AATE, chapt. 5: Preparations

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

danlo
Lord

AATE, chapt. 5: Preparations

Post by danlo »

What has gone before wrote: She had resurrected Covenant at a terrible cost. She had purchased the means to reach her son by making herself powerless to aid him. Yet Covenant had reaffirmed his belief in her, his unmerited support. Indeed, he had backed her with such certainty that even the Humbled---the Humbled---had been moved.
Can't play the victim here, eh Linden, TC has taken your crutches away? All the trust and affirmation of this now rather large cast of characters; Giants, Ramen, etc...and yes now, even those obstinate Humbled has weakened her and now she has no choice but to stand alone. Everyone, from Foul to Kastenessen to the Harrow wants her son who, Covenant believes, resembles the plight of the Land (lost and having the life sucked out of it?).

Re the Humbled: who knows what Stave is thinking? The Ramen are shocked, but not sold, Liand is merely shocked (our "protectors" might actually have a flaw? whoa!!!). The Giants don't trust them at all, but the old tales of Covenant must be considered. The Giants discuss the danger of the impending journey, the risks, and the Ardent and Harrow.

Covenant slips away again envisioning the future import of Sandgorgons and getting nowhere.

The Harrow stands apart, impatient as ever.

Liand tries to encourage Linden by running by past events and the loyalty of her friends by her and asks her to consider those of lesser power, such as himself and the Ramen, who have stood by her side unerringly. As expected nothing can console her. She screwed up first with Elena and now Covenant,

"I'm glad you're all coming. But I'm as broken as Covenant is. I've fallen ---somewhere---and I don't know how to climb out."

Liand turns into an old school football coach-'...get up bitch, it's your row to hoe, Staff or not, seal your deal, if you hesitate your son is lost.' Linden tells the company that it's time.

Mathriir has his Cords find sustenance for what may come and forms a deep camaraderie with the Giants. Linden faces her footsteps and thinks, 'if you only have one thing left to do, you better do it right'.

She ponders the krill stuck in Covenant's jeans and wonders how Andelian and the Wraiths will survive without it. Roger doesn't care, Kastenessen too crazy and fixated on the Elohim, the Sandgorgons and scraps of samadhi would love to return to kill the trees, but, for now, are kept busy, but the skurj...ah yi, the skurj... Wherever the company ended up turiya and Joan would try to kill Covenant through the krill.

As Linden realizes she probably messed up even more by agreeing with the Harrow's term she touches her only connection to Jeremiah, the crushed race car, if no one can free him this would be all that was left of him. With Liand's urging she considers Anele's protection and his need for deep stone-once again: he may be the hope of the Land, then again dead weight. Prehaps the race car inspires Linden to think about Jeremiah's constructs at her house: Revelstone and Mt. Thunder. The stone connection and Kiril Threndor where they had once confronted Lord Foul suddenly makes her realize where the Harrow is taking her. Her son's clue was always there...

Anele's prophesies, especially on stone had always been there too. In Salva Gildenbourne he had also spoken of the necessity forbidding of evils. But, what did that mean?

As the company further readies itself, Linden goes towards the Harrow but first stops to confer with the Ardent. Aside from the monitoring, protection and intent of the Insequent, as a whole, she asks him what he, personally will get out of all this, to which he replies 'to be witness to the most unprecedented spectacle, of any lifetime' the gluttony of gluttonies the scope of which even the Harrow cannot appreciate, but in the end, not just for himself, but the Insequent as whole. Nothing compares to this for him, not even the mating of the Nicor or standing atop Melenkurion Skyweir. A front row seat at all things ending, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Linden tries to measure his worth and contributions to this journey, already he has threatened to say the Harrow's true name. He wouldn't stand a chance v. Foul. And now, he even admits that the deep places of the earth scare the hellfire out of him,

"I fear them. They are hazardous beyond estimation. Indeed, some few among the Insequent have perished in their search for knowledge in those depths. I need only name the Auriference."

Wow a another Insequent we haven't hear of before? Highly interesting. Long, long ago she lost her life and mind plumbing such depths, scaring the Insequent almost totally off the Land throughout time because of the banes and evils that consumed her in almost the same spot they are heading.

With the staff and ring in the Harrow's possession and Covenant's mercurial state, even with the krill, they could only rely on the Giants to protect them wherever they emerged and whatever assailed them.

