April 17: Game of Thrones HBO

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

danlo wrote:I was terribly impressed by episode 1, I wasn't worried about Bean's acting, just wasn't sure he was right for Ned as I pictured him...I got used to him in a hurry. Daenerys (sp, prob) butt was a little to big...but I wrote that off to--well, she rides a lot (LOL). Theon, Joffrey and Visearys (sp, again) deliciously smarmy and creepy-Dinklage brilliant as Tyrion, Sets and locales amazing-Wall: awesome. Followed the book (maybe just a tad complex for someone who hasn't read) to a tee-loving every minute of it!
I remember hating Viserys in the book, but I thought he was really great last night. And I liked Dany's butt, so screw you, man! :lol:

Tyrion is going to be really, really good. I wonder what they'll do if they get to AFFC in season 4 and realize he ain't gonna be in it.

I'm kind of worried about Arya. She was probably my favorite character in the books, especially in ACoK and ASoS, but I dont' know if her character will work in the tv series as well. I'm also going to be really pissed if they cut out Moonboy's character.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Pretty good. The Daenerys nude scene and Tyrion's whoring were unnecessary additions IMO, but overall they did well.

There is one thing that's either a mistake or a gaping hole in my memory. The wolves: Jon says five wolves for five Stark children, and he is about to go without a wolf when they find the runt. But I can't remember five Stark children if Jon is excluded. Robb, Bran, Arya, Sansa, ?.

Akasri wrote:My only nitpick is the wedding consummation scene with Khal Drogo. In the book, I didn't remember him as quite such a barbarian in that scene, but whatever. I'm happy with it.
As far as the actual actions and dialogue, they played it pretty close to the book, but I seem to recall that Dany was a little more reassured in the book by some of his gentle gestures when he tried to tell her to stop crying. Still, pretty much exactly how it happened in there.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

You're forgetting Rickon. I'm not sure we saw him in the show; he was around 2 years old in the books. It's too bad he wasn't shoved out the window as well, because he was a pretty useless character, as I recall.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Of course, thanks. I don't think he was in the episode either. He gets left at Winterfell and doesn't really do anything, right? Hmm... where did he end up when Winterfell... fell?
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

danlo wrote:I was terribly impressed by episode 1, I wasn't worried about Bean's acting, just wasn't sure he was right for Ned as I pictured him...I got used to him in a hurry. Daenerys (sp, prob) butt was a little to big
Pfff. She's a healthy woman!
Murrin wrote:Pretty good. The Daenerys nude scene and Tyrion's whoring were unnecessary additions IMO, but overall they did well.
Female nudity is a prerequisite if you've read the books. :lol: Plus it's HBO. Tyrion is all about whores, as well. Would be quite an omission on what makes his character unique.
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:Tyrion is going to be really, really good. I wonder what they'll do if they get to AFFC in season 4 and realize he ain't gonna be in it.
Fix GRRM's mistake, hopefully. By the 4th season of this series (4 years from now, I'm thinking) A Dance with Dragons will be out. The series won't have to split characters like GRRM did.
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:After watching the preview last night, I realized what a dick Ned Stark was for cutting that dude's head off. It starts the series off with a bang, but still, what a dick.
Er, he was just obeying the law? He had to execute deserters. You can't just say, "Hey buddy, I'm feeling good and will let you go this time." :lol: It's a stricter, harsher world.

I didn't think he relished the deed, so I don't see any dick-factor. :P He just thought the guy was mad, as anyone would (one must remember the White Walkers were strongly embedded as myth or at least gone for thousands of years).

My feeling on the series: fantastic so far. I really like the look, the scenes they chose and their ability at picking out the most salient moments from the book. It's different but that's a good thing. I also pictured Castle Stark's exterior to be a little more grim, but the interior is fine; and the dark, candle-lit feast was spot on.

