The Crippled God [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

I dunno, I think Grub's story was as wrapped up as it could be. It was foreshadowed (or rather, blatantly stated) a few books back that he'd be a High Fist(?) one day. In his last scene, he came to the realization that he was a child of war, it was all he had known and it was pretty much how he was created. He took leadership when he needed to. He's beginning to fulfill his destiny. Since he's a kid, I imagine that after the story he remained in the military and he's going to move up through the ranks until he becomes High Fist. Maybe we'll get to see him again the the Karsa books.
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Well, I guess that's true. I was just expecting something serious from him then. Brys made him his 2nd in Command, right? Shoulda done something strategically extraordinary. heh
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Spoiler
So, the crippled god turns out to be sorta a good guy, or perhaps a redeemed guy in the end. And he got redeemed by the Malazans. He didn't really do that much good in the end.

So, is Karsa becoming a new god of war? He killed Fener over the battlefield, and somebody said something about there maybe being a shattered face replacing all the visages of the gods of war.

The empire is pretty much up in the air...Fid goes back to Malaz, but no word about the political situation...Mallick Rel is the Emperor now...

Knew Quick Ben and Kalam would make an appearance. Glad Lostara got her guy through it all.
Great series. Serious thanks to LuciMay for sending me book 1. And Fist for the next 3. (Just GotM wouldn't have done it. ;) )

[Edit: Since people are posting in here who haven't read the book...]

--A
Last edited by Avatar on Tue May 17, 2011 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I just bought a copy of Crippled God. It should get here in a week. I've been busy reading the six Dune books Frank Herbert wrote, and am down to the last hundred or so pages of book six, so I figured it was time to get CG. Now, if I can stretch it out for two months, when the new GRRM book comes out. :biggrin:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just read the first chapter, and I'm finding it pretty hard to follow. Too much obfuscation trying to provoke intrigue.

Post by Avatar »

How long ago did you read DoD?

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Too long, of course, but reading it wouldn't make the Ben Delat segment any more comprehensible, or explain what was going on with Paran. Erikson's trying too hard to make us guess.
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

He says in the interview that there haven't been enough clues for us to know who Quick's parents are. Which is annoying, but at least you don't have to waste time trying to figure it out. Heh.

Paran? That's just where he is. In position for all the final action.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Erikson's always liked to make us guess at things for a while, but it's just the sheer number of things in the first Paran segments - where he is; who is besieging him (the two figures on the barrow); where the children came from; what's going on where he says they just keep throwing the Shriven and Watered at him and not attacking him with their full power, and then identifies one of the children as Shriven (when the children were all supposedly from hiding in the caves); what he wants from Shadowthrone; what is "this assault on the Warrens" that Shadowthrone says he did after sitting in Aren.

It just seems like Erikson's reached a point where his own opinion of his cleverness has exceeded himself, and he's putting way too much of this hinting into things. When it's not even possible to guess the answer, because he's withheld necessary information, then it's not mystery, it's just obfuscation, and it alienates the reader from what's going on in the story.

I don't quite get what you mean about Ben's parents, by the way. In the scene I read I gathered he was addressing Mother Dark, talking about her, Anomander, Nimander, Father Light, and stealing some Andii artifact. Beyond the general sense of who is involved and the idea that they succeeded or failed at certain things, the monologue is incomprehensible, particularly when he seems to be referring to distinct parts of himself without any indication of which.

Post by Avatar »

Murrin wrote:When it's not even possible to guess the answer, because he's withheld necessary information, then it's not mystery, it's just obfuscation....
It didn't bother me, but that is probably the best description of the distinction between the two that I've ever seen.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've heard people talk say they couldn't get into these books because they found them boring, and though I disagree I can see why they migt think so. Hundred of pages of mostly walking, and talking, and thinking - chapter after chapter of journeying toward something and worrying about what will happen when they get there.

It's probably something not everyone can appreciate, seeing these characters wax philosophical over so many pages and the content being of character rather than action.

Erikson spends a helluva lot of time on preparation, buildup, and aftermath.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, I never even thought about that.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm halfway through the book and they're only a few days into the desert - some characters have only just reached its edge. :P
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just now read the bit where the Unbound say that the whole House is with the Bonehunters, and I felt like recording my guesses.

Consort: Tavore
Reaver (male and female): Yil/Gudd
Cripple: Banaschar
Leper: Hedge
Fool: Blistig

The one I'm not sure of is Cripple. Edit: I was right!
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Sun May 29, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

anotherplace.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/crippled-god/

Fortunately, I doubt I'm widely enough read for anyone to bother calling spoiler against that review, heh.

(Triple posting - don't tell jay!)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Nice review, Murrin. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Post by Avatar »

Agreed.

--A
Mr. Broken
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Mr. Broken »

I have witnessed. What a story.
Best I've ever read.
Wide Eyed Stupid
Onos T'oolan
Giantfriend

Post by Onos T'oolan »

:goodpost: :yourock:
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Not as good as Against All Things Ending :twisted: :poke:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”