Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 4: The Estates

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

"I do not drink ... wine." Rudolf frowns as he declines the offer. He smiles politely afterward. "But I appreciate the offer."

Rudolf began, "My Uncle pointed you out. I understand some family members have died due to these hell-spawn. Due to such atrocity, family has asked me to hunt these devil-spawn."

Rudolf paused. "I am just one man as you can tell. I need help. I need more numbers. I was hoping you could help me."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Oh aye. That sounds like this family. Task you with destroying a beast straight from the bowels of Hell, and send you off alone with nothing but your good name to stand on. But, God never asks of us more than we can bear, and he's made us stronger than most for a reason."

He pours himself some of the fortified wine. "Well, I'll assist you as much as I can, of course. But what will you have of me? I know nothing of hunting Hellspawn."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

The two were separated from anybody that would overhear or protect Count Teschen. Rudolf felt satisfied with how this worked out. He looked Count Teschen right in the eye. [Use of 'Entrancement' on Count Teschen] The time for pleasantries had ended.

"The hell-spawn I am hunting resembles a large wolf, though they're larger and more dangerous. They all share a potent weakness however, and that is a weakness to silver. Whether it is the pureness of the metal I do not know. But I know it works very well.

"This is why I need you. I understand you have a fortified holding on the Southern road. I also understand you have some armsmen at your disposal. I assume you have hunters at your disposal too. I also assume you have the resources to arm these men with silver.

"Could you please lend me your men and resources?"

Rudolf looked at Count Teschen with a glint of hunger in his eyes. The look was not bloodthirsty though, Rudolf merely wondered if he should let Count Teschen have some of his blood. He wondered if he should cement their alliance.

"There is one last thing." Rudolf turned away from Count Teschen for a second. He bared his fangs to cut open his wrist. He turned back to face Count Teschen and grinned in an eerie fashion. Rudolf forced his bloody wrist to Count Teschen's lips. "Drink!"
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

The Baron's demeanor changes slightly as Rudolf unleashes his Cainite will. [3 success = 1wk]

"Aye, I have a small holding, really nothing more than a hunting lodge, but it's walled about in case there are bandits. It's a good ways to the south of here, and the patrols aren't so frequent. I've armsmen and hunters."

"But silver, my Lord… the whole city's looking for silver. The price is already five times what it was before the first attack. Merchants are charging twice the normal price as far away as Berlin, just to sell it to us here. Oh, it's very dear indeed. I have some, but not enough to equip all my men."

"And nobody knows how to smith weapons from the stuff. Arrowheads, to be certain, and warhammers seem simple enough, but aught that should hold an edge… silver's no weapon for a blade. Maybe some pike heads, I guess? But we still haven't enough for everyone."

When Rudolf turns, bleeding arm held as if to choke him, the man struggles in spite of his adoration. But his surprise is soon quelled, and he simply takes what's given to him.
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

“I apologise for the surprise,” Rudolf said. There was no sign of sincerity in Rudolf’s voice. Rudolf watched the Baron struggle in apathy. “I have made a promise to somebody very important and I need your help in fulfilling it. The only way I can trust you is to place you into servitude. Never speak of what I just did to anyone or I will be very sad.”

Rudolf pulled his arm away from the greedy mouth. He licked his wounds. The self-inflicted injury healed up.

The annoyance in Rudolf’s eyes was apparent. The prospect of many guardsmen armed with silver, tasked to defend Rudolf in his glorious quest, dwindling. Rudolf learned a valuable lesson. He learned to hate the simple economics of supply and demand – the entire concept ruined everything.

“I see,” Rudolf replied. “My idea will not work wholly as planned; however, I believe some good men armed are better than none.”

Rudolf looked at the Baron and smiled kindly. “Thank you, Count Teschen, your knowledge and insight is appreciated.

“I only need capable hunters at this moment, to be honest. These creatures are wolf-like enough that tracking them should be a lot like any other game. However, wolf-like also means they’re likely to be found in small groups or packs.

“I only need a group of two of your best, most loyal hunters and five of your best, most loyal armsmen. There should be enough silver to arm these men with silver-tipped arrows, right?

