April 17: Game of Thrones HBO

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Worm of Despite
Lord

April 17: Game of Thrones HBO

Post by Worm of Despite »

Yep. If you have HBO you win! Not sure the exact time of the airing, but April 17 is the date to mark. I can only hope it matches the quality of HBO's Rome mini-series, which reminded me of Martin's books in terms of violence, intrigue and naughty sex.

Oh--and Sean Bean as Eddard Stark. Awesome.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

From all the previews and clips I've seen (and there are tons of them out there), this looks to be absolutely awesome! :)
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

Speaking of clips, here are the first 14 minutes:

www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=75962
Spoiler
It's pretty good. My only nitpick would be the Others, I had imagined them less as zombies and more like otherworldly creatures...
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Hiro,

I thought the ploting and acting were well done. That said Winterfell looked more like a small stockade than a huge castle.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I think I'm gonna have to try and watch this on sopcast; the hbo package I can get just isn't worth it. Either that, or I'll wait for netflix to pick it up.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Netflix it is! :mrgreen:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Hiro
Giantfriend

Post by Hiro »

SerScot wrote:Hiro,

I thought the ploting and acting were well done. That said Winterfell looked more like a small stockade than a huge castle.
Yes indeed, the acting was fine, and the slow but steady way in which we were led into this world as well. Winterfell, up close and in the courtyard it's alright I guess. From a distance, I agree that it doesn't quite feel right. In my imagination Winterfell was more stark and forbidding.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Hiro,

And not brown. The towers were brown, that seemed wrong.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

After watching the preview last night, I realized what a dick Ned Stark was for cutting that dude's head off. It starts the series off with a bang, but still, what a dick. And I don't like Caitlyn anymore in the show than I did in the books. I can't wait until season 3 of this show, lol.

Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Farm Ur-Ted wrote:After watching the preview last night, I realized what a dick Ned Stark was for cutting that dude's head off. It starts the series off with a bang, but still, what a dick. And I don't like Caitlyn anymore in the show than I did in the books. I can't wait until season 3 of this show, lol.
In the book it made sense to me, but as filmed, yeah, he looked like a dick.

"Oh, you saw a White Walker? Too bad..." LOP!!

In the book you got more of a feel that despite seeing a white walker, his dereliction of duty was so severe that it warranted the execution. That didn't seem to come across in the filmed version.

Still, I'm excited by what I've seen so far :)
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Akasri,

Not to mention the fact that it was Gareth, the older man, not Will who deserted and was executed.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Akasri wrote: In the book it made sense to me, but as filmed, yeah, he looked like a dick.

"Oh, you saw a White Walker? Too bad..." LOP!!

In the book you got more of a feel that despite seeing a white walker, his dereliction of duty was so severe that it warranted the execution. That didn't seem to come across in the filmed version.

Still, I'm excited by what I've seen so far :)
"Wow, you must be really traumatized after having a White Walker scare the living shit out of you and kill and probably eat your friends. It's kind of like you managed to survive the Blair Witch. You're lucky to be alive, and I'd be goofy as a june-bug, too, after that. Now do me a favor and put your head down on this log, I've got a dinner I need to get to. Ain't it a bitch when you're the man in charge?"

Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

SerScot wrote:Akasri,

Not to mention the fact that it was Gareth, the older man, not Will who deserted and was executed.
Oohhh... it's been a while since I read that book - I'd forgotten that. I remembered the scene, but not who it actually was :)
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I've been looking at the previews and this actually looks pretty good. But there's no way we're going to get this here in the Netherlands so I will have to resort to...other means.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Total coolness---DTV is offering HBO freebies this week so I can see the premier (of course I'll be totally into it, the promo will end, and then I'll have to shell out bucks for at least 6 more months sevice...grrr)
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Whoa! Thanks for the heads-up, guess I won't need to find somewhere to stream it tonight, lol! (Hope we get some nudity in freebee week, lol.)

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I was terribly impressed by episode 1, I wasn't worried about Bean's acting, just wasn't sure he was right for Ned as I pictured him...I got used to him in a hurry. Daenerys (sp, prob) butt was a little to big...but I wrote that off to--well, she rides a lot (LOL). Theon, Joffrey and Visearys (sp, again) deliciously smarmy and creepy-Dinklage brilliant as Tyrion, Sets and locales amazing-Wall: awesome. Followed the book (maybe just a tad complex for someone who hasn't read) to a tee-loving every minute of it!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

(maybe just a tad complex for someone who hasn't read)
Absolutely. Guess I'll have to watch the first episode again to see what all the fuss is about. So far, not impressed at all. BTW, thanks for the heads-up about the free HBO weekend.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

My wife hasn't read the books and she was able to follow along pretty well. I thought they did a great job with it, given the tough job of translating such a vast story to the small screen.

My only nitpick is the wedding consummation scene with Khal Drogo. In the book, I didn't remember him as quite such a barbarian in that scene, but whatever. I'm happy with it.

Now, if someone could figure out how to do a similar good job with the Chronicles... ;)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

absolutely!

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”