Player Processed Pantheon

Moderator: Xar

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Player Processed Pantheon

Post by Fist and Faith »

I've txted a few, or a whole bunch, of you about this. Just a very basic idea.

-Two games running at once. Each game will have the same number of players. You can only play in one or the other, and which you are in will be randomly decided.

-The players of one game process turns for the other game. Further, the processing will be randomly decided each turn. You only process one character's results each turn, and you don't know whose results you'll be processing in any future turn. (We'll all read all submittals for the game we're processing, so we know if there's any interactions. If there are, the processors communicate to figure out how it all goes down.)

-Rules of processing will be clearly established, so it's both fair, and easy.

Any thoughts on this idea? Any interest? I know it's more work than many want to put in. I figure only the more rabid of us would be involved. Would likely end up two fairly small games. But if turns aren't processed, we only have ourselves to blame. And, really, it's only one turn's results each turn. Even just basic results, without Xar's flourish, would be great.

This also means Xar could even play!! And he wouldn't have to process this monstrous game all by his lonesome.

Frankly, I don't expect any more Pantheon out of you anyway, Xar. :lol: Major life changes underway, eh? Turn 19 Events were posted Aug 30th of last year, and Turn 20's Feb 2nd of this year. You see things lightening up for you any time soon??? Heh.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

1) It wouldn't work because of the need for full involvement of all players.

2) If people can't keep themselves from making out-of-character alliances and backdoor deals in Pantheon, what kind of corrupt crap will this system bring out, where players have the power to influence the outcome of each others games, and full knowledge of all behind-the-scenes going on in the game their friends are playing?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'll grant you #1. It would be two small games, and turns would still be way too slow for me. :lol:

#2? I don't think it could be worse than the ooc alliances and backdoor deals we currently have. After all, it's hard to trade favors if the person in the other game you're helping now might, theoretically, never process your turn. You certainly can't guess when they will, so can't know when to deliver your coup de grace.

And, really, the kind of cheating you're suggesting goes way beyond what's happened so far. I know and trust certain players in certain ways. Even if our domains don't naturally go together - like Forests and War, or Forests and Disease - there's nothing wrong with Forests and War/Disease not going after each other. Lore, Dorian, and Mont know and trust each other. The fact that alliances were flat-out impossible for at least the Void, and all-but for one with Ez's mindset, don't mean they couldn't do it in the game. It's impossible to remove the player from the game entirely. But that's all a far cry from, "Tell me what everybody does in the turns you process, and I'll tell you about the ones I process." That's not characters in a game acting a little, or even a lot, ooc because of the players. It's way beyond cheating, and I'll trust anyone who plays when they say they won't do that.

EDIT: The most extraordinary moment of all three Pantheon games was Calais becoming Vashitva. And it could not have happened without OOC between caam and Lore. Again, the player cannot be entirely removed from the game.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

It'd be nice. I just can't see it working.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I really don't see it happening, either. :lol: I just want to put all ideas out there that might get me some more Pantheon!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I'm too lazy. :lol:

--A
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And there we have it. :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Is there a way where we could have a Pantheon-esque game be group managed, instead of cross-managed?

Maybe some kind of random number generator to decide who starts where, and what each randomly placed city is (population, race, etc.).

So everybody posts everything they do, (so everyone else can see it), and then people vote on the outcomes? And I mean that we vote on what is the most reasonable outcome, not that we choose the player we like best. Perhaps the player who wants to do something can describe what outcome he wants. Then the one he's against (if there is one) describes why that might not happen. Others throw in suggestions as well (or reasons for why either of them might be wrong). Then we all vote.

It'd be maybe a bit cumbersome since EVERY action would take a few days of negotiations by the whole player community. But I bet we can still[/i] finish a turn in less than six months that way. And you can assume a pretty high level of player investment in the process.

There would need to be some honor system around keeping player knowledge different from character knowledge. But there couldn't be much in the way of player collusion.

Instead of the Pantheon, we call it the Senate. Fist can be the Prime Minister, which mostly means he can enforce the rules of etiquette between us all, but it wouldn't preclude him from also playing.

Return to “Pantheon”