The relocation list

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

The relocation list

Post by lorin »

In four years I will be relocating out of this area. I want to make sure I am running TO something not just running AWAY from something. I am going to take the next four years and explore areas to find my next home. I have no definite criteria. Things I know I want is a diverse community, NOT a senior citizen death town, rural to large town, no big cities, artist community, some english speaking residents. That's about it.

These are the areas that are on my target list to explore
Vermont
Albuquerque, NM
Northern California
San Miguel de Alliende, Mexico
Santa Fe, NM
Taos, NM
Northern Washington State
Lagos, Portugal
Escondido, Mexico
Scotland
Montana
Southern Colorado

Input is appreciated.

Oh, and low humidity 8O
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

You left out Hawaii.
Perfect weather year round, lots of artsy fartsy stuff.
Depending on what side of what island you can have desert conditions to rainforest. And high elevation to low in a few hours drive.
I was there 3 years ago and it's all I ever think about now.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:You left out Hawaii.
Perfect weather year round, lots of artsy fartsy stuff.
Depending on what side of what island you can have desert conditions to rainforest. And high elevation to low in a few hours drive.
I was there 3 years ago and it's all I ever think about now.
Which island?
Is it high cost? I will be living on a pension. Forgot to mention that. My income will be about 60 grand a year.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

One of the suburbs of Portland, OR would be a good choice, as long as you don't mind the rain :D

Lots of diversity, fairly liberal politics (openly gay mayor who had an 18yo boyfriend? Compassionate doctors prescribing organic pain relief?), surprisingly developed tech community, and big craft scene. Not to mention all the craft breweries in the area :D
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Move to Albuquerque, NM. That way, you'll never mis an Elohimfest.
Plus, Danlo will be your neighbor, and you can have him mow your lawn.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I will too---AND no humidity, ticks, poison ivy, traffic jams, high property taxes or Christie. From that income you could live like a Queen here-and you could teach Grace how to become a world class photographer. (well you and her aunt Jenn too...)
fall far and well Pilots!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Ooooh, fun! :) Let's see:

Vermont -- too picket-fence-ish. ;) Also, *serious* winters. And the humidity's not that low.

Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, and southern Colorado are all pretty similar, climate-wise -- either high desert or mountains. Taos is the most "artist colony" of the bunch.

Northern California -- beautiful but not that dry. And not that diverse, either, I suspect, altho I could be wrong.

San Miguel de Allende and Escondido -- I would check 'em out, as long as you don't mind living in a place where you don't speak the same language as any gummint officials you might come in contact with. The climate is going to be similar to NM/CO, I think. I don't know anything about Escondido and all I know about San Miguel is what I saw on that website.

Northern Washington State -- SO not dry. But you'll have friends nearby.

Lagos, Portugal -- I know you love Portugal. :) Dunno much about the climate. Again, if you're comfortable living in a place where the gummint folks don't speak English....

Montana -- No, no, no. Crazy people move there to become hermits -- remember the Unabomber? ;)

Can't speak to Scotland at all.

When it comes to retiring, I keep thinking about practical considerations.

As my parents got older, they needed better medical care than they could get in my hometown (population 30,000 or so), so they ended up having to travel to Chicago. Watching them, I decided that I did *not* want to end up old, sick, and two hours from a decent doctor.

Also, Mom got to the point where she was too old to drive, and our neighborhood had no bus service -- she had to rely on family (none of whom were nearby), friends (which dwindled as she outlived them), and the county van service.

Good docs and good public transit = at least a medium-sized city. That's why I'm looking at cities like Denver and Albuquerque. Unless you're figuring on living in "paradise" 'til you get too old to do for yourself and then move into assisted living or something. Personally, I want to retire, move, and plant myself. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Taos is getting way too full of itself-great hiking and skiing, however...
fall far and well Pilots!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I got that sense about Santa Fe, too. They're really pushing the upper-class angle -- pricey hotels and galleries, the opera, etc. No, I think ABQ is the most "real" of the NM choices on her list. (S. Colorado is the middle of freakin' nowhere...)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Re: The relocation list

Post by stonemaybe »

lorin wrote:In four years I will be relocating out of this area. I want to make sure I am running TO something not just running AWAY from something. I am going to take the next four years and explore areas to find my next home. I have no definite criteria. Things I know I want is a diverse community, NOT a senior citizen death town, rural to large town, no big cities, artist community, some english speaking residents. That's about it.

Oh, and low humidity 8O
How about....
rural to large town - about 100000 residents, max 30 minutes walk to rolling hilly countryside from wherever you are in town.

diverse community - it's english, believe me everywhere in England is diverse!

