Art: Coldspray, Grueburn (edited)

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Art: Coldspray, Grueburn (edited)

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Meh, random inspiration. Not very feminine, certainly not Miss Universe material, but one can probably thank GRRM for sweeping the last vestiges of stereotypical fantasy warrioress imagery out of my attic. :P Besides, I wouldn't expect someone with a second name like 'burning for gore=grue' to appear all prim and twee. I don't know what's up with the 80's hair metal hair, though; perhaps I'll fix it someday. XD

Feedback always welcome.
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed May 08, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Awesome!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I think it's great! Grueburn's face is a bit masculine for me. Really love Coldspray though. :) Sorry I don't comment much on your artwork but I'm a *huge* fan! :D
Khazduk
Woodhelvennin

Post by Khazduk »

Great work as always, Zorm! Tbh, I've had some problems distinguishing the giants in the lasts chrons from each other, and this gave me a good push in the right direction. :)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Nomnomnom skurjheart. :P Grueburn in her element.
Seareach wrote:Grueburn's face is a bit masculine for me.
She does indeed looks a tad masculine in the face, but that's how I originally imagined her: a huge, clunky boaster of a woman, loud and the butt of everyone's jokes. Furthermore, what I'm somewhat trying to demonstrate with that horrible sketch above, is that with certain expressions, femininity is partially driven away (inviting everyone of female persuasion to try that in front of a mirror :biggrin:). I could give over-wide, bragging grins and such deranged grimaces as examples.

I also imagined the male Giants as walking tubs of testosterone, with brick-shaped jaws and, what I gathered from the first descriptions of Foamfollower in LFB, prominent, Neanderthal-ish browridges. So she'd still probably look 'feminine' according to their culture(?). Granted, I've drawn my version of Gossamer fairly delicate in the face, but then again, she was expressly depicted as beautiful, whereas most of the new Swordmainnir are left as unidentifiable background-hoverers. All I could find about Grueburn was one passages mentioning her broad shoulders. I guess that first and foremost, I'm attempting to give them some character and visages easily distinguishable from one another.

Eääh...did that make any sense whatsoever? I'm rather tired, ought to be in bed, and here I am rambling about the physique of fictional Giants. XDD

Khazduk wrote:Tbh, I've had some problems distinguishing the giants in the lasts chrons from each other, and this gave me a good push in the right direction.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do here, glad it helped. :)

Anyhow, thanks everyone! :biggrin:
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Those are wonderful. I too have a hard time even keeping track of who is who with the giants. They all sort of blend into a giant shaped wedge. It's really interesting how you've taken the smallest details and made distinct characters with them. :D
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Ananda wrote:Those are wonderful. I too have a hard time even keeping track of who is who with the giants. They all sort of blend into a giant shaped wedge. It's really interesting how you've taken the smallest details and made distinct characters with them. :D
Thanks. :D

For the most part, the reader's left using their names and random bits of dialogue as inspiration, so it really requires some effort. I truly miss the memorable characterizations of Honninscrave, Foamfollower, etc. Coldspray's quite tangible, but the rest, the rest... :/
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

More great stuff, Zorm.

(But now I am confused: is that Frostheart Grueburn in skurjheart, or Rime Coldspray? I ask because I thought I saw another sketch where it was Rime Coldspray who had the long curly locks ... but maybe I am misremembering, or confusing with The First.)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

wayfriend wrote:More great stuff, Zorm.

(But now I am confused: is that Frostheart Grueburn in skurjheart, or Rime Coldspray? I ask because I thought I saw another sketch where it was Rime Coldspray who had the long curly locks ... but maybe I am misremembering, or confusing with The First.)
Thanks. :D That's Grueburn. The wrestler grandma with some teeth missing in the first image is Coldspray (she's supposed to be much older than the other Swordmainnir and have a short coiffure, at least according to FR). Grueburn has that big, flyaway hair--darkish red, if I ever get around coloring her--a hooked nose, and a cataphract sans status symbols (compare with Coldspray's crossed swords and a raised-up, gauntleted fist, "ironhand"). Not sure, but might you be referring to this image? That's a proto-Grueburn groping inside the skurj; I've kept the armor nigh-on the same, as well as the general looks, her visage being perhaps a bit longer.

Rime never got around studying the innards of a skurj; she was busy imprisoning Longwrath at that time. I checked. :D

(Apparently I still manage to confuse people....ah well, trying my best not to. ;))

Return to “Fatal Revenant”