Skurj (art) [updated]

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Skurj (art) [updated]

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Another work-in-progress piece (the Giants vs skurj scene), started some weeks back. Should finish the rest, but my inspiration often bounces around like a horde of kangaroos in crack. :confused:

Some artistic license here and there. Have drawn dragon-ish/serpent-ish creatures probably only twice-thrice in my whole life, which is why this piece has become particularly difficult. However, since I've seen only a handful of 3rd chrons art so far, was compelled to draw something.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed May 08, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Whoah, that's impressive. I especially like that you've added the details like the pictures on the belts and the others of that kind.

Not sure, The First and Second Chronicles Gallery is probably taking that of the 3rd already, perhaps with spoiler warnings, at least I believe I've seen some there. This forum is for discussions mainly, though I may be wrong with that.
A role-player, beware
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

wow - very impressive. the only thing i would add is maybe an open mouthed expression on the fighter on the far left - as if he were calling on his god(s) for strength.

otherwise - again, wow! very nice detail work. esp the swords and armor. look forward to seeing what colors you use.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks! :biggrin:
Effaeldm wrote: Not sure, The First and Second Chronicles Gallery is probably taking that of the 3rd already, perhaps with spoiler warnings, at least I believe I've seen some there. This forum is for discussions mainly, though I may be wrong with that.

Well, I've seen at least Kevin164's art in this forum, so.... But a mod probably can move this thread into the artsy place over yon, if they see fit to do so (And maybe tell me where to insert spoiler warnings? The title?).
sgt.null wrote:the only thing i would add is maybe an open mouthed expression on the fighter on the far left - as if he were calling on his god(s) for strength.
Ah, my 'fair' Giantesses...unfortunately I can't imagine them appearing very "traditionally feminine", especially when clad in heavy armor--but they're all ladies. :biggrin: :P My left or their left? I gather you refer to the one hacking at the skurj's trunk, but Frostheart's (well, for some reason I imagined it was she who tore the heart out) expression probably would indeed appear more dramatic with an open-mouthed grimace.
sgt.null wrote:esp the swords and armor. look forward to seeing what colors you use.
The armor is a bit of a trade-off...SRD uses the word 'cataphract' which refers to scale armor, but from the descriptions it seems the ladies wear breastplates somewhat akin to the two-part stone clump I originally slapped to the First...agh, the dilemmas of interpretation. Especially when SO few references exist. Every other fantasy series comes with these handy companion volumes--"The Art of A Song of Ice and Fire", to name one. SRD--nothing, and even the Atlas of the Land is out of print/really difficult to obtain. :(

Not sure about the color scheme yet. Probably something from the darker end of the spectrum. I'm trying to figure out whether I might somehow speed up my coloring processes; I'm infamously slow, which is why I often solely end up shading B/W art and leaving it at that.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

I think the armor is fine
She heard the Giant howl - in fury: not in pain. Now she discerned that he was armored in stone. He wore a cataphract of granite slabs which had been fused together by some Giantish lore. Briefly the stone protected him.
They arrived too abruptly to be counted. Linden recognized only that they were all women; that they, too, wore stone armor and brandished longswords; and that Galt was among them.
Abruptly Anele spoke from the cradle of Coldspray's armor. Stroking the rock, he murmured. "This stone is unaware that Kevin's Watch has fallen. The knowledge is too recent-and too far removed. The stone believes. It will hold, ignorant of ruin."
With Liand and Pahni, Linden stared at the old man. She wanted him to say more-and to say it so that she could understand him. Seek deep rock. Only there the memory remains. But he ignored her yearning. Nestled in the cataphract, he lapsed into incoherence again.
Also, I believe the interpretation is in the imagination of the one thinking on the words.

And only shading can look good. Though if I was making something like this, I'd likely try to apply some stone texture, perhaps like the marble and granite ones.
A role-player, beware
Khazduk
Woodhelvennin

Post by Khazduk »

Again, great work, Zorm. :)

Though for some reason, I see the skurj as a bit more "faceless" than you have depicted here. Probably it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but I imagine them looking a lot like the sandworms of Dune. But I'm sure there's plenty of evidence in the text to prove me wrong. :)
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

I imagined them pretty faceless as well - even more like living streams of lava.

Made something like that kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=827368#827368

And, as I said above, it's everyone's right to imagine anything in any way.