Linden is helpless, Mathriir is eager to face this destiny, Pahni will follow her Manetrall without question despite her growing fears for Liand. Liand is excited and evolving as the last true Stonedowner since the Sunbane. The Giants are ready for anything that results in a tale worth telling. The Harrow grows as impatient as ever and Anele becomes increasingly agitated seeing horror everywhere and Covenant remains in his own world, with his particular struggles, babbling about the time he and Lord Mhoram had watched the hapless Cavewrights going off to die for Foul from above Treacher's Gorge.

Still this is the same Thomas Covenant who had conquered Foul, and more than once.
"Are you done with hesitation, lady?" asked the Harrow acidly. "Even now, the Worm feeds. Ere long, it's hunger will become a convulsion in the fundament of the Earth. Will you at last permit me to uphold our bargain?"
She reminds him he promised to take them all there, to retrieve Jeremiah and get them all out of there. The Ardent assured her that he will work for all the Insequent to ensue that such a thing will happen.

The Harrow positions the group as tightly as possible, with the Giants holding as many as possible leaving only two at the ready to fight, but still, they can't draw weapons in such a cramped circle-this leaves the Haruchai as their only defense. The Harrow and the Adrent's thuergies surround them, and the orcest must be cutoff as not to interfere.

...she had to pray that at least one of her companions possessed the force necessary to make the monster let go---
Leaning against Grueburn's stone cataphract. Linden waited; tried to hope. She felt no power gather around her. Nothing more eldritch than Andelian itself seemed to inhabit the night. But she had never been able to sense the particular magicks of the Insequent. Like the Theomach's and the Mahdoubt's, the Harrow's form of wizardry articulated itself in a dimension of reality or time which lay outside the reach of her perceptions.
She did not know that anything had happened unti the stars, and the deeper night beneath the surrounding trees, and the Hills themselves vanished into utter darkness. Then heavy stone closed over her---over all of her company---like the sealing of a tomb.
Last edited by danlo on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Sorry, now: better edited and my tenses make a bit more sense--that's what I get from trying to do this quicker than I should have. A more 'straight forward' dissection from me than usual-I often go off on some odd tangent that makes me process a bit better. Nonetheless, this chapter is pretty straight forward and as transition is to be, pretty much, expected--what stands out to me is the Sandgorgons future intent, or role, if you will, and the Auriference.

I love to discover new things in the Chronicles, which is probably why I like The One Tree more than most, and now we've just heard of a 6th Insequent that made the mistake of delving too deep into the architypical 'Lord Foul's Bane'. Lost her life? I don't know...highly interesting, in any case. I still wonder exactly where in the Land's world the Insequent arose from...and no V, T, M, H, A & A do not spell out some secret code...I already tried too, LOL.
Last edited by danlo on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Good Dissection Danlo!

The Orcrest interfering with the Harrow's travel. Linden said since it was a thing of earthpower and that that kind of travel was outside of that.

Two things, I wonder if this kind of travel was enabled by all the breaking of laws over the centuries. But also I wonder if the Orcrest will be a more important piece at the end of this series. Im starting to get the impression that Orcrest helps support the structure of the Law. And since its supposed to be part of the 'One' stone perhaps its vital....possibly more important than even the old Lords realized.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Well done, Danlo, a thorough and smooth dissection! I also like how you quoted the WHGB section of the text.

Two things in this chapter stand out for me: the mention of the Auriference and the Ardent's description of the nature of his "greed."

I know that there exist a group of readers who were annoyed at AATE for too much standing around and talking. I bet this is one of the chapters in point. And while I agree that no real events take place in this chapter, I do not agree that what transpires is of no import.

The mentioning of the Auriference seems significant to me for several reasons. Firstly, it seems that the brief tale we get of her is in some way meant to explain the utter lack of any reference to the Insequent in the first two Chronicles. Now, we know that SRD hadn’t even conceived of the Insequent back when he wrote the first two Chronicles, so we can forgive him that. He’s no doubt seeking to establish some internal consistency with them here in the text of this chapter. Page 98 reads “Desiring as did the Theomach to be named the greatest of the Insequent, she found only the loss of use and mind and life. Yet her end was by no act of the Insequent. Rather she was unmade by evils too vicious to be contemplated. For that reason, our kind has largely eschewed the Land, deeming that its perils exceed its grandeur and mystery.” I suppose I’m moderately satisfied with this explanation (as it is), though I’ll like to know more about this Auriference and how she was unmade.
Also, I sense some clue in here about a possible inference to where the Insequent come from, or at least who they’re descendent from. I’m sure such a thing would fall into the “too far outside the text” category for SRD, but the Auriference’s being unmade, her loss of use and mind and life seems somehow portentous to the race as a whole.