:ct07: Five Out of Five Foul Ducks :ct19:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I want my bedroom to look like that-now that was slick
fall far and well Pilots!
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Murrin wrote:Of course, thanks. I don't think he was in the episode either. He gets left at Winterfell and doesn't really do anything, right? Hmm... where did he end up when Winterfell... fell?
I think Rickon ends up going north with Bran and the two frog twins, whatever their names are. Maybe after the pass through the wall, they starve and have to eat him.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Lord Foul wrote:
Murrin wrote:Pretty good. The Daenerys nude scene and Tyrion's whoring were unnecessary additions IMO, but overall they did well.
Female nudity is a prerequisite if you've read the books. :lol: Plus it's HBO. Tyrion is all about whores, as well. Would be quite an omission on what makes his character unique.
I didn't say he shouldn't be into whoring in the series, just that the entire scene in the brothel was invented whole cloth and wasn't from the books, which smacks of pandering to an audience who just wants to see more sex.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

My :2c:

I was happy that Dany's butt was bigger. I'm sick of seeing skinny people in movies, heh.

I also noted that the wedding nigh with Drogo wasn't the same as the book. I recall him being much gentler and she was put at ease. His "no" responses were more like questions than answers.

I always pictured Caitlyn to be a prettier woman.

I loved the way Tyrion was played as well as Jamie.

Overall, I was happy with it. It has to be a colossal undertaking to reduce that book to a movie.
The King has one more move.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Murrin wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
I didn't say he shouldn't be into whoring in the series, just that the entire scene in the brothel was invented whole cloth and wasn't from the books, which smacks of pandering to an audience who just wants to see more sex.
Mm... Surely the sex in the books is pandering to human impulse too? I think it fit (mainly because you learned who he was, why he's the "Imp", and it's a more memorable intro than chatting with Snow in the dark).

Don't get me wrong; loved Tyrion-Snow moments but everyone's favorite dwarf needed something a little more flavorful, and new viewers must know the series has a colorful/comedic character buffering the intrigue and supernatural mumbo-jumbo.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Murrin,

Right because no HBO shows have ever had gratuitous sex before *cough*TrueBlood*cough*
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Worm of Despite
Lord

SerScot wrote:Murrin,

Right because no HBO shows have ever had gratuitous sex before *cough*TrueBlood*cough*
Or Real Sex :lol:

Don't get me wrong, Murrin; I totally understand the annoyance of seeing huge deviations from the book (Faramir anyone?), but I suppose I also understood why they invented that scene and I think it was pretty good reasoning.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I dunno. He does have that side to his character, but it was not blatantly shoved at us in his first appearance in the books, so why should it be in the TV series? It mgiht have been referred to a lot but we didn't really see his behaviour until he picked up the prostitute from among Tywin's camp followers much later - and he stayed with that same whore pretty much exclusively right through into A Storm of Swords, making a good argument that he uses prostitutes as a substitute for the wife Tywin took from him.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Lord Foul wrote:I think it fit (mainly because you learned who he was, why he's the "Imp", and it's a more memorable intro than chatting with Snow in the dark).

Don't get me wrong; loved Tyrion-Snow moments but everyone's favorite dwarf needed something a little more flavorful, and new viewers must know the series has a colorful/comedic character buffering the intrigue and supernatural mumbo-jumbo.
I haven't seen the HBO version, but I thought the initial Tyrion-Snow moment was the first truly great character moment of the entire series. It wasn't there to shock (like decapitation, incest, or pushing children out of windows) as much as to show a connection between outcasts. This was the first moment that felt real to me, and made me realize the author had something to offer besides spectacle. I'm sad to hear that it was cut in favor of yet more spectacle.
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
After watching the preview last night, I realized what a dick Ned Stark was for cutting that dude's head off. It starts the series off with a bang, but still, what a dick.
If you think about the end of this book, decapitation bookends this first volume nicely. Maybe the end will moderate viewers' impression of Ned's action here.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Zarathustra wrote:I haven't seen the HBO version, but I thought the initial Tyrion-Snow moment was the first truly great character moment of the entire series. It wasn't there to shock (like decapitation, incest, or pushing children out of windows) as much as to show a connection between outcasts. This was the first moment that felt real to me, and made me realize the author had something to offer besides spectacle. I'm sad to hear that it was cut in favor of yet more spectacle.
Tyrion and Jon Snow still had a chunk of that scene later on. Tyrion confronting Jon with the name "bastard" then saying he knows what it's like. The scene was likely kept so they could firmly establish Jon's relationship to the Starks, which wasn't made clear prior to it.
Zarathustra wrote:
Farm Ur-Ted wrote:After watching the preview last night, I realized what a dick Ned Stark was for cutting that dude's head off. It starts the series off with a bang, but still, what a dick.
If you think about the end of this book, decapitation bookends this first volume nicely. Maybe the end will moderate viewers' impression of Ned's action here.
Indeed. The beginning, with the comment about the man who makes the judgement swinging the sword, is directly called up by the way things end.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Zarathustra wrote: This was the first moment that felt real to me, and made me realize the author had something to offer besides spectacle. I'm sad to hear that it was cut in favor of yet more spectacle.
I wish they hadn't cut the original scene so much between Tyrion and Snow, but that prostitute was really hot, man. So I had no problem with the new scene. Apparently, I'm right in the middle of the show's demographic, lol.

