Bin Laden has been killed

Archive From The 'Tank
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Bin Laden has been killed

Post by SerScot »

Pres. Obama confirms it in an address to the nation late yesterday. Will this have any impact on the Wars?
Last edited by SerScot on Mon May 02, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I just read that on the ABC news site.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Obama hasn't announced it yet, but it is confirmed and we have his body. And we did it.

I have a source that says we did it last week. Let's see what they say on the news when Obama speaks.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Harbinger wrote:Obama hasn't announced it yet, but it is confirmed and we have his body. And we did it.

I have a source that says we did it last week. Let's see what they say on the news when Obama speaks.
It will be interesting to see the ramification of this worldwide, given that it happened in Pakistan, and to see how the Middle East reacts.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

To use Waddley's joke: Obama's not releasing Bin Laden's death certificate :lol:
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

He was killed by a "small team" of operatives. Good work, Special Forces. My grandfather, an alumnus, is very proud tonight.

Glad to clear your headache, Usama. Any more mass-murdering maniacs need help, please step up.

Good bless America.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm sure Trump is proud that it aired during his time slot but will want to examine the body before making any detailed statements on the matter. (I kid. Sorry, these jokes practically write themselves)

Seriously, though, good job on our guys. I was never sure we'd actually do it, or at least know if we did. I'd stand in line to shake the hands of the guys who probably never have to buy another drink in their lives.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Syl wrote:I'd stand in line to shake the hands of the guys who probably never have to buy another drink in their lives.
One other time they got closest to killing Usama it was Delta Force, but the Arab local chiefs started debating on attacking him or not and he rode out while they debated. So yeah...most likely Delta Force.

If they disclose their identities (yeah right) they would get infinite girlfriends.
Loremaster wrote:
Harbinger wrote:Obama hasn't announced it yet, but it is confirmed and we have his body. And we did it.

It will be interesting to see the ramification of this worldwide, given that it happened in Pakistan, and to see how the Middle East reacts.
The timing, actually, was great for him to die, since there's a myriad of problems and uprisings going on in the Middle-East. It would've been much easier for Al Qaeda to mobilize or react had this happened a year ago.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Looks like it was the SEALs. Go Navy!
U.S. Navy Seals were involved in mission that killed Osama bin Laden, a senior defense official said.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

The location of the attack was deep inside Pakistan. I sincerely hope that the Pakistani "Man on the street" is as supportive of our attack as Pres. Obama claims the Pakistani Government was. An "Arab Spring" uprising against the current government of Pakistan would be quite the headache for the Obama Administration regardless of the disposition of Osama.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Tjol »

I hope India gets full title to Kashmir, now that it's pretty clear Pakistan was harboring Osama. They've shown what side they're on. Time for a covert strike on Pakistan's nuclear sites for good measure.
"Humanity indisputably progresses, but neither uniformly nor everywhere"--Regine Pernoud

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

BAM! USA wins! :D :D :mgun:

Enjoy your virgins Bin Laden; Though America has also screwed you over on that front as well... they created World of Warcraft just to make your virgin filled paradise hell.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256890

USA USA USA!!!! :yourock: :letsparty:
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I hope he's actually dead !! Although I think it's a disgrace that they decided to accord him his Muslim 'rights' by strangely enough burying him at sea within 24 hours of being killed. They could have let him rot on a livecam for a year for all I care.

And when did his name change to Usama? It was always Osama. The same applies to Gadaffi - he seems to have a number of different names all of asudden. What's up with that?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Could there be fallout from the fact that the US did not share any of their intelligence with Pakistan before performing a raid inside their country? They already seem to get a bit of flak whenever the operations in Afghanistan spill over the border.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Vain wrote:And when did his name change to Usama? It was always Osama. The same applies to Gadaffi - he seems to have a number of different names all of asudden. What's up with that?
There is no universally accepted standard in the West for transliterating Arabic words and names into English, so bin Laden's name is spelled in many different ways. The version translation most often used by English-language mass media is Osama bin Laden. Most American government agencies, including the FBI and CIA, use either "Usama bin Laden" or "Usama bin Ladin", both of which are often abbreviated to UBL. Less common renderings include "Ussamah Bin Ladin" and "Oussama Ben Laden" (French-language mass media). The last two words of the name can also be found as "Binladen" or (as used by his family in the West) "Binladin". The spelling with "o" and "e" comes from a Persian-influenced pronunciation used in Afghanistan where he lived for a long time.

