Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 2: The Ball

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Oh, a ploy you think? Then what is their real goal? Oh dear, it had never really occurred to me that lupines were rational enough to even have plans. But, they're still mortal. Their oldest would still only be 60 or 70 years. They could not have too very much skill in devious plans. Not when going up against elder Cainites."

She giggles. "It must be so frustrating for them, really. Spending their whole lives... generations, really... trying to destroy civilization. And always defeated by the same one who defeated all of their ancestors."

As the next song winds down, all attention is drawn to Isabelle, standing by the closed curtains which hide an alcove. (Casper is used to this effect of Isabelle's, just a brief flash of Presence to tickle those in the room and cause them to glance her direction.) With her eyes, she indicates that Casper should come over towards her. Conversation stops as the hostess begins speaking.

"Lords and Ladies, I have been awaiting this moment for well over a year now, when I might be able to present my newest find to all of you. I have had to groom her for this moment, to bring her talents into full bloom. But I am sure that you will all be well pleased with the results."

As Casper moves closer [I just assume he does.], "We must all make certain to express my dear friend, the Lord Hausberg, for bringing this lovely creature to my attention. It is for that reason that I will allow him the honor of introducing you all to his find." She steps aside and allows Casper to take the floor. He notices a small gap in the curtains, hidden by Isabelle's form, where he imagines that Hannalore's delicate eye is peeking out at him.
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

Post by Casper von Hausberg »

Casper bows toward Isabelle. "I thank the Lady Isabelle for her kind words. My lords and ladies, it is with much pleasure that I discovered this girl and her beautiful talents, and with even greater pleasure that I brought her to the attention of my friend Isabelle, a fellow patron of the arts and music like I aim to be.

The greatest joy, however, will come tonight, when all you good people shall receive the chance to hear the fruit of the combined labor of myself, Isabelle, and of course, dear Hannelore. Shall we begin, then?"

With a flourish, he gestured towards the balcony, where Hannelore emerged. He strolled over to where she was standing, bowed, and presenting his hand to her, so he could lead her like a gentleman to the center of the floor.
Casper von Hausberg, Childe of Isabelle
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Hannalore steps forward as the curtains are drawn aside for her. She curtseys deeply to the crowd, and then again to Isabelle, before she takes Casper's hand. Any signs of her nervousness are gone, now that she's walking in among the crowd, on her Lord's hand. She's radiant, soaking up the crowd's appreciation and basking in it.

Casper leads her deeper into the room, and all those present begin to crowd closer to greet her individually. The Duke's heir steps forward first. He bows over her hand and then kisses it formally, a great honor for a commoner. "My dear, I am filled with anticipation for your performance."

Hannalore blushes at this praise, but maintains her composure. "His Highness honors me greatly. And while I have already promised that my first song will be dedicated to the Lady Isabelle, my second will be in honor of your Highness."

The prince moves on, approaching a group of young nobles near his age. Others pass through to greet Hannalore, singing her praises and wishing her well. And soon, Maria is also standing before them. "I'm told to expect great things from you, Hannalore." She turns to Casper, "You have found a rare gem, I'm sure. And I am most glad that you have chosen to share her with the city. I'm sure she will prove most... delectable to all of our tastes." [Maria is starting to exude a mild sense of menace as she says this. She looks hungrily towards Hannalore.] Then she moves on, allowing others their time.

[Go ahead and ad-lib the rest of the evening, and the performances. I have nothing else specifically in mind, though... of course... depending on what you put in, NPCs may react based on super-secret stuff I know and you don't.]
Casper von Hausberg
Stonedownor

Post by Casper von Hausberg »

The radiance of the whole performance captivates Casper. The first song, a slow, mournful tune wins over the audience, before Hannelore moves on to happier songs of a more romantic nature.

Careful to watch over her, he refuses to dance for the first several songs. Finally, Isabelle's demeanor asks that he relax. Smiling slightly, he notes the continued absence of Fritz, while dancing with various partners. Eventually, he makes his way over to the Duke's heir. "Wonderful playing, is it not? Surely, Hannelore alone makes it worthwhile for your city to be defended, no?" The noblemen replies and they segue into small talk for the rest of the evening.
Casper von Hausberg, Childe of Isabelle
Clan Toreador
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[Originally, I was going to wrap up this thread like I did the others. But, it seems to me that with the ball going on well into the night, news of the attack on the East Gate might get there.]

As things begin to wind down, a servant to the Duke's heir enters and delivers a message to his master. The Heir, still conversing with Casper, stops to read the sealed letter. His face grows more stern as he does.

"We must speak with the Lady Isabelle, I believe." She is visible across the room, in conversation with Ulricht and Maria. He walks over, assuming that Casper is in his wake, and interrupts them. "My Lady. There is news at the walls. I thought you should know first, as the host." He hands the opened letter to Isabelle, who skims it.

At first she frowns as the Heir did, but then the frown passes. She raises her voice, and activates Majesty. "Ladies and Gentlemen. You might have heard me speaking to you privately about the dangers our city faces from without. Well, as we were here enjoying Hannalore's lovely performance, the Duke's guards who keep us all safe were valiantly fighting off another round of attackers. As before, they were successful in our defense. But this just goes to show how important it is for all of us to gather our forces and join together in defense of our great City."

"Please, go back to your homes. Do what you can, all that you can, to help defend what is ours. Your home requires soldiers, and silver, and most of all... leaders. Noble knights and great lords such as yourselves; steadfast men on whom we all my rest our trust."

And with that, with Majesty active, the crowd quickly dispersed. Even some of the servants left, the clean-up of the party unfinished, to go help the war effort somehow.

[Okay, NOW I have nothing more for the thread this evening. If there's anything else you want to do before sunrise, feel free to let me know. Otherwise, we'll pick up again at nightfall in your haven.]

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”