The Adjustment Bureau

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

The Adjustment Bureau

Post by Zahir »

"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Damn, I've got to see this film.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Absolutely loved it. I saw it on a plane. Twice.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

zahir - thank you for the review. and the chance to hear enigma while doing so. really liked your site.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

deer of the dawn wrote:Absolutely loved it. I saw it on a plane. Twice.
I watched it on the plane coming back from the US. Really enjoyed it. The lead female was great.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

julie is a huge matt damon fan...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Excellent film! I had never even heard of it until a few days ago. (I guess that's what happens when you DVR everything ... I don't watch commercials anymore.)

Spoilers follow ...

I love the overall theme of the fate of our civilization being "controlled" for our own good. Not that I want to be controlled, but it's just the best conspiracy theory story ever invented. And it explains just about everything about us, from the rise of intelligence to our religions. I like how they allowed us to retain control for a few periods, and then we messed it all up, necessitating a return of control. This is obviously a testing, trial-and-error kind of species that is watching over us. (I'm siding with a "higher" race of aliens, as opposed to angels and god.)

But obviously the conspiracy theory falls apart if you look at it closely. Why would they worry about "ripples" if they're not worried about controlling all of human history?? If there's no "prime directive" forbidding interference, then why would there be any limit on interference whatsoever? It's not like they're altering the past and have to worry about creating a paradox. They're altering the present, and they can do it anyway they wish. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something ...

Also, if freewill isn't important, then why is the illusion of freewill important? Why not just come down from the skies and become our overlords? If we're not choosing our fate anyway, and we're merely puppets, then why the puppet show? Why not reveal the truth to us instead, and see how that works in curbing our destructive tendencies? It can't be for any reason related to preserving our independence and freewill, obviously. So what would be the harm in overtly taking over our management??

If Damon's character was so damn important, then why would they ever risk resetting his brain? That wasn't an empty threat--they were going to do this. So if they can lose his "amazing potential" through their own actions, why was it necessary to screw with his life to such an extent anyway? They must have had a backup plan that dealt with the contingency of not having him as President, if they were willing to reset him. And that plan must have included someone else being President. So why not just go with that person, and let him have the girl? Out of 300 million Americans, there was no one else who could become the right kind of President without taking away the love of their life? Bullshit.

If an alien race was really going to do this, and they had this much control, and didn't give a damn about freewill/Prime Directive issues, then they could have simply engineered us to be whatever the hell they wanted. If they didn't like our destructive tendencies, then just edit that out of our DNA and be done with it! Geesh, this could have been done so much easier. If they can take apes to the next stage and make them intelligent, they could take humans to the next stage and make them peaceful. There are peaceful humans, and destructive humans. Breed them based on these characteristics, if that's what is important.

Other than these logical/narrative problems, I liked the way this film told its story, and I liked the way it was character-driven ... or at least how the characters overcame the plot mechanics. Quite literally, actually, as they defied The Plan.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i've skipped over malik's review (tho i most usually enjoy your take on films) so as not to read any spoilers. i'd been wondering if i should see this movie but wasn't sure. since most of you posting here seemed to like it i think i'll see it.

thanks. :thumbsup:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

ok, watched it.

should've known it was a pkd story huh! :lol:

yeah i agree there are some minor flaws with some of the logic
and i liked it all the way up to the ending...but...really i wanted
something a bit more...i dunno...maybe a bit less tearfully sentimental.

i think i need to go find the story and read it. something tells me
this isn't the way the pkd story ended. i could be wrong but...just sayin.
doesn't seem like a phillip k dick ending to me. :lol:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

lucimay wrote:ok, watched it.

:roll: I'm sure you're right, but I actually loved the happy-ending version. I know I read some Dick too many years ago ( 8O that sounds pretty weird) and want to go back and re-read since it seems like so many of my favorite films are adapted Dick stories (ok, now I'm doing it on purpose :D ) but I'm almost afraid that I liked the film versions too much and will find the stories too dark or depressing.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I liked the happy ending, too. I thought they earned it. There was so much frustration invovled in keeping these two apart, I appreciated the tension being resolved by letting them be together. Many happy endings are too easy and predictable, but this one was achieved by the main characters defying "Fate" itself (if you can call the Plan that) and the premise that we don't have freewill ... even when the "truth" of that premise was shown to them, and they (well Damon's character at least) had every reason to believe that the hat-guys' control was absolute. He was willing to risk having his brain reset, even if it meant he could be with the woman he loved for only a short time. That's beautiful.

We can apply it to ourselves, too. Even if we don't have freewill--even if we're slaves to our DNA, our environment, our hormones, our culture--we still have this all-too-human desire to push back against these forces, to transcend the facticity of our existence, and to transcend our limits. Philosophers can talk themselves out of the existence of freewill, and pretend that our brains are just extremely complex computers, but this doesn't explain how we defy prediction, how we sacrifice ourselves, how we choose the irrational in defiance of our "programming," ... how we love.

