Nethack

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Nethack

Post by Lord Zombiac »

This game has no online interaction, almost no graphics, yet has managed to captivate me since 1985 when it was simply known as "hack."
After all those years, I'm still finding new things to do in the game.
I have never "ascended." I managed to defeat the Wizard of Yendor and escape the dungeon with the amulet when it was "hack," but the furthest I have ever gone in Nethack was the elemental plane of air, where I could do nothing but be blown around in the wind, helpless.
The original game uses ASCII characters for graphics, and it is still sold that way, but you can also install a simple tileset for a more graphic game.
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I've logged a few hours sitting next to people playing nethack. =) Not watching it so much as working on something else on the computer.

Haven't played it myself. Text-based games can be awesomely captivating, though!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Return to “PC & Console Games”