Audiobook for The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Doug0915 wrote:
Orlion wrote:They don't exist... at least, not yet. As far as I understand, Brinks would love to do these also... but it's really a labor of love. As far as the First Chronicles were concerned, it was Brink's initiative that brought them about. DelRey publishings doesn't care to support it, so Brinks has to do it on his own. As a result, he'd have to find spare time and resources to do this.
Actually, there WAS an audiobook version of "The Wounded Land" by Terri Hayes-Sayles back in the 80's

www.worldcat.org/title/wounded-land/ocl ... ht=edition

I've not listened to it and have no idea if it's any good. I'm in the same boat. Just finished Scott's versions and am wondering if I should go get the old one. Not that I don't know what happens as I read them 25 years ago but I loved how well Scott did the first series.
I'm assuming "Brinks" is Scott Brick. Yea, he's got the rights now for the Second Chronicles. The old versions, The Wounded Land is read by a woman and the other two books are read by two different men. They aren't that good, many real words are horribly mispronounced, and quite a few things from the Chronicles are mispronounced (At least pronounced different than Scott Brick pronounces them in his readings). I downloaded the old ones (You might find a link in this thread? I posted it somewhere) and they'll suffice until Scott Brick releases his versions, but, when Scott Does, I'll be replacing them with his versions.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

In New Mexico last week Scott was talking about AATE being read by someone else. He said it upset him a great deal, especially how it was handled. He had offered to do the book, he thought he was doing the book and they went with someone else and never informed him.

He said he hopes that in 10 years, when the rights are expired that Donaldson will sell him the rights and he will do his version.

He also said that he has been so upset about not reading AATE that he is having difficulty reading the book. I can understand that, it's been his project for so many years.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

lorin wrote:In New Mexico last week Scott was talking about AATE being read by someone else. He said it upset him a great deal, especially how it was handled. He had offered to do the book, he thought he was doing the book and they went with someone else and never informed him.

He said he hopes that in 10 years, when the rights are expired that Donaldson will sell him the rights and he will do his version.

He also said that he has been so upset about not reading AATE that he is having difficulty reading the book. I can understand that, it's been his project for so many years.
Huh?

Who is they? Is AATE going to be released commercially, like Runes? Why would they choose someone else, when both RUNEs and Fatal Revenant (And the First Trilogy) show his skill with the series. Obviously the Fandom loves Scott Brick's perrformance?

That's just wrong on so many levels <SIGH> that's a real drag, that means I have to boycott it, and I was looking so forward to one day soon having AATE Audiobook to round out my collection
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

sindatur wrote:
lorin wrote:In New Mexico last week Scott was talking about AATE being read by someone else. He said it upset him a great deal, especially how it was handled. He had offered to do the book, he thought he was doing the book and they went with someone else and never informed him.

Huh?

Who is they? Is AATE going to be released commercially, like Runes? Why would they choose someone else, when both RUNEs and Fatal Revenant (And the First Trilogy) show his skill with the series. Obviously the Fandom loves Scott Brick's perrformance?

That's just wrong on so many levels <SIGH> that's a real drag, that means I have to boycott it, and I was looking so forward to one day soon having AATE Audiobook to round out my collection
it's already out
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19856&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

theguildedearlobe.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/audiobook-review-against-all-things-ending-by-stephen-donaldson/

www.goodreads.com/book/show/7897258-aga ... er_reviews
Doug0915
Servant of the Land

Post by Doug0915 »

Sorry, new to the forums. AATE?
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Sorry, new to the forums. AATE?
Welcome, Doug. AATE = Against All Things Ending, the third book of the last chronicles by SRD.
Khazduk
Woodhelvennin

Post by Khazduk »

AATE = Against All Things ending, the 3rd part of the Last Chronicles, which was released in October last year. :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Doug0915 wrote:Sorry, new to the forums. AATE?
I see you've received the answer. :)

In the meantime, let me greet you properly...

Be Welcome to the Watch, Doug.
Be Well Come and True.

Please come introduce yourself and tell us about your introduction to the chrons and SRD in the Say hello in here thread up in The Summonsing.
Nottobrite
Servant of the Land

Post by Nottobrite »

First off, thanks to Lorin for posting a link to my review.

Recorded book released the title back in February, but you could only rent it through their site. They chose the narrator, after Donaldson's publisher sold them the audio rights. Not sure why they didn't choose Brick.

The book was released on audible in may: www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B005 ... 667&sr=1-1

I never listened to the series in audio before, reading the first 8, so it was easier for me to accept Tim Gerard Reynolds as the narrator than it will be for most listeners. I was less than happy with how Recorded Books handled the whole thing, but I did like the final product.

You can read my review here: theguildedearlobe.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/audiobook-review-against-all-things-ending-by-stephen-donaldson/
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Hi Nottobrite, and welcome to your first post. I put your review in because I think both opinions matter. I on the other hand I listened to it, (at least a part of it) and couldn't stand it. Very ordinary and mundane, mispronunciations, giants with an Irish brogue. Won't listen to the rest. What a shame.
Doug0915
Servant of the Land

Post by Doug0915 »

lorin wrote:Hi Nottobrite, and welcome to your first post. I put your review in because I think both opinions matter. I on the other hand I listened to it, (at least a part of it) and couldn't stand it. Very ordinary and mundane, mispronunciations, giants with an Irish brogue. Won't listen to the rest. What a shame.
Yea, I'm not even going to attempt listening to it until Scott comes out with his version.