By the way, maybe I have a pretty unusual argument for the discussion about reading the 3rd Chrons or not, not to spoil the image built before. That's how I imagine the way LF looks - doesn't have much in common with anything written)
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

sorry for the gender confusion - i like the idea of an art book to be a companion piece to the Chronicles.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Thanks, everyone. :)
Effaeldm wrote:And only shading can look good. Though if I was making something like this, I'd likely try to apply some stone texture, perhaps like the marble and granite ones.
I usually do exactly that if I resort to plain shading--have a fair collection of stone textures I've photographed over the years. However, I'll likely try to use full colors with this one; adds quite much more depth to the action.
Khazduk wrote:Though for some reason, I see the skurj as a bit more "faceless" than you have depicted here. Probably it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but I imagine them looking a lot like the sandworms of Dune.
Effaeldm wrote:I imagined them pretty faceless as well - even more like living streams of lava.
Made something like that kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=827368#827368
Heh, my mind concocted this image of eyeless, serpentine dragons with stone scales and magma for blood. It's always interesting to hear other interpretations. :) Your version certainly does picture them like living lava. :D
My FR is unreachable, probably hiding somewhere beneath a stack of tomes written in odd, barbaric gibberish, but I'll probably get around fishing for the quotes that gave me this peculiar impression (one probably was the Giantish name 'were-menhir'). Granted, mine was slightly less defined at the beginning, but one might say I'm rather obsessed with detail...
sgt.null wrote:sorry for the gender confusion - i like the idea of an art book to be a companion piece to the Chronicles.
No worries. :biggrin: Bikini armor would leave no room for doubt, but it doesn't actually protect much in a real fight. ;)
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

but bikini armor looks hawt!!! :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

sgt.null wrote:but bikini armor looks hawt!!! :)
And is really practical... for the ladies with intents quite different from fighting :biggrin:
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

or teen fanboys with different intents than enjoying prose...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Llyns_Lillianrill
Servant of the Land

Post by Llyns_Lillianrill »

I am a new member but a longtime fan of the Covenant series and I have to say I love your depiction of the Giants. This is exactly as I had imagined them, wish I was a Swordmain :)
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Welcome to the Watch, Llyns_Lillianrill, particularly glad to see someone with interest in arts. New to the watch usually greet here kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3880 And you have an interesting name, maybe you'd like to explain how you've come up with the idea? kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=408
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Effaeldm wrote:Welcome to the Watch, Llyns_Lillianrill, particularly glad to see someone with interest in arts. New to the watch usually greet here kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3880 And you have an interesting name, maybe you'd like to explain how you've come up with the idea? kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=408
Effaeldm, you're a real all-rounder. :) Not only are you giving Sgt Null a run for his money in Mallory's ( 8O ) you seem to be contending for Menolly's title of Unofficial Concierge :P .
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Zorm - you should hear Damelon laugh. as has been pointed out it is a Giant's laugh. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Effaeldm wrote:
sgt.null wrote:but bikini armor looks hawt!!! :)
And is really practical... for the ladies with intents quite different from fighting :biggrin:
:biggrin: :twisted:

It may indeed appear smexyhawt about a second before the beast disembowels the heroine, thanks to a complete lack of protection around vital organs, but thereafter.... So many fantasy artists seem to forget that the skin of women isn't formed of flint, and that two stamps and a piece of dental floss do not form a mystical energy field capable of deflecting sword strokes.
Fanservice art is another matter altogether, but it need not contain such hazards. ;)

On that note, I need to start drawing more male giants, who, with their bulky frames and hands the size of small sleds make these fatal femmes appear fairly slim. :wink:
Llyns_Lillianrill wrote:I am a new member but a longtime fan of the Covenant series and I have to say I love your depiction of the Giants. This is exactly as I had imagined them, wish I was a Swordmain :)
Thanks, glad to hear you like 'em. :D
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Just wanted to chime in and say, stick with the armor the way you're going, Zorm. A gentleman (or gentlegiant) appreciates something left to the imagination. Especially when what is left to the imagination is a lady muscled like an oak tree. :P

As for the skurj: sure, it has no eyes. So why do you shape it's head with a place for eyes to be? Just something to think about. (like)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

wayfriend wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say, stick with the armor the way you're going, Zorm. A gentleman (or gentlegiant) appreciates something left to the imagination. Especially when what is left to the imagination is a lady muscled like an oak tree. :P

As for the skurj: sure, it has no eyes. So why do you shape it's head with a place for eyes to be? Just something to think about. (like)
:biggrin: :P

I'm definitely not changing the cataphracts. After adjusting the shoulder guards a bit, I'm finally happy with the result. I've also received some positive feedback at Deviantart for drawing female armor that actually protects its wearer, so there's no downgrading back to a chainmail G-string. XD (Haha, they apparently even have special groups for art featuring women in proper armor over yon site.)

As for the skurj...*ahem*.... My initial thought while starting to draw the bugger was that I wouldn't want to mimic Star Wars or Dune too much. :lol: Also, I could blame those damn anime influences...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Be sure to know I only mentioned it since you asked for suggestions. I think any resemblence to sandworms is more Donaldson's fault than yours. But he does mention them having jaws and skulls IIRC, so they are probably more reminiscent of this than of sandworms. Anyway: you have to think about how form matches function - these things push their faces through the ground, chew rock for breakfast. I think that they really are more worm in the earthworm sense than worm in the Smaug sense.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”