Unfettered by the Last Chronicles (continued)

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

nhoj
Servant of the Land

glossamer glowlimn

Post by nhoj »

Zorm wrote:
shadowbinding shoe wrote:Could it be because they are simple soldiers living the simple life? (many of us were disappointed with the current crop of giants)
I always assumed this to be the case, judging by the names mostly relating to strength or battle: Cabledarm--described as very strong, probably pointing to huge, veiny arms, Grueburn--'burning/yearning for gore', Halewhole--'wholly robust' or something in those lines, Bluntfist--no explanations needed there.

I was also disappointed in the lack of feature and character development regarding the Giants. They're one of the main reasons why I've been hogging on SRD, after all. Someone ought to remedy this by writing some fanfiction, which is the common way to explore minor characters in just about any fandom. However, to my disheartenment, all I can find is a complete absence of stories, even when it comes to the previous chronicles. I admit that the TCTC following isn't all that humongous, but this still strikes me as peculiar, especially since I participate in fandoms with an active fanbase of 30-50 and still can uncover a plenty of fanfics (of stellarly varying qualities, but regardless).

Nevertheless, I still found the 2-3 most prominently featured Giants more complex and colorful than Liand or the Ramen-whatsists the poor plot has been forced to cart along ever since ROTE.

ussusimiel wrote:Now a couple of things strike me. In the 2nd Chrons the names of the Giants we spend the most time with: Pitchwife, The First (Gossamer Glowlimn), Mistweave, Grimmand Honninscrave, Cable Seadreamer, are all, in some way, a bit abstract.
Perhaps this is subjective, but I perceived them quite as literally as the names in the 3rd chrons. For instance:

-Heft Galewrath: a woman described as stocky or heavyset, with a huge stamina to oppose storms and hardship (ie. the way she held the rudder even when Starfare's Gem was about to keel over)

-Gossamer Glowlimn: The first name likely refers to her very, very soft, even insecure core beneath all the hard Swordmain resolve. Upon reading TOT/WGW carefully, one can't miss this sliver of vulnerability, and it appears to be one of the reasons why she's dragging Pitchwife, the spiritual leader of the Search, everywhere. Granted, that's a bit abstract, but anyhow relates to her character. The second name I understood to mean a very pale complexion ('outlined with a glow').

-Cable Seadreamer: slapped into the face with a cable, thus receiving the gift or curse of Earth-Sight ('sea dreamer')

-Grimmand Honninscrave: Grim-Hand Honors-Crave (from the GI), also quite literal/straightforward in my opinion, especially the last name pointing out his unsated ambition
I find some of your name understandings rather good,
Matter of fact I think your right on the button. The only thing I'd add is the "limn" part. It means "to illuminate as by painting, drawing; to portray in words". It is also used to describe the awareness of the limit of perceptions, much the opposite of "subliminal" which is below the limits of conscious perception. The definition of Gossamer would lend itself to "light, filmy" and the Glow "to emit a soft light", Limn "barely above the level for conscious perception", IMHO, lends itself to a person that could be of the same cloth and fabric as Tolkiens Elves. In my eye shes not as thickly muscled, heavily bodied, but maintains a leadership role with a heart and passion for her people, and those whom she serves or has attached herself to.
nhoj

"Life is an education, Some semesters are more expensive than others
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

nhoj wrote:In my eye shes not as thickly muscled, heavily bodied, but maintains a leadership role with a heart and passion for her people, and those whom she serves or has attached herself to.
Hi nhoj, good to meet you! :wave:

I agree with you, the First has the lithe quickness of an athlete which she needs to wield a sword. I wonder are male Giants too muscle-bound to be good with a sword? (Are there any male Giantish warriors?) I think this quickness may also be related to the ability to be decisive (which also led to her being First). When there isn't time for Giantclaves there is a need to be able to make quick (for Giants) decisions.

u.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

I always thought SRD did the females as the sworders because he wanted to toss in role reversal and I didnt think it went further than that.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

ussusimiel wrote:
nhoj wrote:In my eye shes not as thickly muscled, heavily bodied, but maintains a leadership role with a heart and passion for her people, and those whom she serves or has attached herself to.
I agree with you, the First has the lithe quickness of an athlete which she needs to wield a sword. I wonder are male Giants too muscle-bound to be good with a sword? (Are there any male Giantish warriors?) I think this quickness may also be related to the ability to be decisive (which also led to her being First). When there isn't time for Giantclaves there is a need to be able to make quick (for Giants) decisions.
Welcome, nhoj!

I've based my artistic impression of the First partially upon her name: she's about a head shorter than Honninscrave, somewhat on the delicate side for a Giantess, and possesses a fair complexion (the latter being perhaps a subjective notion).

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=2067

(Eägh, the breastplate design kinda makes me cringe now; I like much better the armor I've given to Grueburn & co. It's really a perkeleen Breast. Plate. :hithead:)

Otherwise, she's definitely very loyal and passionate about the well-being of her people.

As for the male Swordmainnir, we currently have one stomping about, described as a naturally gifted warrior and yet built akin to the rest of the men. Don't have FR perching upon the desk right now, but within, Coldspray recounts in detail about the reversal of gender roles in this craft. Something about Giantesses having a flightier temper and the males channeling their passions to more enduring targets like building ships. Perhaps the females thus are quicker decision-makers.

Besides, what I recall from the 2nd chrons, for instance Pitchwife appeared to have the 'nimbleness of a haruchai' in spite of his twisted spine and grotesquely muscled limbs. So I wouldn't presume the males being any less suited to wield a sword.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Home sweet mess, here it was underneath some comics and a cornerstone-shaped tome about Hungarian prehistory. :?

Coldspray tells:

"Rare among our men, Widenedworld was drawn to the Swordmain craft. In jest, we say that our men are too soft of heart for battle. However, the truth is merely that their passions flow differently. All Giants love stone and sea, permanence at rest and permanence in motion, but the adoration of our men is more direct. They are drawn to the fashioning of ships and dwellings intended to endure. Perhaps because the joy of birth and children is both uncommon and fleeting, our women seek skills and purposes which are likewise fleeting. So it occurs that we are women, as you have seen."

"Yet Exalt wished to join the Swordmainnir -- and so he was made welcome. Thereafter his training revealed that he was prodigious in both might and aptitude, born to the sword and all weapons. Were our present plight a Search, and he whole in mind, I do not doubt that he would be the First."
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Thanks for sourcing that Zorm. I remember it from my reading. It gives an interesting twist to the whole warrior thing and makes a surprising connection between childbirth and 'fleeting' things.

u.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”