Strictly speaking, Arabic linguistic conventions dictate that he be referred to as "Osama" or "Osama bin Laden", not "bin Laden", as "Bin Laden" is not used as a surname in the Western manner, but simply as part of his name, which in its long form means "Osama, son of Mohammed, son of 'Awad, son of Laden". Still, "bin Laden" has become nearly universal in Western references to him.

Osama bin Laden's admirers commonly use several aliases and nicknames, including the Prince/Al-Amir, the Sheikh, Abu Abdallah, Sheikh Al-Mujahid, the Lion Sheik,[9] the Director.[10]
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Murrin wrote:Could there be fallout from the fact that the US did not share any of their intelligence with Pakistan before performing a raid inside their country? They already seem to get a bit of flak whenever the operations in Afghanistan spill over the border.

I suspect NOT sharing it with Pakistan was how it was actually accomplished.....if of course it was: there's not much chance of habeas corpus now is there! One could almost believe the timing to be............ :?
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

finn,
finn wrote:
Murrin wrote:Could there be fallout from the fact that the US did not share any of their intelligence with Pakistan before performing a raid inside their country? They already seem to get a bit of flak whenever the operations in Afghanistan spill over the border.

I suspect NOT sharing it with Pakistan was how it was actually accomplished.....if of course it was: there's not much chance of habeas corpus now is there! One could almost believe the timing to be............ :?
In the US at least habeas corpus is the right of an individual to be presented with reasons they have been detained or go free, not the power of the State to demand Bob appear in Court.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

This is a historic military victory for America. Well done Obama, and all personnel involved. While we're celebrating this victory, let's remember to give credit where credit is due:
The killing of Osama bin Laden seemed to come out of nowhere, but officials have reportedly been on the terror leader’s trail for over four years—before President Obama “directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda,” that is. And according to the Washington Examiner, it was intelligence gleaned from a Guantanamo Bay detainee over four years ago that ended up leading to his whereabouts:

Some time after Sept. 11, detainees held by the U.S. told interrogators about a man believed to work as a courier for bin Laden, senior administration officials said. The man was described by detainees as a protégé of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and “one of the few Al Qaeda couriers trusted by bin laden.” Initially, intelligence officials only had the man’s nickname, but they discovered his real name four years ago. Two years ago, intelligence officials began to identify areas of Pakistan where the courier and his brother operated, and the great security precautions the two men took aroused U.S. suspicions.

If it wasn’t for Guantanamo Bay, it seems highly unlikely that the government would have been able to uncover this information. We can thank the counterterrorism policies put in place by the Bush administration—and President Obama’s savvy decision to continue them—for leading intelligence officials to bin Laden.
www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/05/02/g ... bin-laden/

Thanks to interrogations at Gitmo, we got the intelligence which led to UBL. Hopefully, we can finally end the debate on the value of aggressively pursuing the war on terror in this manner. I'm glad that it was Obama who put this information to use, so that perhaps the people who were attacking Bush during this period might feel a little more open to such aggressive techniques going forward, and not repeat our naivete in the future.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I wish our forces could have killed the bastard twice. Congrats to President Obama and to the Navy Seals. The Seal who pulled the trigger should get the Medal of Honor.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

SerScot wrote:finn,
finn wrote:

In the US at least habeas corpus is the right of an individual to be presented with reasons they have been detained or go free, not the power of the State to demand Bob appear in Court.
It means: "you have the body".

In law it has lent itself to mean a petition for a person (body) to be brought before a court to determine if there is lawful cause to detain them.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"

Return to “Coercri”