April 17: Game of Thrones HBO

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I was happy with the episode but I didn't remember the story Cersi told to Catelyn about the baby that died. Didn't remember that bit at all.
The King has one more move.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm sure I remember the story from somewhere in the series, but as I remember it she was secretly happy the boy didn't survive because it was Robert's and not Jaime's.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Murrin wrote:I'm sure I remember the story from somewhere in the series, but as I remember it she was secretly happy the boy didn't survive because it was Robert's and not Jaime's.
In case this helps, 2/3rds of the way through GOT (the book, which I'm reading for the first time), Cersei meets with Eddard in the Kings' Landing Godswood and admits that the only time that Robert got her pregnant, Jaime quickly found a woman who performed an abortion on her.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

So far I'm quite pleased. What thrills me about adaptations are the retellings of a story and what actors bring to roles.

I'm especially interested in how Daenarys focuses upon those dragon eggs.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Agreed, Zahir. I love the fast, assured pace and the faitfulness (something The Walking Dead adaptation failed at on both counts). But most importantly, this series feels differently from the book but retains its spirit (as best TV can). Let's hope it stays so!
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

TheFallen wrote:
Murrin wrote:I'm sure I remember the story from somewhere in the series, but as I remember it she was secretly happy the boy didn't survive because it was Robert's and not Jaime's.
In case this helps, 2/3rds of the way through GOT (the book, which I'm reading for the first time), Cersei meets with Eddard in the Kings' Landing Godswood and admits that the only time that Robert got her pregnant, Jaime quickly found a woman who performed an abortion on her.
She drank some sort of tea, didn't she? Like moonshadow tea, I think.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Farm Ur-Ted,

"Tansy Tea".
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Don't know who edits this show, but it seems they think Varys can move very quickly. They had him in three consecutive scenes in completely different parts of the castle, heh.

I'm beginning to suspect that Sansa can't act very well, which will be unfortunate later.

Why do all the new scenes they add in for exposition have to involve sex? (The Theon scene, used to let the audience know who he is.)

I don't think they're making it clear enough why Arya is running around chasing cats (no mention of "Syrio says..."). It just seems like she's messing about for no reason.

And is it just me, or are they trying to make Cersei a sympathetic character?
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

Murrin wrote:Don't know who edits this show, but it seems they think Varys can move very quickly. They had him in three consecutive scenes in completely different parts of the castle, heh.

I'm beginning to suspect that Sansa can't act very well, which will be unfortunate later.

Why do all the new scenes they add in for exposition have to involve sex? (The Theon scene, used to let the audience know who he is.)

I don't think they're making it clear enough why Arya is running around chasing cats (no mention of "Syrio says..."). It just seems like she's messing about for no reason.

And is it just me, or are they trying to make Cersei a sympathetic character?

i'm reserving judgement on sansa but she is, in my opionion, the prettiest of all the female roles. she is one of the few cast that actually look like my minds' eye characters. (ok, tyrion looks like a dwarf but other than that...)
so i'm going to give her every latitude to get better. actually, in the books, i really couldn't stand her for a very long time...the character gets better in the books so i'm thinking that we'll *see* that transition down the road as events unfold. :cross:

yeah, thought the same thing about the theon scene. i'm all like...GROSS!! :lol:

actually i thought that arya mentioned in the episode before that the next thing she was going to do was chase cats. not this episode but last week's episode. i could be just remembering the book tho.
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I agree about Cersei. She's far too nice in this story. I'm also sad to see that Jamie isn't given enough screen time.

I was also considerably disappointed in the sky cell. It was a very large room but I recall it being extemely small and slanted toward the drop so that the person in the cell could never rest for fear of sliding down and off the cliff.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The whole design of the Eyrie is off. It's a huge round spire with a narrow stone bridge leading to it in the series, when it should be a keep built right on the side of the largest mountain in the Seven Kingdoms, with entrance by a tiny trail up the cliff.

Just the existence of a stone spire like that seems implausible.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I have my little quibbles about this or that but I'm still loving the series.

Another thing I don't recall - I hadn't realized (or don't remember) the Knight of flowers and Renly being lovers.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It was rumour and implication in the books, not explicit. GRRM did confirm it at some point.

When I saw them making eyes at each other at the tournament I thought maybe the show had decided to hint at it, didn't expect the full blown scene later. Though I think they may be kind of stupid, since there's no way Loras could visit Renly in his apartments in the Red Keep and have noone suspect what's going on.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Last episode, they said Arya was to chase a cat for her swordsmanship classes.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

caamora wrote:I agree about Cersei. She's far too nice in this story.
Yes but having read the books, you know what's coming soon. For people who haven't read the books, people turning nice/nasty will have a bigger impact.
Also, they may be downplaying her a bit for now, seeing as there are already so many characters who may or may not be trusted, etc.

Oh and as far as the nudity is concerned: even as someone from Europe, where we are not as hysterical and prudish as in the US, I think they're overdoing it. I understand the need for a visual break between bearded guys sitting and talking, but the Theon sex scene was just useless.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah. They had two different scenes in the episode dedicated to establishing who Theon is, when they could have just rolled the scant extra information from the second in with the earlier Bran scene.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I don't even remember much of Theon in AGoT. Did they take his sex scene from the beginning of ACoK and put it in season 1, just to show that side of his character?
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I thought they invented it wholesale, but maybe you're right, there was a scene like that on a boat at the start of aCoK.

The reason for it, though, seemed to be to point out his status in Winterfell (hostage of the Starks after Greyjoy's rebellion).
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

caamora wrote:I have my little quibbles about this or that but I'm still loving the series.
Same here. :biggrin: One of my pet peeves is the lack of head protection in the harsh winter of the Wall. I keep grumbling under my breath, "Put a damn hat on; your brains will freeze!" whenever someone stands in the bitter wind, swathed in a mountain of furs, but yet neglecting one of the most important pieces of winter clothing.

This coming from someone living a stone's throw away from the Arctic Circle, accustomed to up to five-six months of permanent snow and over -25C frost for weeks on end. ;)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Zorm wrote:
caamora wrote:I have my little quibbles about this or that but I'm still loving the series.
Same here. :biggrin: One of my pet peeves is the lack of head protection in the harsh winter of the Wall. I keep grumbling under my breath, "Put a damn hat on; your brains will freeze!" whenever someone stands in the bitter wind, swathed in a mountain of furs, but yet neglecting one of the most important pieces of winter clothing.

This coming from someone living a stone's throw away from the Arctic Circle, accustomed to up to five-six months of permanent snow and over -25C frost for weeks on end. ;)
In Westeros, people are burn with thick, furry, well insulated skulls :biggrin:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”