NOT a senior citizen death town - small university means a decent student population. lots of language schools attract lots of foreign students to learn english.

no big cities - two closest are an hour's drive away, in opposite directions

artist community - local artists arrange an biannual 'art in your home' exhibition where they open their houses to the public to display their art. This year the number of venues (homes) was approaching 100. Annual literature festival (the biggest in UK I believe), science festival, folk music festival, classical music festival, rock/world music festival, food festival, I believe a design festival is being planned for next year. Summer-long local artists exhibition in local park. Large towncentre shop selling local art and handicrafts.

some english speaking residents - about 75% as first language.

humidity - a little bit uncomfortable for maybe 2 weeks a year

$60k a year - you won't live like a king, but you'll be comfortable assuming you've only yourself to support.

Gateway to The Cotswolds

I came here to earn some money to pay off debts, intending to stay 2 years max. Still here 14 years later and I wouldn't dream of moving anywhere else.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Lovely, Stone! The girls and I visited Avebury several years back. (Tried to get to Stonehenge but ran out of time. Plus I got lost. :oops: )

EZ Board Survivor

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Don't come to Ohio... at least, wait for it to devour itself first.

No ticks, Danlo? That's all I would need!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I really liked San Francisco when I was there with SD and Beorn.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

California will tax you to death. Not a good retirement area.

Colorado Springs is awesome. Manitou Springs is exactly what you are describing.

Farragut, TN or anywhere in Tennessee nestled on the west side of the Appalachians is great- and the tax liability for retirees is among the lowest and there is no state income tax. Plus you have a moderate climate and four distinct seasons. There are a lot of artists in and around Gatlinburg.

Eureka Springs AR, and Red Bay, MS are also exactly what you are describing.

You should consider your tax liability if you get serious about somewhere.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

some excellent suggestions. Believe me, this is not a joke. I am taking notes and adjusting the list.

I hadn't really thought about the tax base, something to consider. I will rethink Montana, just love the mountains. I am a bit of a recluse (or I want to be :biggrin: ) so it sounded good.

What do you know about New Zealand?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

lorin wrote:What do you know about New Zealand?
Of the active Watchers, I would say that's Cambo's forte.
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

You may also wish to consider TX, as it has no State income tax. Places like the Hill Country are beautiful, and even small towns around Austin are doing well (Bastrop, Buda, Fredricksburg, New Braunfuls). Close enough to get to things when you want to, quiet enough to leave you alone. You can come further south or west to avoid the humidity that you will find in Houston. I live in Laredo, which is on the border of Mexico. Rich in many ways and artists are appreciated. At least I have been. But I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in terms of Arts.
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

born and raised in new hampshire, lived in vermont. you know the weather. some very beautiful small towns. quiet places. artistic communities. and the most beautiful place on earth.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Northern Cal is great, obviously I am a fan but low humidity, no, not for about half the year. I mean cold fog for winter and a few days of hot humid in summer but the rest of the time it's beautiful. HOWEVER, the cost of living is prohibitive, second most expensive city in the continental us I think. All of the pacific NW is high humidity by my definitions so no go there, anything north of SF has nine months of rain, NINE months of rain, three months of nice days interspersed with uncomfortable hot humid days so about one month of each year its "nice "weather. Overseas, can't allow it. You are NOT allowed to move that far away. Period. End of statement. No discussion, just NOT allowed. Denver, NM and ABQ are fine. No humidity but extreme dry. NO TEXAS. I love you Null and you know that but NO TEXAS. Pick the NM options to lure Null and Mrs. Null to friendlier places. Granted I've said I was considering Portland Oregon for a year and I still am but that is just a year not a permanent move. Too rainy and the ocean is too cold. SF is probably more diversified than Ali might think. She didn't hit the hot spots of diversity although when Danlo and Lady Tam got remarried she did get to walk the streets of the tenderloin. SF is diversified, more immigrants than natives. We have everything from a russian district to a vietnamese district to chinatown and hispanic communities ranging from mexico to el salvador to puerto rico, middle easterners interspersed, irish, japanese, italians all making their mark on this city. It's diverse, trust me.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

dANdeLION wrote:Move to Albuquerque, NM. That way, you'll never mis an Elohimfest.
Plus, Danlo will be your neighbor, and you can have him mow your lawn.
Lawns? They have lawns in Albuquerque?

Menolly wrote:I really liked San Francisco when I was there with SD and Beorn.
Cameraman Jenn wrote: SF is probably more diversified than Ali might think. She didn't hit the hot spots of diversity although when Danlo and Lady Tam got remarried she did get to walk the streets of the tenderloin. SF is diversified, more immigrants than natives. We have everything from a russian district to a vietnamese district to chinatown and hispanic communities ranging from mexico to el salvador to puerto rico, middle easterners interspersed, irish, japanese, italians all making their mark on this city. It's diverse, trust me.
I love SF. But I think SF is just too large. Great town to visit, though (hint, hint)

Return to “General Discussion Forum”