Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 2: The Ball

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 2: The Ball

Post by Goatkiller666 »

The night of the ball has arrived. All the invited lords and ladies have confirmed their intent to arrive, and it'll be quite the lavish event, especially on such short notice.

It's being held at Isabelle's houses in town, including a large dancing room and several smaller rooms for quiet conversations. Her gardens have been freshly prepared, though this early in the year, most of the plants still look to think it's the winter.

Isabelle and Ulricht, with Hannalore are waiting anxiously in the main alcove. The event doesn't start for another half hour yet, but they've done all they can do, and so they wait. Isabelle is pacing quietly, still looking exquisite in her formal gown. Ulricht's suit matches hers exactly, though he manages to maintain his calm better, and is lounging in a chair. Hannalore is picking up on Isabelle's nervousness, but doesn't want to muss her perfectly arranged hair or gown. She is standing very still, watching Isabelle flow back and forth across the room. Even in her uncalm state, he exudes a sense of happiness, tinged with fear, at the prospect of being presented to the city tonight.
Last edited by Goatkiller666 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

Post by Casper von Hausberg »

Casper walks up to the alcove by himself, wearing the same midnight blue outfit he had chosen the previous night. Pleasantly excited at the prospect of Hannelore's debut and the chance for the Toreador to outshine the Ventrue, he treads over to where the other three are standing. "Milady, I have known you for over half of a century and yet you continue to surprise me. I wouldn't have thought anyone capable of such a feat, and yet here you are. I am truly humbled." He grins as he speaks to Isabelle before putting a hand on Hannelore's shoulder. "And you too, Hannelore. Ah, I recall well the first time I was entranced by the power of your artwork, and now, I feel the same feeling is coming over me upon viewing you tonight."
Casper von Hausberg, Childe of Isabelle
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

At Casper's presence, Hannalore's face instantly brightens. At hearing his praises, Isabelle instantly assumes the role of the delighted host. All her pacing stops, and she is a creature of grace and charm. Over her shoulder, Ulricht mouths "Thank you" to Casper, "she needed someone to fawn over." He made no noise at all, just moved his lips, but Isabelle's hand suddenly snapped out and tweaked his nose.

"I can hear you, swine!" she smirks to Ulricht.

Good naturedly, her consort feigns injury, and speaks with a very nasal voice, as if his nose has been broken, "Oh, my dear, you wound me. Both physically and spiritually. I said nothing at all."

She ignores him, and breaks the embrace with Casper to look him in the eye. "My childe, this must go over without a hitch. And I have a very important part for you to play. I have, of course, invited the Prince and the other noble kindred to my ball. However, it is possible that others of... less than noble standing, may also attempt to gain entry. We cannot have a scene tonight, and I will not permit one. You must stay weary. You have met all of Vienna's court now. If any arrive who lack the manners needed fur such a high event, you must ask them to leave."

She hisses, "But do it quietly. I will not have a disturbance, tonight!"
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

Jokingly, Casper replies. "Aye, I will ward the ball so the rest of you may enjoy yourselves." With a more serious look on his face, he continues, "I am sure that this will be a great success. Good luck, all of you." He begins the descent from the alcove, before mouthing over his shoulder, "Especially you, Ulricht." With a grin towards Isabelle, he hurries down the stairs, preparing himself.
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Soon, the guests begin to arrive. With all the pomp and circumstance they can muster, the mortal nobility of Vienna grace Isabelle with their presence. And, as their host, it is her most humble pleasure to welcome them to her little soiree, with Ulricht by her side. Each one is introduced to Hannalore, whom they are told is quite the talented singer and musician. They frequently say "We are told to expect great things from you, my dear.", and Casper's dear girl soon is forcing herself to hold back laughter every time she hears the same phrase from a new mouth. Her mirth shows itself as radiant glory, a much more becoming state than her previous nerves. And as a result, many of the nobles seem genuinely taken with her.

