Vain discovers Findail

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

marineguy
Ramen

Vain discovers Findail

Post by marineguy »

Last edited by marineguy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
You judge too quickly giant
marineguy
Ramen

Vain Closeup

Post by marineguy »

Last edited by marineguy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Oh, these are so good :)

And you did the background yourself as well? Maybe you could make something like a general view on a Dromond, please?
A role-player, beware
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Very nice indeed. I've always pictured Vain more Gorilla like and less humanoid.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Effaeldm wrote:Oh, these are so good :)

And you did the background yourself as well? Maybe you could make something like a general view on a Dromond, please?
I really wanted to but this particular "ship" is only a portion of a deck and can only be viewed from limited angles. I've included the original. Changing the textures from wood to stone for an entire ship would be nuts! Rope , barrels, door, torch, wheel, rail, lighting, shadows and anything else you see have to be added. This is the way the software works. Someone has to create it first. Things like fishing net, rope and other things you and I can think about that would be on board a ship haven't been added because I could not find them pre-made. It takes me a week to make a glass in "3D".

All clothing is the same way. Check out DAZ3D.com and you'll get an idea of how this is all generated. Do you tghink I at least got the "look and feel" with the limited items?

marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Cameraman Jenn wrote:Very nice indeed. I've always pictured Vain more Gorilla like and less humanoid.
and I always pictured him slim with ur-vile features and no clothing but in the book it clearly says;

Found this by "wayfriend"

"In The Wounded Land was wrote:
He wore a short gray tunic, and under it all his skin from head to foot was as black as the gaps between the stars. His form was perfectly shaped and strong; but his hair was black, his teeth and gums were black, his pupilless eyes were pure midnight."

It's pretty funny how we all see things differently with our "minds eye".[/i]
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

A bit too glossy

There can be various tones of black to define features.
Maybe looking at various people whos skin tone is extremely dark might give a perspective on how to define Vain.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Ur Dead wrote:A bit too glossy

There can be various tones of black to define features.
Maybe looking at various people whos skin tone is extremely dark might give a perspective on how to define Vain.
"his skin from head to foot was as black as the gaps between the stars. His form was perfectly shaped and strong; but his hair was black, his teeth and gums were black, his pupil less eyes were pure midnight."

It's probably the best description Donaldson gives to a character. Working in tropical environments while in the Marine Corps under 110 degree sun and sweat pouring down our bodies, we had people of all color shapes and sizes in our platoons. My platoon Sgt, SSgt. Johnson was as dark a man I have ever seen to this day. The 5:00 sun in the tropics reflected off of our sweating bodies.

He joked with us and told us this is why black people needed to use camouflage paint too. When he sweat, his skin shined very much like this in the dusk sun. Loading and unloading trucks and ships , we were down to our skivvies so take it from someone who knows. Live and learn
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Vain's expression looks just perfect for this. :D I like the dayspring-washed deck and sky also.

By the way, do you have existing character models for any of the crewmembers of Starfare's Gem (or any others besides Vain involved in that bit)? Just musing what the scene might look like with a handful of other people wondering about his reaction. :)
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

ZORM

I've been thinking about a multiple character image like Covenent a and Bannor fighting the urviles, I haven't fouind one yet. but actually, all of the characters you see are all the same model DAZ M3 (michael) except Foamfollower, he is the upgrade M4 (michael). The trick (and raw computer power) comes as you add more people, their cloth, their expression, their pose. The software has to remember everything on a character so when you position/pose them, it has to move the clothing to conform with their movement, the hair, the expression, all shadows regenerate, etc.

The more people you add, the more the computer has to remember. I have a quad-core w/8 gig of the fastest memory and after the ship, barrels, torch, banister, ships wheel, stone deck, vain , shadows, and all of his individual pose and 3 others, I bring my computer to a crawl and it takes almost 3 hours to generate the image.

go to DAZ3d.com and you can see what goes into just one model.
feanor
Woodhelvennin

Post by feanor »

Ayup Marineguy...

