A Game of Thrones

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

A Game of Thrones

Post by Harbinger »

Saw the first episode over the weekend. Pretty cool. Realized it was from some book I read many years ago. The white walkers are coming.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Re: A Game of Thrones

Post by SerScot »

Harbinger,
Harbinger wrote:Saw the first episode over the weekend. Pretty cool. Realized it was from some book I read many years ago. The white walkers are coming.
"The Others" man "The Others". The others take the hindmost.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

The actor playing Tyrion is very lucky to have just a juicy role.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I like the guy they cast for Tyrion. Of course, he's nowhere near as Impish and malformed as I imagined him in the book, but such things are petty details.

The third episode is the best yet, and I've rarely been more excited when Sunday night rolls around!
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Peter Dinklage is "prettier" than I imagined Tyrion when reading the books - but he's nailed the character in every other way. All the casting is great, but that one in particular worked out very well.
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

If you like Peter Dinklage, I reccomend the Station Agent. Spectacular! Want to see his other stuff.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Holsety wrote:If you like Peter Dinklage, I reccomend the Station Agent. Spectacular! Want to see his other stuff.
also 13 Moons.

i have not read the source material, but have enjoyed it so far. little lost at times because i catch it when i can. the guy playing the viking type chief is also excellent. the language is well done that he speaks.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Watched this entire series with on demand the other day. It may be the best HBO series ever. I'm awaiting season two with breathless anticipation.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

It comes out on Blu-ray next week. Is it worth $40? I love the books, btw. I just started ADWD.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

We've never read the books, but we've really enjoyed the serial. Just wish it had more episodes per series. The acting is good, the effects and sets are very nice.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Thanks. How many episodes?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Zarathustra wrote:Thanks. How many episodes?
...eightish? Essentially, it's the same as the book. If you've read the book, you've seen the show, if you've seen the show, you've read the book. I suppose it's worth a watch, but I wouldn't spend $40 on it.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The season is 10 episodes.
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

I watched Season 1 when it came out. Then I read the books, (which helped tremendously, as they so often name someone and you don't see him for a show and a half, then bring him back and you are to know that he was mentioned earlier).

I am in the middle of book 4 and enjoying every page.

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Zarathustra wrote:It comes out on Blu-ray next week. Is it worth $40? I love the books, btw. I just started ADWD.
The visuals are nice, along the same lines as "Rome" if you've seen that series, possibly even more striking. I anticipate that I will buy the Bluray at some point. But the story and the acting is the real star of the show. That would come across at low res.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Ron Burgunihilo wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:It comes out on Blu-ray next week. Is it worth $40? I love the books, btw. I just started ADWD.
The visuals are nice, along the same lines as "Rome" if you've seen that series, possibly even more striking. I anticipate that I will buy the Bluray at some point. But the story and the acting is the real star of the show. That would come across at low res.
I think the story was too HBO-ized. But that's just my opinion, it was still entertaining.

And before everyone starts thinking I only have bad things to say about the show, I'll agree with everyone that the acting is fan-f*&*ing-tastic.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

No, I get what you are saying, Orlion. While much of the story is spot on for the books, there are scenes where you go, '¿Como?' Renly's shaving scene, for instance. Where did that come from? Not the book (at least the 3.5 that I have read). A bit of pandering, perhaps.

However, I have been delighted with the story in both forms. And the acting is supurb. I will be curious to see how they handle book two. Only a few more weeks until April 1st when the next book comes to HBO.

Doc
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

DoctorGamgee wrote:No, I get what you are saying, Orlion. While much of the story is spot on for the books, there are scenes where you go, '¿Como?' Renly's shaving scene, for instance. Where did that come from? Not the book (at least the 3.5 that I have read). A bit of pandering, perhaps.

However, I have been delighted with the story in both forms. And the acting is supurb. I will be curious to see how they handle book two. Only a few more weeks until April 1st when the next book comes to HBO.

Doc
That is exactly the scene I was thinking of!
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I streamed the first episode, to make sure it was something my wife would like to watch with me (otherwise, I'm content just to read the books ... watching should be a group activity, imo). So we're going to buy the Blu-ray today.

My wife is way too good at guessing exactly what's going to happen. I mean, end of the book kind of stuff. Watching the actors, I think they might be giving away too much with their expressions. Also, that scene with Jon Arryn's body and the Lannisters at the beginning may have been too revealing. Or maybe Ki is just a lot better than me at guessing the end.

The guy playing Tyrion would have been a better choice if I hadn't recently seen him on a 30 Rock rerun. Shouldn't he be uglier? The rest of the actors/actresses seem fine. Viserys is great. Ned is great. I can't wait to see the kids in action, especially Arya. I have no idea how that little girl is going to pull off her character. I hope she's a lot better than she seems now.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Watched it last week and really liked it; the guy in the video shop described it as "The Sopranos do Dungeons and Dragons" and that pretty much says it! :lol:
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"

Return to “TV Shows”