I really miss Mhoram

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

mcnpauls
Stonedownor

I really miss Mhoram

Post by mcnpauls »

The mention of Lord Mhoram attending the conclave of the great dead figures that Covenant recalls in the last chapter of AATE made me realise how much I miss this character.

Of all the people TC encounters in the Chronicles, I find Mhoram the most impressive of all, not only is he immensely wise and brave, but he is also humane, sensitive and with a sense of humour.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

Realted question from the GI:
Paul Meier: Hi Mr. Donaldson.
You, by far, are my favorite author. Thank you for your writings; you have been truly blessed with enormous talent. Now my question. In the first chapter of AATE. You bring to Andelain the four ancient high lords plus Elana. Did you purposely leave out the others like Prothall and Mhoram because they were not "needed" in your story line at that particular time? I guess I really like the character of Mhoram as well as his relationship with TC. 2nd Question: Will chapter 2 be released so we can read it too????

By now, it’s obvious that chapter 2 will *not* be posted on my site. So this seems like a good time to reiterate that I’m never less than two months behind on the Gradual Interview. A question asked in, say, September doesn’t usually reach me until November at the earliest. On the one hand, this is less than ideal. On the other, the lag has been much longer at various times in recent years.

You could say that I left Lords like Prothall and Mhoram out because I didn’t need them. But from my perspective, it would be more accurate to say that I left them out because they didn’t *fit*. I love them both, especially Mhoram. But the issue is one of *stature* in The Grand Scheme Of Things. Turn by turn, Berek, Damelon, Loric, and Kevin *shaped* the world of my story. (For their part, Elena and Caer-Caveral *shaped* the conditions for Covenant’s return.) Prothall and Mhoram (merely) defended it.

Does this count as a spoiler? I’m not sure.

(11/09/2010)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
mcnpauls
Stonedownor

Post by mcnpauls »

I still think his return would be most welcome: Linden and TC could do with his wisdom and kindness, and Jeremiah, in particular, could do with a sort of surrogate grandfather good enough to heal the abuse he's put up with throughout his life.

Although SRD is the creator of the Chronicles universe, dare I suggest he is wrong about the stature of Mhoram? Mhoram strikes me as braver, wiser and more resourceful than any of the other previous High Lords.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I loved him to death...yet I don't think he'd work. I think what made him what he was [besides being brave, wise, etc.] is that, in many ways, he grew as WE, the readers, grew...only better.
I don't see a good way to include him without diminishing him.
And I think, in the relationship of us/story/characters, it's important to distinguish between "stature" and "importance."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I just bumped my ooooold Mhoram thread in the First & Second Chrons forum. :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

By the way at firs I only saw the "miss Mhoram" part of the topic title, and for a minute I wondered whether Mhoram ever had a sister or daughter? :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

amanibhavam wrote:By the way at firs I only saw the "miss Mhoram" part of the topic title, and for a minute I wondered whether Mhoram ever had a sister or daughter? :)
As far as Donaldson has ever written, no. Mhoram was the only child of two lords, Variol and Tamarantha. He was raised pursuing Kevin's Lore. He pretty much stated he had no other family while talking to Covenant in the Illearth War.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I really wanted to see a an Old Lord interacting with one of the New Lords through time travel. I think it would have been awesome to discover that the New were more interesting, more heroic.....
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Against All Things Ending”