Havelock versus Madeye Moody

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

slow_dancer
Servant of the Land

Havelock versus Madeye Moody

Post by slow_dancer »

I have one question. As I am new to this forum, I might have missed, that this question has already been answered. In this case, I apologize.

I have picked up the novels about Mordant`s need again after a long break. In between I have read the Harry Potter books. And now it comes to my mind, that there are great resemblances between Havelock and Madeye Moody.

Does anyone know, if Joanne K. Rowling was influenced by Donaldson?

Cheers

SD
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

What resemblences are you seeing? I'm not sure I'm with you on this one.

They're both barmy old men with bad hygeine. But Moody never struck me as actually mad...
Spoiler
The real Moody, that is
...more eccentric and acerbic.

Whereas Havelock is obviously completely loopy. :S
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, Slow Dancer!

First to address your content...oops, I am not enough of a Harry Potter aficionado to offer an intelligent response. However, I do have something helpful to add. I suggest that you post a similar question in The J.K. Rowling forum and see if you get a response there. My reasoning is that while not all Watchers in the Mordant's Need forum are Potter readers, it is likely that anyone in the Rowling forum of this board is also a Donaldson devotee (y'think?) and therefore may well have read the Mordant's Need books.

In any case, you will certainly gain the notice of the mod of the Rowling forum (and unofficial Watch concierge), whose ritual greeting to new Watch members is not to be missed.

Second, a side note. What caught my attention more than anything else was the last line of your post, where you signed it. You may notice that I, too, bear those initials in my Watch name. I do not claim any exclusivity there...but there are a lot of people who refer to me by those initials. Just wanted to warn you in case it generates some confusion when we inevitably post in the same threads.

:roll: OK, yes, I scanned for "SD" looking for people talking to me or about me. :oops:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Savor Dam wrote: OK, yes, I scanned for "SD" looking for people talking to me or about me.
I'm going to test this by posting about you in other forums and seeing if you track them down. :twisted: [/quote]
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com

Return to “Mordant's Need”