The Dictionary of the Khazars

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

We should do a group read!
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

have not found it at my library or half price books. :(
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

balon! wrote:We should do a group read!
How much would I love that - but the structure of the book would make it difficult to achieve in that by it's very nature each person will take their own path through the book, the one that suits (and interests) them most. The dictionary is a book you 'wander' in more than read.

(By the way Aliantha - no probs, whenever you get round to it. When I get my Kindle yours will be the first download on to it I promise! You will be my 'holiday read' in Istanbul when I go there in October. As an aside I posted this same message to you yesterday on this forum but it seems to have vanished into the aether. Maybe I hit a wrong key or something. Oh well - hardly one of the universes great unsolved mysteries but... :lol: )
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

sgt.null wrote:have not found it at my library or half price books. :(
I'm having the same problem. :?
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

<ali attempts to wrap her head around the concept of someone reading her book in Istanbul :crazy: :faint: >

Damn thing's gonna be better traveled than I am....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Auleliel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Auleliel »

aliantha wrote:<ali attempts to wrap her head around the concept of someone reading her book in Istanbul :crazy: :faint: >

Would you like me to read it again, now that I'm in Korea? ;)
"Persevera, per severa, per se vera." Persist through difficulties, even though it is hard.
Proud Member of THOOOTP.
Buy my best friend's fantastic fantasy book! Pulse is also available here.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

aliantha wrote:<ali attempts to wrap her head around the concept of someone reading her book in Istanbul :crazy: :faint: >

Constantinople
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Auleliel wrote:

Would you like me to read it again, now that I'm in Korea? ;)
I'll leave it up to you. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

sgt.null wrote:

Constantinople
?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

peter wrote:
sgt.null wrote:

Constantinople
?
I think he's referring to Istanbul's original name. But it's kind of hard to tell. (*Is* Istanbul the same as Constantinople? I could google it, but it's Friday afternoon and I'm feeling kinda lazy... ;) )

EZ Board Survivor

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Nueva Roma Constantinopolitan. ;) Istanbul is the current name of the same city, yes.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes - Istanbul is definitely the modern name for Constantinople. I think the new name was given by the moors(?) when the conquered the Christians at the end of the Byzantine empire and the begining of the Ottoman, around 1500ish.
What I wondered was why Sgt. Null exhibited his (perfectly fair) preference for the old name of Constantinople.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

peter wrote:What I wondered was why Sgt. Null exhibited his (perfectly fair) preference for the old name of Constantinople.
this reason...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4phHwSSing
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:lol:

I miss so much by never turning on the tube...

EZ Board Survivor

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: Nice one Sgt. Null - I'll buy that. Constantinople it is!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

duh, Wiining! :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

peter wrote:I have now finished my 5th or so reading of the book. This time I was much more methodical in my approach than on previous occasions and I believe I am getting pretty close to getting it sorted out. There remain for me a few unresolved issues - and I am by no means sure that my interpretation is the correct one....However..... the pieces do seem to fit together and make at least some sense using it and in the absence of a better explanation I think I have done the best of which I am capable. Can't wait to 'compare notes' with anyone else who has the audacity to attempt to unravel this enigma!
Finished the book tonight, and yeah, I'm pretty much at sea. :lol: I would love to hear your hypothesis.

Should we move this to the general fiction forum?

EZ Board Survivor

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

If you think that would be a more appropriate place Aliantha, by all means. When I posted the thread I hadn't really got the hang of the different forums available (still haven't really) so this is entierly at your discretion. Can I ask first, how did you tackle the book and did you enjoy that kind of 'meta-fiction' experience?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

peter wrote:Can I ask first, how did you tackle the book and did you enjoy that kind of 'meta-fiction' experience?
To answer your second question, it kind of bothered me. I'm the type of person who likes to lose herself in the fictional world the author has created, which is hard to with a book that's a collection of snippets. :lol: I don't mind jumping all over the place on the intarwebz, but I guess I'm too old to do the same thing in print. :lol:

As to your first question, I read the intro stuff first; then the Princess Ateh entries; then the entries about the Khazars and the Khazar Polemic, and any other topics that had entries in all three books (I think those are the only three, though); and then I went back and read the remainder of the entries in order. And then I hunted up the "male" paragraph on the web and read that. How have you been reading it? You said you've read the book more than once, so I assume you've tried it a couple of different ways.

EZ Board Survivor

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes absolutely. I have been reading the book for maybe 15 years or so on and off. I have read it 5 or 6 times every different way from a straight front to back reading (probably the easiest and I think in fact the way it is meant to be read) to doing it entry style (as you did) to chronologically. The first time it would be fair to say that I was (as you say) 'all at sea' at the end of it. I don't think I got any of the connections at all. With each succesive reading I got a little more 'tuned in' to what was going on untill at my last two readings I really got to grips seriuosly with the book, and took notes as I read of things/clues that might help me put it all together. This was a long process Aliantha and herein lies the nub. How do you want me to impart what I have learned to you. All in one (which is effectively a huge great spoiler from the point of you working it out for yourself - I'm ok with this coz not everyone is going to want to do what I have done with this book), or do you prefer it peicemeal so maybe you put some more of your own ideas into how it works (coz there's no saying that my interpretation is correct). You will no doubt be aware that some of the charachters 'reincarnate' at the different times of the compliation of the Dictionary for example. Do you want me to spill all the beans at once (as to my ideas at least), or do you prefer me to ask you what you may have sussed out for yourself so I can maybe nudge you in the 'right' direction, or do you prefer to ask me about areas that you are sure/unsure about. Give me a clue or two as to where you might be at the moment with this book. Lets say Ateh is reincarnated - and I believe she is twice - do you have an idea as to which later charachters she may in fact be?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”