Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 4: The Estates

Moderator: Goatkiller666

Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 4: The Estates

Post by Goatkiller666 »

It is the evening of April 12th, 1205. Day 24 of the lunar cycle, and so there is a half moon (waning) in the sky tonight. Except that the sky has become overcast late in the day, and now the moon and stars cannot be seen. Without some source of light, it will be very difficult to see while outside (mystical powers not withstanding). Other than the overcast, the weather isn't expected to get worse for another couple days.

Faelan

Faelan wakes in his haven. Everything is as he expects it.
Last edited by Goatkiller666 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Vampire: Dark Ages (Vienna) - Chapter 4: The Estates

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Rudolf

At the North Gate, a mounted man arrives outside the gates. Per recent custom, the gates are closed, and the man dismounts and approaches them. He pounds on the small window, also closed, three times in a certain pattern.

The window opens, and a guardsman looks out for a moment. "Who are you, who knocks at this hour?" The man looks at him, then whispers a name.

"Put on the cross next to the gate." says the guard. The man looks, and there's a small silver cross on a leather cord. He pulls the cord over his neck and looks at the guard. After a moment, the guard nods, steps back, and the gate swings open.

The man leads his horse through the gate, and the guard closes the gate again, barring it firmly. Almost as if he doesn't notice the man anymore, he turns and returns to the guard booth where his comrades are huddled over a small lamp.

Another man steps out from the shadows, to be seen by the rider. The newly arrived rider immediately kneels before the shadowy man, who places a hand on his head. "Rise, nephew. Be welcome here." When both are standing again, the shadowy figure pulls the leather cord and silver cross off his nephew and hangs it again on a hook inside the gate. "They'll want not to lose that, I believe. Come, let us introduce you to the Prince. Her Majesty will be pleased to see more allies, in this time of troubles."

The two men, walking side by side with the horse following behind, make their way to the Prince's manse. The guards don't rise from their spots, as if they don't see anything, though a stable boy does approach to take the horse away. The two continue in through the manse's halls to the Prince's private chambers. The uncle knocks politely, then opens the doors.

"Your Majesty, may I present to you a nephew of my blood, Rudolf Garnett. He comes from Schwabia, where he has ably served my younger brother, his sire for many years. With your permission, I have invited him to stay here in Vienna, though that was before these recent troubles with the lupines. Still, I cannot think but that additional members of our clan can only help."

Rudolf steps forward and kneels at the Prince's feet, and kisses her signet ring. "Your Majesty. Thank you for the gracious invitation. My Sire sends his greetings as well."

The Prince, a stern faced older woman in royal attire, bows her head to the greeting. "You're another of Jurgen's brood?" Without waiting for a response, she continues, "Your grandsire was always a thorn in my side, but I cannot doubt his ability to choose capable childer. Be welcome here in Vienna. You will answer to your Uncle, and he will answer for your behavior."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf gives the Prince his most sincere smile. Curiosity, however, does get the better of him.

"Your Majesty, you said something about Lupine...?"
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Yes. Wolves. There have been several attacks against our city recently. One of them was at our very gates, though we were able to fight them off without many casualties."

"Are you a hunter, perhaps? We would welcome anyone adventerous enough to bring us back some of these beasts."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

"I am no hunter but I am intrigued."

Rudolf paused in thought. "In light of Your Majesty's hospitality, I would love to make myself useful. What do you think, Uncle? Maybe I am being too bold here."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Otto considers for a moment. "Success would bring great renown for you and your sire. Failure would bring shame. Just be sure what you're about, when you risk our family's pride."

The Prince waves dismissively. "Posh. He can bring some mortals with him, armed with silver. Our ability to sway the kine is as much a power of the blood as mystic strength. Do not underestimate it in your quest for glory."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

"I have just arrived. I am not fully familiar with Vienna."

Rudolf adds, "But I am a glutton for renown. I will amass some useful kine, as suggested by Your Majesty." Rudolf looks to Otto for support.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

Otto grins. "Indeed, a hunting party is just the thing. If a gangrel can defeat a pack of lupines at the door, just with some guardsmen firing silver arrows... imagine what a ventrue could do?"
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf grins back at Otto. "Then it is decided! We should get preparations underway as soon as possible." Rudolf's eyes beam. "I knew Vienna would be interesting."

Rudolf will respectfully ask the Prince if there is anything else she wants from him.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"My Lord von Habsberg, your new vassel is most eager to adventure. Pray do not let me detain him further." Says the Prince, with a smile.

Otto leads Rudolf out of the Prince's Manse, and stops at the gate. The stable boy scampers off to retrieve Rudolf's horse, while Otto asks, "So, what would you like to know about the city, so that you may begin? I have a few minutes to spare this evening."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

"Thank you, Uncle. I only have one pertinent question." "I will need capable kine for this venture. Where would the barracks or some other such be located?"