Isabelle invited all of the city's Ventrue, for it would not do to insult them. But only the lower members of that clan attend: Fritz von Kaufstein and Maria von Teuffenbach arrive together, smiling brightly. They first present themselves to Isabelle, and then seek out Casper.
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

"Lord von Kaufstein, my friend!" Casper smiles politely and acknowledges Fritz with a nod. He turns to face Maria, and bends down to kiss her hand. "And the beautiful Lady von Teuffenbach. It is very generous of you both to visit the public debut of my dear Hannelore and my own abilities. Is there something I can do for you both, or do you simply seek conversation?" He smiled, knowing that with their clan, it was always politics.
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Fritz pauses, clearly waiting for Maria to speak first. With a very quick smirk, she lets the pause grow before speaking. "Oh Casper my dear, the Lady Isabelle throws the best balls. One simply can't maintain one's place in society and miss one of these do's. And after all, one must maintain appearances amongst the mortals, if one is to rule over them, mustn't one?"

Once he's sure Maria has finished, Fritz adds, "No, Lord Hausberg, we have no particular need to be here, other than to be polite. Though, I find it tedious to pretend that my dinner is actually my peers, so if you don't mind I'll stay near you for the evening. Conversation is much preferable with those to whom I can really relate."
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

Pah, the folly of the Ventrue was their arrogance with regards to humans. Still, happy for the company, he claps his hand on Fritz' back. "Well then, I would be pleased if you joined me for the evenings' affairs."

"As to Lady Maria's comment, I do agree completely. We must not only blend in, but set the standard, for our mortal counterparts."
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Maria clasps Casper's hand, almost excited to share something. "Have you heard the news this evening? Of what happened during the day in the city?"

She pauses only long enough to draw breath, "An army of Hungarians were killed at the gates today, trying to attack the city. I hear that the guards on the walls nearly failed to stop them, but the silver arrows made all the difference. As soon as the first were touched with silver, and started to burn from just a touch, the others began changing into monsterous forms and rushed in. One managed to climb the wall all the way to the parapet before he was shot through the heart. Over a hundred lupines were destroyed, with no losses to our guards! Isn't it wonderful?"

Fritz looks a bit dubious, but says nothing himself.
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

While he notes the look on Fritz' face, Casper decides that appeasing Maria would probably be the best route. "Over a hundred lupines?" He fakes an incredulous look, and fills his voice with enthusiasm. Deep down inside he gets worried that the meticulous planning the Toreador had put into the ball might end up having no effect. "Well, that is certainly an impressive feat. Whose idea was it for those arrows?

Pausing for a moment, he exchanges a glance with Fritz, conveying his discomfort. He attempts to make this glance subtle enough so that Maria will not know.
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Maria deflates, and is almost pouting when she mutters, "I think it was that commoner Ivan who owns the city guard."

Over Maria's head, Fritz notices Casper's glance and shakes his head, as if to say Maria were wrong somehow.

Not to allow her attention to wane, Maria again changes subjects. "So, this artist that Isabelle is gifting to the world. She is your creature?"
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

"Hannelore?" A slight smile creeps up his face as he begins to talk about her. "Yes, that beautiful young girl belongs to me. She is quite the musician, quite a perfect girl."
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Oh, how very scandalous! Do you plan on embracing her? An unmarried woman as the bound ghoul of a bachelor lord like yourself, it must be true love. Your clan lives and breathes love stories like this. And though it will be centuries before your sire and her Highness the Prince grant you permission to embrace one of your own, the two of you will have each other through the bars of your ghouldom."

Fritz interjects at this point, "Please excuse her my friend. Maria has a habit of becoming far too familiar with people she hardly knows. She means no disrespect by it, I assure you. In fact, it's actually a sign of her respect, though that hardly excuses the behavior."

