Vain

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

marineguy
Ramen

Vain

Post by marineguy »

Last edited by marineguy on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
You judge too quickly giant
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Wow- sinister! Way more disturbing that I pictured Vain (taller, too), but I love it!

(Edit: just occurred that you make him look like a humanoid ur-Vile, whereas I always pictured him looking pretty normal apart from being black all over)
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Cambo wrote:Wow- sinister! Way more disturbing that I pictured Vain (taller, too), but I love it!

(Edit: just occurred that you make him look like a humanoid ur-Vile, whereas I always pictured him looking pretty normal apart from being black all over)
Thanks, can;t find too much about it. Can you find a description?

The thing I remember is the smile was disturbing throughout even when they were in trouble. He does look more human than urvile to me at least, doesn't he?
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Some :x made off with my copy of the Second Chronicles. But from what I remember, the descriptions are pretty open ended (though I seem to remember his teeth were black as well?) As for the ur-Vile/human, the body is very human, but that face is straight up demonic! :biggrin:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Awesome Marine Guy, also taller than I envisioned.

I don't think it says anything in the text, but, for some reason, I always envision Vain as being a short thing, like a Tar baby. I like your pic much better than I've envisioned (especially since, like I said, I don't know why I always pictured him to only be about 3 or 4 feet tall)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

This was pretty much exactly what I pictured-- naked too, even though he was supposed to be wearing a grey tunic.
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Very good work - I've envisioned differently, but I think that's one of the upsides of art - the possibility to see other views.
A role-player, beware
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Lord Zombiac wrote:This was pretty much exactly what I pictured-- naked too, even though he was supposed to be wearing a grey tunic.
I recall something too. You say a gray tunic? Can you find the paragraph anywhere?
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

sindatur wrote:Awesome Marine Guy, also taller than I envisioned.

I don't think it says anything in the text, but, for some reason, I always envision Vain as being a short thing, like a Tar baby. I like your pic much better than I've envisioned (especially since, like I said, I don't know why I always pictured him to only be about 3 or 4 feet tall)
If standing next to someone, he wouldn't be tall at all. He is long bodied and legged and it gives the illusion of being tall when by itself. I'm deciding which scene do next with him where he is with someone. I'm tempted to do a scene with him on board the ship. There are many good scenes I can do. Any suggestions people?
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Cambo wrote:Some :x made off with my copy of the Second Chronicles. But from what I remember, the descriptions are pretty open ended (though I seem to remember his teeth were black as well?) As for the ur-Vile/human, the body is very human, but that face is straight up demonic! :biggrin:
I made him with his teeth a very, very dark gray to add some contrast when he smiled. the way the lighting hit him here with the reflection, they came up lighter. I put in the reflection degree, that's how I got the skin to reflect and the teeth came up like this.

For some reason, I never pictured him very human in the face. That's why I'm hoping you guys can dig something up in all the books. Even in the last series (which I have not read yet) maybe a past reference has come up....
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Found this by "wayfriend"

"In The Wounded Land was wrote:
He wore a short gray tunic, and under it all his skin from head to foot was as black as the gaps between the stars. His form was perfectly shaped and strong; but his hair was black, his teeth and gums were black, his pupilless eyes were pure midnight."

Guess it's back to the drawing board.....
marineguy
Ramen

update version

Post by marineguy »

more human, hair and tunic
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

This is good) Though maybe you can leave the first variant as well? It was interesting itself,and also to compare.
A role-player, beware
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Holy crap, his baleful grin gave me a sudden chill. XD Awesome; with my monitor settings, it's like staring into a black skull. That's definitely the expression Pitchwife would've described as 'trying to ravish the maidenhood of our foremast'. :biggrin:

EDIT: You were asking for scene suggestions, perhaps that one from TOT? :) Don't think anyone's done it hitherto.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yeah, just search wayfriend with a Chronicles keyword and you'll get any answer you need-flipping encyclopedia! :roll: :wink: 8) :P

I LOVE Vain, can't wait to see the finished project.
fall far and well Pilots!
Rotcod
Servant of the Land

Vain

Post by Rotcod »

Cool rendition.
I have read the 1st and 2nd Chronicles something like 9 times over the past 25 years or so and I have always pictured Vain as looking like Twiki from Buck Rogers. But black of course. Don't ask me why.Image
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to our forum, Rotcod. I suggest introducing yourself over in the Summonsing forum, so we can fawn over our new member properly.
Mick
Servant of the Land

Post by Mick »

I wish I could draw images as good as this!

I imagined Vains' posture to be stooping forwards and having an immovable stance with feet firmly planted to the ground and arms ready for action. Similar to the old boxer Jake LaMotta (Raging Bull) but less pronounced.

I think if a picture of Vain could be brought to life (on paper), the one where he's 'observing' Findail concealed on-board the Drummond (Starfares Gem), with an expression of having power in excess to ravish the foremast, would be an awesome image.

The other distinct image I have of him is after Covenant 'commands' him, or perhaps later, tells him to kill anyone who attempts to pass them while they were fleeing. He has a gleeful look and rents the air with his arms as he's ripping bodies apart... and so on!
No matter how good you think you are at something, there's always someone out there better at it than you.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Psst: these aren't hand-drawn; marineguy uses a 3D rendering program. ;)

And he rendered just that Findail-ogling scene, after I spammed about it earlier. :lol:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21130

(Hoping he'd return; been absent from the board for a good while now.)

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”