After Otto has answered, Rudolf will then make his way to Otto's suggestion.
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"The city guard are already owned, nephew. I wouldn't recommend trying to coopt them for your own use. Your best bet would be to attach yourself to one of the smaller noble families. The largest ones are owned, but smaller families would still have armsmen of their own."

He stops to think. "Hrm. You might try the Teschen family. The Count has a manor within the city at <insert location here>, but also a small fortified holding on the Southern road <insert location here>. They have ties to our Schwabian roots, as well. They would welcome you as their own cousin, I'm sure."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf will politely bow. "Farewell, Uncle. You have been a great help. Goodnight."

Further, Rudolf will make his way to the The Count's manor, deciding the best course of action is to create an ally as well as maybe sew the seeds for a future haven. If Rudolf could convince The Count to aid him, giving Rudolf legitimate claim over the kine's fortified holdings, then Rudolf would be more adequately prepared for his dangerous quest. Of course, Rudolf had no clue if his plan would succeed or not.

Edit --

[And Rudolf will make his way clumsily to The Count's manor on his steed, as his player was foolish enough not to invest any dots in the Ride and Animal Ken skills. lol]
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

[No dots of Ride are needed to do simple things like move around at a walk, mount, dismount, etc. Anything requiring serious skill, like fighting on a horse, or calming a scared horse down, those take rolls. So, you can use this for transportation (and as a status symbol) just fine.]

It's still early evening, after dark. The Count's manor has a stone wall around it, with a small garden inside it, surrounding the actual manor house. There are, of course, guards on the gates.
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf arrives, dismounts and then approaches the gate. He gives the guards a friendly smile and greets them. "I am Rudolf Garnett. I wish to see Count Teschen." Rudolf adds, "The matter is rather urgent."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

One of the guards bows to Rudolf, and moves off into the manor. "At once, Lord."

The guard returns after a few minutes with a servant. "This way, your Lordship. The Count is in the stables." He offers to take Rudolf's horse and leads them around the side of the manor to the stables, a large affair with room for at least a dozen horses.

An older man in noble finery is there, brushing down a magnificant beast himself. On seeing his new guest and the servant with the horse, he tells the man "See to his horse, Nils." Then he puts his brush down, wipes his hand on his pants leg, and offers it to Rudolf.

"My servants will take fine care of your animal, sir. Have no fear. But for this one," he waves at his own horse, "I'll let none but myself touch her. And in battle, she'll let none but myself near her."

Count Teschen is a large man, older but not bent with years. He has the aire of one who has worked hard to keep himself in fighting trim, in spite of the demands of Lordship on his time. His grey hair and gotee are meticulously trimmed.

"So, what can I do for you? And perhaps more importantly, whom do I have the honor of addressing?"
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf politely accepts Count Teschen's hand and smiles, although inwardly he feels suspicious of the gesture. "You have the honour of addressing Rudolf Garnett from Schwabia." Cheek tinted Rudolf's tone. "I have just arrived in Vienna. I was told by my Uncle to come here. He said you may have Schwabian roots and may be able to help me."

Ending sincerely with, "I do apologise for the timing."
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

"Schwabia, eh? Then we must be nearly kin." He shakes Rudolf's hand firmly, and smiles. "For a cousin, this late hour means nothing. And if you are fresh from the road at this hour, you must have been outside the walls after curfew."

"It's enough to get your heart racing, is it not? But I hope you'll not judge our fair town from these hidden enemies outside the walls. We'll soon crush these hellspawn, and then... Why... the walls will open, and the people will pour forth into the countryside. Just in time for summer and the growing season."
Rudolf
Ramen

Post by Rudolf »

Rudolf's eyes noticeably twinkle at the mention of hell-spawn. "Vienna is lovely," Rudolf says, "but that makes this invasion even more tragic."

"I came here because Vienna is well-regarded as culturally sophisticated and civilised. This is not wrong. However, my timing is unfortunate - and I blame these enemies hidden outside the walls. This is not the first time I have heard of these hell-spawn, though." Rudolf gives Count Teschen a meaningful look. "I admit my visit is not just for sightseeing. I have some important business to discuss and we should talk somewhere private." [Use of 'Awe']
Goatkiller666
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Goatkiller666 »

At the prospect of secret meetings with out-of-town kin, augmented by Rudolf's Awe, Count Teschen leads his new guest into the manor proper. Through several sets of doors into a small, warmly lit stone room, he leads Rudolf, latching the final two doors behind him.

"There. Nobody can hear us, except from that outer room, which is also empty and locked. You will find no more secure a spot outside of the Duke's own palace, I've no doubt." He waves towards a small cauldron on a hook by the fire, pulled away from the flames for a moment. "Mulled wine? The monks here have a way of fortifying it... it will keep you warm no matter how chill the room." After Rudolf's answer, "So, what is your business? How may I help Vienna or Schwabia, cousin?"

Return to “Vampire: Dark Ages”