Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

What a pathetic excuse for a king's hunting party. Two men, a squire and a guard? It's like they didn't even bother trying.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Murrin wrote:What a pathetic excuse for a king's hunting party. Two men, a squire and a guard? It's like they didn't even bother trying.
Those are just the people you see, not the secret king guard hiding in the trees and bushes :P

I imagine, though, they're just trying to break some fantasy tropes... since I hear Ned is a better swordsman in the show than in the books.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Besides the fact that it came across as nothing more strongly than a scene in a television show (and possibly one added at short notice to fill time, given the lack of effort employed), it also made Renly look like a whiny idiot, and served no real purpose in the episode.

As to breaking tropes, if they had any interesting in doing something original they would have stuck closer to the books in certain areas.

Like having the moon door as a hole in the ground rather than a door in the wall, and having the duel take place around it: just the typical attempt to introduce jeopardy, we're all so familiar with it in modern TV and film we barely notice it.

Think about that. They thought a duel to the death needed added jeopardy.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Murrin wrote:Besides the fact that it came across as nothing more strongly than a scene in a television show (and possibly one added at short notice to fill time, given the lack of effort employed), it also made Renly look like a whiny idiot, and served no real purpose in the episode.

As to breaking tropes, if they had any interesting in doing something original they would have stuck closer to the books in certain areas.

Like having the moon door as a hole in the ground rather than a door in the wall, and having the duel take place around it: just the typical attempt to introduce jeopardy, we're all so familiar with it in modern TV and film we barely notice it.

Think about that. They thought a duel to the death needed added jeopardy.
Sure, the hole was a bit excessive, but that chick was crazy. I also viewed it in connection with her "you fought with no honor" remark... clearly there was a form in mind when they opened up the portal, but the mercenary didn't care to follow it, except as maybe an afterthought to emphasis his victory. More importantly, law is not based on 'honor'... it's kinda an observation that it's not the honorable that can benefit from law, but the dishonorable who are able to manipulate it.

And are you implying that Reny isn't a whiny idiot? :P
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Murrin went to whine class with Renly. :P. I really think if an unpleased fan were able to tweak this series it would be more flop-tastic than Stephen King's Shining mini-series. Sometimes slovenly following everything in the book just does not work on television and does nothing more than weigh and stretch the narrative. Besides; so far most scenes/exchanges have been remarkably faithful.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I wasn't saying they should follow the books to the letter. I'm saying it was an unnecessary and poorly executed scene, objectively, as a television viewer.

I'm not going to slavishly praise the Game of Thrones series just because it could have been much worse. When they make mistakes (and the mistakes have been small, I haven't claimed otherwise), I'll call them out on it.

I'll praise Farscape to high heaven but you'll never get me to agree that "Scratch 'n Sniff" was a good episode.

And because people will go ot of their way to proclaim the realism and grittiness of this series, I'm going to feel free to point out where they bow to tired old TV tropes.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Murrin wrote:I wasn't saying they should follow the books to the letter. I'm saying it was an unnecessary and poorly executed scene, objectively, as a television viewer.
Eh. I thought it was well done dramatically, since it illustrated the past of the Seven Kingdoms (which Robert was so praising, despite the wars and Mad King), as well as the tension he has with his brothers (Renly in particular there). I do agree I imagined the hunting party larger but in the end I really can't be bothered when so much else is well done.

As for where the Moon Door was...long as it's not the ceiling. :lol:
Murrin wrote:I'm not going to slavishly praise the Game of Thrones series just because it could have been much worse.
So it's either criticize it or we're deluding ourselves? I slavishly love this series. Sure it's not perfect but I'm really enjoying it and anxiously await each new episode.
Murrin wrote:And because people will go ot of their way to proclaim the realism and grittiness of this series, I'm going to feel free to point out where they bow to tired old TV tropes.
Sounds like a boring job. :lol: I personally don't watch the series for any perceived realism, since it's a fantasy adaptation. Sure it's low fantasy, but the catching bait for most of us here I believe would be the characters and their intrigue. Plus Martin does write a hell of a story, and this adaptation reminds me of how great he is with dialogue as well.

Gritty and realistic...hm no. I'll agree with you there. The characters are just too larger-than-life. Though I will say compared to most fantasies its tone has more of an adult edge. Still; it's not as rough-riding as, say, HBO's Rome.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Lord Foul wrote:Murrin went to whine class with Renly. :P. I really think if an unpleased fan were able to tweak this series it would be more flop-tastic than Stephen King's Shining mini-series. Sometimes slovenly following everything in the book just does not work on television and does nothing more than weigh and stretch the narrative. Besides; so far most scenes/exchanges have been remarkably faithful.
I agree with you here - they are keeping the gist/spirit of the story and molding it to fit the TV format. They are doing a great job so far. Better than I ever expected from such a complex story.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I really liked tonight's episode seems like everything finally came together-just by mentioning Cities and places even the unread could begin to grasp just how big this world is...I was a tad worried about the series, but not now.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I, too, am thoroughly enjoying the series. No, it isn't perfect and I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't read the books (although some people have mentioned buying the books now). But, I look forward to each Sunday night and so far, I think they are doing a good job.
The King has one more move.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Much, much better than most of the crap on, my other two shows are gone for the season and OMG Oprah is gone 4-ev-a! 8O 8O 8O 8O :mrgreen: (Treme looks interesting tho...)
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

well i don't know about anyone else but...do we HAVE to have a seriously graphic sexual encounter EVERY single episode??? i mean really.
i'm no prude but come on...that whole scene in littlefinger's quarters...yeesh. certainly the scene had a purpose (tho i couldn't tell you exactly what it was, i just know littlefinger was talking), and certainly the ladies were very good at what they were doing but it just struck me
as soooo unnecessary and highly distracting! LOL!! i have no earthly idea what littlefinger was goin on about in that scene. :lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

lucimay wrote:i have no earthly idea what littlefinger was goin on about in that scene. :lol:
Oh good, I'm not the only one then :)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I swear, they have no wardrobe for Roze (I think that's the whore's name).
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I thought the whole point about Littlefinger's monologue was to drive home the lifelong lunatic obsession he has for Catelyn Stark.

dw
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yes Dukkha that was it. "drive home" *snicker* :P :P :P
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Yes, that's the impression I got too. It gives us a chance to know Littlefinger's story and his obsession with Cat.

But, when he turned around during that scene, it looked like he had a woody! Did anyone else see that? LOL.

But, there is also a lot of sex in the books, I thought, so I'm not that surprised.
The King has one more move.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

There's nowhere near as much sex in the books as in this series.

And though it was made clear that Petyr owned a lot of brothels, I doubt in the books he would ever have considered living in one of them.
Worm of Despite
Lord

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:I thought the whole point about Littlefinger's monologue was to drive home the lifelong lunatic obsession he has for Catelyn Stark.

dw
And the fact he's one of the main (if not biggest) manipulator in the entire story. It really showed his spite for the Starks and the fact he's not a high lord who could get Catelyn. He feels inferior House-wise and physical-wise, I'm sure. So lots of Despite in him. ;)

Makes me wonder what he really plans with Sansa, but I think his obsession, no matter how good he is at the political intrigue, will be his downfall.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”