Maria glares at him, then says to Casper, "Will she be playing for us tonight, my Lord Hausberg? Please say she will. I simply must hear this for myself. My Lord." The formalities tacked on the end are intentionally made offhand, just to annoy Fritz.
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

Whatever may transpire between my Hannelore and I shall stay between us until the time is right." Casper had spent many a night running errands for Isabelle thinking about this. When Fritz interjects, Casper nods his head. "Then I thank Maria for her concern, and tell you, my friend, not to worry so much about her offending me."

With a glance up to the alcove where she is standing, he tilts his head and answers the third statement. "Yes, Lady von Teuffenbach. Hannelore shall be playing tonight, and accompanying her harp with her singing."
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

As the music begins for the first dance of the evening, Isabelle takes the floor with the current Duke's heir, a young bachelor fresh on the city's social scene. At the same moment, Ulricht appears before Casper, Fritz, and Maria. He tips his brow to the men, but bows low and gracious to Maria. "Lady von Teuffenbach, I swear on my ring that I will be forced to fall on my own sword if you do not grant me the honor of the first dance of the evening. Every man in this room will be glaring at my in jealousy 'ere this song is finished."

Maria curtseys in return, and says "My Lord Ulricht, I could not bear to see you dead so young. Therefore, I must concede you this dance under protest." Her smile belies the protest, however. Ulricht leads Maria onto the floor, and the pair manage to both dance superbly, and dance slightly less well than Isabelle and the Duke's son. Ulricht's skill must be amazing that he can do so without Maria noticing.

As soon as Maria is gone, Fritz' gestures Casper away from the throngs. "My Lord, you must thank Lord Ulricht for me. I never would have been able to get away from Maria on my own. We must speak, and do so quickly before we can be overheard."

When they get to a slightly more private area, their voices protected by the sounds of all the others more than distance from them, Fritz leans in close to whisper. [See PM.]
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

The song winds down, and Casper applauds along with Fritz. He nods as if deep in thought, and moves over closer to where Hannelore is standing (not sure if she is playing right now or not, if she is then just have him stand to the side), leaving Fritz where he was. "Until next time, my friend."
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[There is a small musical ensemble, who is handling the dance music. To get people warmed up, so to speak. Hannalore's singing won't be until later in the evening. She's the main event. She is currently up on the balcony, peeking down on the event from behind a curtain, so her big entrance can be a surprise for the audience.]

Isabelle and Ulricht bow to their partners, and then pair off with each other for the next dance. The Duke's heir is immediately surrounded by eligible daughters of the nobility, and Maria returns to Fritz and Casper. She encounters Casper first, and holds out her hand, as if expecting an invitation.

Casper notices Fritz leaving hurriedly through a side door towards the kitchens.
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

Pretending to take no notice of Fritz, Casper extends a gracious smile to Maria, and holds out his hand with a flourish. "Milady, I would be thrilled to no end if you took granted me the pleasure of your company for this next dance."
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Maria bestows a smile upon Casper suggesting that, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, she wasn't expecting an invitation to dance, but that she finds the idea extremely pleasing, perhaps because of its unexpected nature.

As they start the measured steps, she shares in hushed tones: "My servants also tell me that there have been other lupine sightings these last few days. It seems that they destroyed a convent two days ride from here. Raped and killed them all. I even heard they might not have done it in that order, though I'm sure I would have no way to tell the difference. Anyway, you know how stories grow over time. I'm sure it was nothing of the sort."

"Still, do you think it was the same ones we defeated at the gates today? I'd wager they got overconfident in slaughtering helpless women of God, but were brought up short by the City's determination."
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

A tad suspicious of Maria but generally pleased to play his favorite role as a courtier, Casper bows to her and begins to dance.

"I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of both war and the lupines is lacking. But between you and I, milady, I think it may be best to consider that perhaps the ones at the gate were only a distraction for our forces within the city. That way, while we were defending ourselves, they would be free to commit their crimes against the innocent servants of God."

Recognizing that their may be a flaw in that logic, he added, "Or perhaps the reverse is true."
Clan Toreador

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”