--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

[quote="Avatar"
As I've said before, this was the most powerful book of the Chrons as a whole for me.

--A[/quote]

Agreed.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

In fact, I meant to add to the above post that Sunder must be pretty tough to withstand all that and remain functional.

I've seen something similar on a small and personal scale happen to somebody, and the results were not good in terms with coping with it.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Sunder's willingness to adapt to the new truths he learns about the Sunbane from TC and La in these chapters make him a truly extraordinary character. I doubt I'd adapt nearly so well to my understanding of the world being so completely inverted!

Return to “2nd Chronicles”