Oh, btw...

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Oh, btw...

Post by Fist and Faith »

The Human Torch was killed by Annihilus. Funny, isn't it?, that nobody seems to care. Deaths are so silly. FF #600 will come out in a year, and it's assumed he'll return then. Whatever.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I got the issue (587?) a few weeks back. It came sealed in a blue bag. Mine is still sealed. Kinda makes me wonder why I bought it; must be 'cause I have all the issues from 114 on up.......actually, I figured they'd print an unsealed 2nd printing, which they did this week. The stupid thing is they 'killed' Reed and Doc Doom back around #381, and didn't bring them back until 406 or so, so this isn't even a new idea for the FF.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I coincidentally lost my interest in the FF comic about the same time the first abomination...er...movie was released. Well maybe it was a bit before that but that film and it's only slightly better sequel really didn't help matters. I'm old school when it comes to the FF. I don't much care for the direction the comic has been going the past decade or so.

Nuff said.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

You know, Reed, Sue and Ben have had extended periods of absence from the team; I don't think Johnny has ever been gone for more than an issue. Maybe Marvel figured he needed some time off.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

why replace him with Spider-Man?

oh yeah, sales.

is the original Human Torch alive again?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

What, the android? He's the Vision now.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

no. that was disproved years ago. the Human Torch android came back in West Coast Avengers and died in the Invaders revamp. (the one with Thin Man and Blazing SKull)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Disproved? It was complete fiction to begin with.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It was a stupid retcon. Shoulda left it the Vision.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

The West Coast Avenger's ruination of the Vision happened 20--something years ago. Last time I looked, he was back to his original self. IIRC, he is the original Human Torch, one taken out of a parallel time stream by Kang and left for Ultron (or was it the Thinker?) to modify into the Vision. As far as I know, all that West Coast foolishness has been ignored ever since that comic run ended.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

___ wrote:The West Coast Avenger's ruination of the Vision happened 20--something years ago. Last time I looked, he was back to his original self. IIRC, he is the original Human Torch, one taken out of a parallel time stream by Kang and left for Ultron (or was it the Thinker?) to modify into the Vision. As far as I know, all that West Coast foolishness has been ignored ever since that comic run ended.
thanks for the heads up - looked it up.

The robot Ultron is the creator of the Vision, a type of android he calls a "synthezoid", for use against Ultron's own creator, Dr. Henry Pym (Ant-Man/Giant Man/Goliath/Yellowjacket) and Pym's wife, Janet van Dyne (the Wasp) of the superhero team the Avengers. Ultron sends his new servant to lead the Avengers into a trap. The Wasp is the first to encounter the synthezoid, and describes it as a "vision" while trying to escape. Adopting the name, the Vision is convinced by the Avengers to turn against Ultron.[2] After learning how Ultron created him using the brain patterns of then-deceased Simon Williams (Wonder Man), the Vision becomes a member of the team.[3] The team initially believes the Vision's body was created from that of the android original Human Torch.[4] The Avengers later are told that the time lord Immortus used the power of the Forever Crystal to split the original Human Torch into two entities - one body remained the original Torch while Ultron rebuilt the other as the Vision - as part of his plan to nurture a relationship for the Scarlet Witch that would prevent her from having any children, as her power level meant that any offspring she might have could threaten the cosmic beings of the Marvel Universe

I actually prefer the original story line. that the Vision was created using Hammond's body and Wonder Man provided the brain patterns.

I have the '82 miniseries and feel it still holds up well.

marvel1980s.blogspot.com/2009/12/1982-vison-and-scarlet-witch.html

i liked having Magneto, Scarlet WItch, Vision, Wizzer, Miss America, Wonder Man, Grim Reaper, Quicksilver, Crystal, Inhumans, Nuklon all related.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Not that this will surprise anyone, but having read FF 587, I noticed that we never see the Torch take the fatal blow, never see him fall; we only see the Thing's reactions as he watches the Torch's 'final' moments. In #588, Reed looks through the portal, and sees Annihilus on the other side, holding up Johnny's shirt. I don't know why they bothered making it ambiguous; we've seen comic book heroes get hit with everything up to and including nuclear weapons and come back before.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

it was for a sales spike. and they got coverage in the media. not as much as when they killed Cap, but more than usual.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

No shit, Sherlock. That's what comics have devolved into, publicity stunts to grab the attention of collectors who aren't buying the book. DC killed Superman and Batman and Flash for sure, and probably a few Green Lanterns, too. Marvel took out Iron Man, Spiderman, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Phoenix, Mr. Fantastic, Warlock and who remembers who else. It's nothing new, and certainly not a revelation (sort of like null's posting garbage to continue this discussion, when everyone else is done talking about it). And, with the exception of Captain Marvel, they always come back. It's annoying to the fans who do buy the book it happens in, but 2 years from now, Johnny will be back, they'll have already re-renumbered FF at 600, and we'll forget all about it until about issue 770, when Sue gets "killed". After all, it is her turn next, right?
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Anyway, FF #1 (589) should be a May 2011 issue. November 2011 marks the 50th anniversary of the FF, so FF #7 (595) should commemorate it. Marvel probably won't bring Johnny back any earlier than #600, but if they do, I think #595 would be the time to do it.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

The Sorcerer King
Woodhelvennin

Post by The Sorcerer King »

Finding Johnny Storm survived won't be a surprise. But finding out Four Freedom's Plaza is actually a Citadel-class spaceship?

Shocking!
"The Sorcerer King ascended the throne, pushed the holy launch button and laughed like a drunken clown" - excerpt from Flower of Doom
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

dANdeLION wrote:No shit, Sherlock.
thought I'd ask you - are you reading the FF series? I have some issues and liked the overall basis of the storyline. due to costs I may just get the first twelve issues, as the storyline shifts after that.

I was a fan of Byrne's work with the Fantastic Four, in fact #250 is the only issue I have. but given the chance I'd love to collect his run.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Yeah, I get FF. I get Fantastic Four, too. I could quit FF, but the stories tie into the Fantastic Four, so I haven't dropped it. The last two Fantastic Four have were really good, as was the issue of Spider-man that the Torch was his roommate in. My favorite Byrne issues are 205-215 (when he was just the artist), and 232-265(ish). It went downhill after that; I think I cancelled my subscription a few months before his last issue.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

i like the FF when they go cosmic/negative zone. and when the family dynamic is played up.

and i love the Intelligencia and would like to see them more. someone needs to make the Wizard a better foe for Reed.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”