I like your renderings, but I always picture Vain with the 'Head of an Ur-Vile'... With Humanoid features worked into an (American) football shaped Head. (and sharpened Teeth, for some reason)Don't ask why, but that's been it since I read my first line of Vain... I think He's great. I love how he sticks it to Findail... (I picture him like 'Willo the Wisp' Google him !) an English Cartoon Character after our fine English Comedian Kenneth Williams.
Nekrimah !
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

marineguy wrote:ZORM

I've been thinking about a multiple character image like Covenent a and Bannor fighting the urviles, I haven't fouind one yet. but actually, all of the characters you see are all the same model DAZ M3 (michael) except Foamfollower, he is the upgrade M4 (michael). The trick (and raw computer power) comes as you add more people, their cloth, their expression, their pose. The software has to remember everything on a character so when you position/pose them, it has to move the clothing to conform with their movement, the hair, the expression, all shadows regenerate, etc.

go to DAZ3d.com and you can see what goes into just one model.
I've been to that site a couple of times during the past few weeks--have looked at various bases and packs and props (found Michael too), and can appreciate the complexity of this medium much, much better now. ;)

The recent Foamfollower piece is one of your best works in my opinion--could I ask you to post a larger version of the picture and/or closeups of FF?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: Vain Closeup

Post by dlbpharmd »

marineguy wrote:Image
WOW! That's the best image we've seen of Vain yet! Well done!
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Zorm wrote:
marineguy wrote:ZORM

I've been to that site a couple of times during the past few weeks--have looked at various bases and packs and props (found Michael too), and can appreciate the complexity of this medium much, much better now. ;)

The recent Foamfollower piece is one of your best works in my opinion--could I ask you to post a larger version of the picture and/or closeups of FF?
I sent you a private message. It's best we do this directly because the hosting site reduces/resizes anything I put up. email me back and I'll attach a full size jpg.

Why is Foamfollower the best?
Mick
Servant of the Land

Post by Mick »

Nice one!
I like this wicked grin image of Vain.
Well done.
No matter how good you think you are at something, there's always someone out there better at it than you.
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Mick wrote:Nice one!
I like this wicked grin image of Vain.
Well done.
thanks mick, for me, the grin was the thing that struck me the most when I first read TC, I imagined it as a "disturbing" grin and in this image I think it is. thanks again.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

marineguy wrote:"his skin from head to foot was as black as the gaps between the stars. His form was perfectly shaped and strong; but his hair was black, his teeth and gums were black, his pupil less eyes were pure midnight."
As far as I remember, it was specifically mentioned that ur-vile skin didn't reflect light. I'll look for a quote. It doesn't guarantee it should be the same for Vain, but most likely this quality is inherited from the ur-viles.
A role-player, beware
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

Effaeldm wrote:
marineguy wrote:"his skin from head to foot was as black as the gaps between the stars. His form was perfectly shaped and strong; but his hair was black, his teeth and gums were black, his pupil less eyes were pure midnight."
As far as I remember, it was specifically mentioned that ur-vile skin didn't reflect light. I'll look for a quote. It doesn't guarantee it should be the same for Vain, but most likely this quality is inherited from the ur-viles.
Mmmm, I'm going to have to try and eliminate the reflection to see how it shows up, thanks! I'll post the results.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

marineguy wrote:
Effaeldm wrote:
Mmmm, I'm going to have to try and eliminate the reflection to see how it shows up, thanks! I'll post the results.
Having totally black skin color and no reflective properties would just make him a silhouette, no? (I don't remember this quote. It seems too otherworldly for beings who, all said and done, are still flesh and blood. Maybe it was in reference to the magical black acid they produce with their staffs?)
marineguy
Ramen

Post by marineguy »

shadowbinding shoe wrote:
marineguy wrote:
Effaeldm wrote: As far as I remember, it was specifically mentioned that ur-vile skin didn't reflect light. I'll look for a quote. It doesn't guarantee it should be the same for Vain, but most likely this quality is inherited from the ur-viles.
Having totally black skin color and no reflective properties would just make him a silhouette, no? (I don't remember this quote. It seems too otherworldly for beings who, all said and done, are still flesh and blood. Maybe it was in reference to the magical black acid they produce with their staffs?)
shading might be the answer for me. to show features I might be able to adjust shades of black. Black may not reflect light but black in the sunlight is a shade lighter than that in the a shadow, I'll try and see....

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”