As for the Ardent’s description of his particular purpose…well, it’s just downright cool. A taste (from pg. 97): “I crave the experience of that which lacks all precedent and cannot be repeated. I have not attained my happy bulk by repetition, or indeed by quantity, but rather by seeking out and enjoying every form of sustenance which the wide Earth proffers.” With the end of the world apparently imminent, and darkness creeping in, it is nice to have the fat, jolly guy around. :D Additionally, since the world has descended into chaos, the emergence of this character who thirsts after that which is utterly novel and unprecedented is all too apt.

And one more thing…I just love the description of TC at the bottom of pg. 100. “The cut lines of his visage and the gauntness of his frame, even the potential tears in his eyes, did not imply frailty. Rather they conveyed an austere authority. He resembled a sovereign brought low, accustomed to command in spite of his ragged state. In the light of Liand’s Sunstone, his silver hair shone like an oriflamme, and the pale scar on his forehead gleamed like an anointment.” The Thomas Covenant of old is clearly still present in the physical description of this man, yet he is also clearly being shown to have grown beyond the man who had twice defeated Lord Foul.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yes, well done, danlo. A brief, connecting chapter. But still, some things worth discussing.

One thing that stands out for me is early on.
In Against All Things Ending was wrote:According to the contradictory logic of her emotions, he [Covenant] diminished her by denying that her every deed was wrong. If everything that she had done deserved repudiation, at least she knew where she stood. Blame told her who she was. It gave her meaning. Without it, she was less than powerless: she was insignificant.

In that way, her gratitude implied both hope and despair.

Perhaps this was what it meant to have friends and the possibility of love: to become smaller, too inadequate and fallible for words - and thereby to find herself no longer alone. No longer either solely culpable or solely necessary.
So it's good that you opened the chapter with a discussion of Linden and her friends. (Albeit a harsh one.) Because "friends" is what Linden herself is thinking about.

To bear of Ring of Power is to be alone.

Okay, that's from the movie The Fellowship of the Ring. But the sentiment seems to dovetail with Donaldson's words above.

Clearly, Linden's having a hard time coming to grips with what she has done. And her feelings are evolving as time passes and people tell her what their feelings are. She's doesn't quite understand how her friends can still stand her, but she's on the cusp of understanding. Having friends, she is not "solely culpable", not solely to blame. Having friends, she's not "solely necessary" to fix things. Right now, the taste of relief that this idea affords is just gaining traction: she feels weight beginning to lift, but the dismay lingers.

So she has this awkward feeling of being diminished somehow. She hasn't found an alternative to feeling the dense weight of blame, so without that, she doesn't know what to feel. There's an emptiness waiting to be replaced.

But the interesting thing is that these feelings don't come until she's given away the white gold ring and the Staff of Law. Having done so, she's lost her power. Losing her power, she's finally able to see the importance of her friends.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

BTW, and I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet: "Auriference" seems to be a form of the word "Auriforous", which means "gold-containing", especially with respect to minerals. So I suspect that her name derives from the fact that she was a prospector of sorts. Maybe that's why she was down in the Lost Deep.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Interesting... if we look at the last part like it came from 'reference', that comes from Latin 'referre' meaning 'to bear'. So we get 'Gold-bearer' as the meaning of her name.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Cool, I love the addition of possible word roots for the name Auriference. Gold-bearing, gold-containing...either way, it's got something to do with gold.

You know, both she and the Theomach wanted to be the greatest of the Insequent. The Theomach specialized in knowledge of time; the Auriference might have been looking for minerals to mimic white gold. It's a stretch, and really just a passing thought, but there may be something to it...
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Like Wayfriend, I liked the delving into the meaning of friendship and group support versus a lone mentality

Regarding Auriference, I had an impression of a spoiled darling golden girl of her race that went in over her head.

The text hints that there were other unnamed insequent that also perished like her going after the Banes.

Return to “Last Chronicles”