“Perhaps the attack on the East Gate has answers. I wonder if we can find the prints of an escapee around those parts, or maybe the prints of their origins.”

Rudolf paused. “I have another important request to make of you Count Teschen. I will need to meet you again tomorrow night. I will also need to meet with you the following night. I am sure you are willing to put aside the time.”
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Visibly conflicted with himself about the situation, Teschen nonetheless licks the last of the blood from his lips. "Hunters I have, though none so good as my son Adel. His man Jorg is nearly his equal... perhaps his better, but he's too wise to let on in front of my boy. And all my armsmen are loyal. They all have wives and children on my land, and I keep my men well provided for."

"Give me a day, perhaps two, to gather the silver. It'll cost, but a wolf's pelt cloak doesn't come cheap." Then he blushes a bit red. "As for tomorrow night and the night after... would you be my guest here those two nights? Perhaps by that second sundown, the arrows will be ready and the men gathered."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf looked the Count dead in the eye. “I can only hope that everything is ready in two nights. However, I do not mind if it takes you longer – just not too long.”

Rudolf then clasped the man’s shoulder and smiled. “Anyway, thank you for the invitation. I will be happy to be your guest.”
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

The count's smile is more reminiscent of a child being given a gift than of a Lord granting a boon. After a moment, he notices and gets a firmer grip on his emotions. Or, at least, on his expression of emotions.

"Excellent, my Lord. Then I will instruct my man to see to the arrangements. Please, make yourself comfortable for a few moments."

He steps out of the study, and returns several minutes later. "My Lord..." he begins, then seems to lose momentum.
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf makes himself comfortable. Rudolf looks at the Count with a smile as the man returns.

"Count Teschen...? What is it?"
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Oh... nothing My Lord. Your rooms are ready for the night, if you wish to retire."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf makes a serious expression. "I see. If I am to stay the night and day, could I inspect the rooms first? I have very particular tastes."

Rudolf stands up and allows the Count to take the lead.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Of course, Lord. And if they're not to your tastes, any others in my manse are yours for the asking. If I might know your requirements, I could recommend one more likely to suit. My own rooms are available to you as well, if you find them suitable."

Rudolf finally realizes what has been strange about the Count's demeanor recently. He's acting like a schoolboy with his first crush. Unsure if he should approach or hold his tongue, he instead is keeping himself to the formalities, since he knows what those interactions should be.
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

"I am incredibly tired from my journey. I will likely sleep all day tomorrow and I don't want to be disturbed at all. I will need a room with an inside lock."

Rudolf gave Teschen a serious look. "I don't want to be bothered by any of your servants or family. I will also need your darkest room. I would prefer to sleep through the entire day. Light ruins my rest.

"I assure you will I be up in time for dinner. I will be able to meet the rest of your family. I will get up of my own accord. I just ask not to be disturbed until that time."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Of co... Yes Lord."

Teschen shows Rudolf to the various rooms in the place. The most light-proof one is actually an interior room. The decore is surprisingly delicate, and Teschen adds, "In my grandfather's day, his betrothed was forced to stay with him many months prior to the wedding. Some kind of conflict made her own home too dangerous to keep her, I think. So her family insisted on this suite. There are no windows, so nobody can sneak in or out. There is the inner room where grandmother stayed, and the outer room where her chaperone kept guard. It bars from the inside, so that the suite is secure."

He chuckles slightly. "Grandfather shared with me much later that the chaperone was a notorious drunk, and could easily be bribed to allow him entrance anyway. Still, the rooms I think you will find to your taste. And they're in a quieter corner of the house, so there's less comings and goings during the day."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

"I am happy with this room."

Rudolf grinned at Count Teschen. "Thank you. I will have to bid you goodnight now. I am tired. I hope you have a good sleep Count Teschen.

"But please remember... I am a very private person. I trust you implicitly when I ask that nobody disturb me while I rest during the day."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Yes, of course Lord. Sleep well; you will not be disturbed."

Teschen leaves Rudolf alone in his room.

[I guess this wraps up the evening, then. Let's chill for a bit, to let the other threads catch up, so we can roll to the next sundown together.]

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”