The Crippled God [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

You know who's worse than the damn Assail? Freakin Tanakalian. He sucks so hard. SO HARD.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Agreed. I wanted to sucker-punch that guy. Urgh. And I agree with you about the Assail. But just -- <mmbghtambbtfhf!>

Okay, *fine*. I *won't* give that part away. Just keep going, Wadds.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Thanks :) I'll finish as soon as I can. The dog is hating me for ignoring her right now. SHE JUST DOESN'T UNDERSTAND!!
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Read her the parts about Roach and Bent.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

yeah honestly the jibber jabbering forkrul assail just annoy the living shit outa me. its how he makes us hate them. lol!!

i loved that "who's the toughest bridgeburner you know?" conversation!

uh yeah. no mystery there. fiddler of course. 8)

really love any and all conversations with hood. some of which are just laugh out loud hilarious.

had not gotten weepy at all until kalam asked minala to tell him the story of "that edur with the spear". :cry:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: omg i just read the communique from Tehol to Brys!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: still laughing out loud!!
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

:lol: Tehol always comes through.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I was disappointed that we didn't actually see Tehol in the flesh (and I do mean flesh -- I assume he's still wearing that stupid blanket :lol:). But I guess ya can't have everything, even in a 900-page doorstop.

But -- who knew Hood had a sense of humor? "I never much liked the Forkrul Assail." :haha:

And *yes* to the "toughest Bridgeburner" response. 8) You can always tell the good guys in this series -- they're the ones who have magical ability but who don't want it. Paran, Fid...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Spoiler
Ok, so, Cotillion stabbed TCG so his soul could go free and he could join his buddies in the Flying Jade Thingies, right?

Also, I really like what Erickson did with TCG being the writer of the Book of the Fallen. Also, he seems like an alright dude. That was unexpected.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

They've been warned about spoilers! :D

Waddley Gaga wrote:Ok, so, Cotillion stabbed TCG so his soul could go free and he could join his buddies in the Flying Jade Thingies, right?
Yeah. I didn't get that at first. I was REALLY pissed! :lol:

Waddley Gaga wrote:Also, I really like what Erickson did with TCG being the writer of the Book of the Fallen. Also, he seems like an alright dude. That was unexpected.
I guess he wrote one and Fiddler wrote one? Heh. Anyway, YES, he's a good guy! I was very surprised and happy! (And I'm having trouble convincing one or two folks of this at the Hangar. :lol:)
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

oh yeah i didn't get it at first either and was so shocked when cotillion did that. took me a few minutes to actually get what had happened.

yeah that whole part when CG was saying he was going to write the book of the fallen...TOTALLY made me weepy. *i will remember." :cry:

but the kicker for me was fid at the end saying to the kid "the world always needs more soldiers." (again with the reference to the prologue of GotM)

in the end i was just sad it was all over.
i mean i know there are more esselmont books to come, i haven't read Stonewielder yet even, but...the bridgeburners are done. *sniffle* :cry:
to one of them?

~ dennis r wood ~
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

Wow. Just wow. Read the first half quite slowly but then just went through from around 400 to the end in the last 15 hours. I'm in an airport now and was seriously trying not to lose it in front of everyone during that last battle.

I can't believe it's over though.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

lucimay wrote:
aliantha wrote:You're a mod because you're the one who dragged us all into this series. :lol:

I'll go take a look at the post in question...

EDIT: Nah, it's fine. :)
ah! good. thanks alianthabug. :D

did i? am i really the one that began it here? i don't think so, i think several of you were already on that train before i hopped on! :D :P :lol:
It was definitely your posts here that got me giving Gardens of the Moon a shot all those years ago (2006 I think it was!)

Maybe you didn't start it but you gave it some weight and momentum and by the end its very own forum, you're like our very own Tavore. Sort of.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

The Somberlain wrote:Maybe you didn't start it but you gave it some weight and momentum and by the end its very own forum, you're like our very own Tavore. Sort of.
So if luci's our Adjunct, I guess that makes us the Unwitnessed? Which I like better than being Bonehunter, because no way am I going to start attaching finger bones to my clothing. :lol: Altho if we could be Bridgeburners -- now *that* would be seriously cool!

EZ Board Survivor

Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Yeah, I couldn't have read it in public. The water works were on all the way through.

I am having trouble seeing the point of Mappo's death. Erickson doesn't kill characters off unless it serves a purpose. And I suppose that you can take Mappo's death as a symbol of the futility of protecting Icarium, and allowing Ublala to become his new protector, but how will Ublala know what to do when Icarium goes into a rage?

Speaking of Icarium, what happened to the warrens that he created? That did happen, right? Did they just go away or did I miss something?
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I asked about Icarium's warrens, too. I guess the best answer is: Here's hoping we find out in future books. :lol:

I think Mappo's death was more putting him out of his misery than anything else. And I know "misery" is not the right word. But he's been around for a looooooong time, doing what he's been doing, no end in sight. If he lived, it would just go on as it has been, and he'd be miserable over it, as he has been so far. He loves Icarium, but he's guilt-ridden. And it's largely futile anyway. It's not a permanent solution.

Having Ublala take over, not having any idea what to do about the problem - indeed, not having any idea there is a problem, much less what the solution might be - might mean something of a more permanent nature will happen.
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

Good call, I like that take on it. Even though I still wish Mappo were around, it would only ever be more of the same from them like you said. A really tragic story.

Do you know if we're going to get more books with Icarium? I know we're gonna get Rake and Karsa from Erickson, but I'm not sure if that's all that's in the works.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Didn't Icarium say he'd follow Karsa when Karsa tries to become emperor? Something weird like that? In Letheri, before Karsa fought the emperor. So I expect to see Icarium in the Karsa books.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

Plus, of course, he's now with Ublala - and if Karsa is still intent on uniting all the Toblakai then I'd imagine he can't not crop up.

What I want to see is Grub, though! He was all set up to ascend or something and then suddenly, nothing.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Yeah! What the hell happened with Grub?? That was annoying!

I was hoping to see Tayschrenn and Topper, too. Not expecting Topper, but woulda been nice. I was never interested until he popped up at that point in RotCG. That was cool. :D I thought Tay's power would be needed, though. Surprised such a powerful character was gone. Ah well. Not the only one.

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”