I suppose until it comes out you could read it and "imagine" Scott's voice in your head. It's not that hard. Once you have listened to the first three books I think I've managed to capture what he would sound like. It's more problematic for new characters in the second series but for old ones it's not hard.

Take the Haruchai for example. It's pretty easy to recreate that in my head audio wise :)
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

lorin wrote:Hi Nottobrite, and welcome to your first post. I put your review in because I think both opinions matter. I on the other hand I listened to it, (at least a part of it) and couldn't stand it. Very ordinary and mundane, mispronunciations, giants with an Irish brogue. Won't listen to the rest. What a shame.
I'm still suffering through it.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

dlbpharmd wrote:
I'm still suffering through it.
Masochist. :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Audio Covenant
Stonedownor

Post by Audio Covenant »

Hi everyone, been trying to spend more time on the Watch since attending the Elohimfest last month, saw this post and thought I'd weigh in. Thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciate it, and am glad that you've enjoyed the five volumes I've recorded so far in the series, it was always my intention to do all ten of them, ultimately, but that plan got waylaid. I wish I could explain in more detail, but trust me when I say I went to great lengths to try to make sure I'd record AATE; even after learning the audio rights had been sold to someone else, I still pursued it with that company for six months to make sure I could narrate it for them. Ah well. Sorry to hear people haven't been enjoying the audio that ultimately came out; despite not working on it myself I was really hoping it would be good, because SRD deserves that, as do we fans.

As far as the other audiobooks go that've been mentioned throughout this thread, the recordings of the Second Chronicles were taken from the national service that records for the blind way back when, I'm assuming they were pirated somehow and are being exchanged privately. I'm told some of them are enjoyable, though I've personally never listened; I know several readers for that service and at that time they weren't contacting authors to get proper pronunciations, and on science fiction/fantasy titles especially, when someone guesses on pronunciations, it just makes me cringe. But that's me, you might really like them.

For myself, I'm still pursuing the rights from the publisher to do the Second Chronicles. It's taken a crazy long time, but I'm hopeful we can secure them soon, at which point I'll record all three titles as soon as I can fit them into my narration schedule with other publishers. I will absolutely announce them here first, and put further details on my website as well.

Again, thanks everyone, very cool to hear people have been enjoying the audiobooks, that makes my heart sing. This has been a labor of love all along, and you definitely make me feel the love! It was great meeting so many of you at the 'Fest, and I hope the opportunity to meet more, even here, virtually, presents itself soon.

Best,

Scott Brick
Are you a storyteller, Thomas Covenant?

I was, once.

And you gave it up? Ah, that is as sad a tale in three words as any you might have told me. But a life without a tale is like a sea without salt. How do you live?

I live.

Another? In two words, a story sadder than the first. Say no more -- with one word you will make me weep.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

For myself, I'm still pursuing the rights from the publisher to do the Second Chronicles. It's taken a crazy long time, but I'm hopeful we can secure them soon, at which point I'll record all three titles as soon as I can fit them into my narration schedule with other publishers. I will absolutely announce them here first, and put further details on my website as well.
I can't wait! Thanks for posting an update, Scott.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

dlbpharmd wrote:
I can't wait! Thanks for posting an update, Scott.
Yes, thanks Scott. I misunderstood that you had already secured the Rights. I'm waiting anxiously for your releases

Doug0915
Servant of the Land

Post by Doug0915 »

Audio Covenant wrote:Hi everyone, been trying to spend more time on the Watch since attending the Elohimfest last month, saw this post and thought I'd weigh in. Thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciate it, and am glad that you've enjoyed the five volumes I've recorded so far in the series, it was always my intention to do all ten of them, ultimately, but that plan got waylaid. I wish I could explain in more detail, but trust me when I say I went to great lengths to try to make sure I'd record AATE; even after learning the audio rights had been sold to someone else, I still pursued it with that company for six months to make sure I could narrate it for them. Ah well. Sorry to hear people haven't been enjoying the audio that ultimately came out; despite not working on it myself I was really hoping it would be good, because SRD deserves that, as do we fans.

As far as the other audiobooks go that've been mentioned throughout this thread, the recordings of the Second Chronicles were taken from the national service that records for the blind way back when, I'm assuming they were pirated somehow and are being exchanged privately. I'm told some of them are enjoyable, though I've personally never listened; I know several readers for that service and at that time they weren't contacting authors to get proper pronunciations, and on science fiction/fantasy titles especially, when someone guesses on pronunciations, it just makes me cringe. But that's me, you might really like them.

Again, thanks everyone, very cool to hear people have been enjoying the audiobooks, that makes my heart sing. This has been a labor of love all along, and you definitely make me feel the love! It was great meeting so many of you at the 'Fest, and I hope the opportunity to meet more, even here, virtually, presents itself soon.

Best,

Scott Brick
Very cool! Thanks Scott! Here is another one hoping that you can get the rights to record the second chronicles SOON.

I must say, I REALLY enjoyed your audiobooks. Just to let you know, it was your performance on the Ender's game and Bean novels that sold me on buying the Covenant works!
madvogon
Servant of the Land

Post by madvogon »

Thank you for the information about the audiobooks; you're making a poor blind man's day!

5 down, 3000 more books to find on audio.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be welcome to the Watch, madvogon.
Be Well Come and True.

Feel free to drop in and introduce youself in the Say Hello in here thread.
Thaum
Servant of the Land

SCOTT BRICK Has Finally Released THE SECOND CHRONICLES !!!

Post by Thaum »

Here is his announcement from late last year (I just stumbled upon it now):

https://brickbybrickaudiobooks.myshopif ... cott-brick

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”