There's no doubt about that. I think when I read the book, by the time I got to the end, I'd forgotten about Ned's beheading of the guard in the beginning. After seeing it, though, I don't feel so bad for Ned. Yeah, the guy broke the law, but plenty of the Watch members break their vows, and it's overlooked. I think anyone could look at the guy and realize that maybe just lopping his head off because he was completely off his rocker wasn't the coolest move in the world.
Murrin wrote:Tyrion and Jon Snow still had a chunk of that scene later on. Tyrion confronting Jon with the name "bastard" then saying he knows what it's like. The scene was likely kept so they could firmly establish Jon's relationship to the Starks, which wasn't made clear prior to it.
I thought they did sort of a poor job introducing the Stark boys. I'm still not really sure which one is Theon and which one is Rob. It took me a while to even remember if there was an older brother (or maybe two). I guess we'll get more of them in the coming episodes, to make it more clear who is who.

Worm of Despite
Lord

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:
Zarathustra wrote: This was the first moment that felt real to me, and made me realize the author had something to offer besides spectacle. I'm sad to hear that it was cut in favor of yet more spectacle.
I wish they hadn't cut the original scene so much between Tyrion and Snow, but that prostitute was really hot, man. So I had no problem with the new scene. Apparently, I'm right in the middle of the show's demographic, lol.
Yes. As a fan of the books and a red-blooded American man, I did approve of the prostitute. :lol:
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

It was an entertaining episode, but it also seemed to follow that HBO formula for a first episode:

1) Gratuitous violence [check]
2) Gratuitous nudity [check]
3) Use of foul language [check]

HBO always seems to have to hit people over the head with what they can do that regular cable channels can not... and sometimes, it's pretty annoying.

That being said, everything seemed to be more balanced with this HBO episode... mostly everything actually served a purpose and was only gratuitous only because sure, it could have been shot in another way, but they went for the 'premium'.

I'll at least watch the next episode, see where this heads.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Worm of Despite
Lord

Orlion wrote:It was an entertaining episode, but it also seemed to follow that HBO formula for a first episode:

HBO always seems to have to hit people over the head with what they can do that regular cable channels can not... and sometimes, it's pretty annoying.

That being said, everything seemed to be more balanced with this HBO episode... mostly everything actually served a purpose and was only gratuitous only because sure, it could have been shot in another way, but they went for the 'premium'.
I have to think the nudity and violence isn't so far from Ice and Fire myself, some of which goes into erotic story territory in some scenes (Cersei and that Myrish woman in Feast for Crows, eh?).

I must say, I hope the standard keeps the same as the opening, indeed, and doesn't stray into the weird paths The Walking Dead did.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Lord Foul wrote:
Orlion wrote:It was an entertaining episode, but it also seemed to follow that HBO formula for a first episode:

I have to think the nudity and violence isn't so far from Ice and Fire myself, some of which goes into erotic story territory in some scenes (Cersei and that Myrish woman in Feast for Crows, eh?).

I must say, I hope the standard keeps the same as the opening, indeed, and doesn't stray into the weird paths The Walking Dead did.
Haven't read any of the books, so I don't know :P

But, like the ending, such scenes are obviously important to the story or character development. Hell, at first when Dray's brother derobed her, I thought that was pointless, but upon reflection it casts a certain characterization on Dray's brother and on Dray herself.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”