Most people walk in the ruts of history, chained to the weight of their past and present culture, following the paths laid down in their DNA, but every once in a while truly great people break out of this sleepwalking mediocrity and move all humanity forward. Perhaps that *was* The Plan for this guy. Maybe it was all a test to see if he could defy The Plan, and become one of those few who could truly lead.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

deer of the dawn wrote:

:roll: I'm sure you're right, but I actually loved the happy-ending version. I know I read some Dick too many years ago ( 8O that sounds pretty weird) and want to go back and re-read since it seems like so many of my favorite films are adapted Dick stories (ok, now I'm doing it on purpose :D ) but I'm almost afraid that I liked the film versions too much and will find the stories too dark or depressing.
By a "PDK ending" we mean "confusing and depressing?" ;)

I thought "A Scanner Darkly" was the best Dick adaptation (heh) I've seen, and it followed the book pretty much exactly.
Spoiler
Although it left out the bit where the guy tries to top himself with an OD only to realise he'd taken psychedelics instead of downers 8O
Minority Report was okay too. Blade Runner was fantastic, but so different from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" that I think it's fair to say it's they're separate stories.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cambo wrote:
deer of the dawn wrote:

By a "PDK ending" we mean "confusing and depressing?" ;)

I thought "A Scanner Darkly" was the best Dick adaptation (heh) I've seen, and it followed the book pretty much exactly.
Spoiler
Although it left out the bit where the guy tries to top himself with an OD only to realise he'd taken psychedelics instead of downers 8O
Minority Report was okay too. Blade Runner was fantastic, but so different from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" that I think it's fair to say it's they're separate stories.
yep. agree on all points.

and we've had that discussion regarding blade runner before. i do think that they are two different stories. i've always characterized blade runner as sort of an extraction from do androids dream of electric sheep.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Zarathustra wrote:Perhaps that *was* The Plan for this guy. Maybe it was all a test to see if he could defy The Plan, and become one of those few who could truly lead.
That's how I saw it, too.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I finally got around to watching this last night, and I'm going to disagree with the rest of y'all (big surprise). I think it's another disappointing PKD adaptation.

For starters, it's basically a long, big-budget episode of Fringe, which is essentially a good thing, as I think Fringe is the best thing on TV at the moment.

The film actually has a lot going for it, it's paced well, it distributes the narrative smartly, and it's got Terrence Stamp, who I'd pay to watch read the phone book (even though he'll always be General Zod to me).

But my biggest gripe is the "love conquers all" happy ending (which is decidedly un-Dick-like). It completely destroys the mood of the film, and is so jarring that it renders the rest of the film moot. It annoys the crap out of me that Hollywood insists on happy endings in big-budget features, even when they make no sense (and in this case is completely out-of-step with the source material).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Cail wrote:I finally got around to watching this last night, and I'm going to disagree with the rest of y'all (big surprise). I think it's another disappointing PKD adaptation.

For starters, it's basically a long, big-budget episode of Fringe, which is essentially a good thing, as I think Fringe is the best thing on TV at the moment.

The film actually has a lot going for it, it's paced well, it distributes the narrative smartly, and it's got Terrence Stamp, who I'd pay to watch read the phone book (even though he'll always be General Zod to me).

But my biggest gripe is the "love conquers all" happy ending (which is decidedly un-Dick-like). It completely destroys the mood of the film, and is so jarring that it renders the rest of the film moot. It annoys the crap out of me that Hollywood insists on happy endings in big-budget features, even when they make no sense (and in this case is completely out-of-step with the source material).
i agree and said as much in my post up thread, tho yours is a more articulate description.
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

disagree with your assessment of the ending. Forget the "source material"; the real issue is: does this work as a film. the answer is "yes". I agree with Zar: "They earned it". And it totally worked in the movie. Some may call it "Hollywood", in this case i call it good story-telling.

:thumbsup: [/quote]
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I could have shown I posted something about this flick--really loved it, agree with the end controversy-Alot of Dick movies don't have his endings--how could Blade Runner? And Total Recall is based on two very different short stories...Paycheck, Minority Report (well, they twisted things around...) and Imposter didn't have the same endings. Imposter, terribly underrated film, thought Sinise was brilliant in it. Don't know why but Screamers is still my all time fav...perhaps I'm a closet Peter Weller fan?
fall far and well Pilots!
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I think The Adjustment Bureau suffered by virtue of it's close release to 'Inception' starring Leonardo de Caprio. It was a good enough story in it's own way but seen alongside Inception it really paled significantly. Matt Damon is suffering from the requirement that whatever film he appears in we want him to be Bourne and in fairness did a reasonable job here of (partly) keeping away from this (probably temptingly) lazy approach. But in some way the film did not seem 'heavyweight' enough. It should have been - dark forces controlling all of humanity and that - but it didn't. And yes, the ending.......!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I had not the slightest idea this was PKD until reading this thread just now. :lol: Yeah, really enjoyed the movie.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “Flicks”